Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK20 ethernet backhaul: does it really work???

rootard
Aspirant

Orbi RBK20 ethernet backhaul: does it really work???

Hello

I've just bought a RBR20 + RBS20 pack, it works great but I could'nt succeed with ethernet backhaul.
I read the Netgear manual and FAQ and almost all posts on this forum, each time I connect the ethernet cable to the sattelllite its blue light turns purple.

My RBR20 is configured as an access point not a router. I've updated both devices to the latest 2.3.5.26 firmware, rebooted both devices, reset the sattelite, tried with and without day chain, tried to first sync through ethernet nothing works.
Also Netgear indicates they offer 3 months free support their website says support period is over!!!
I see some of you succeded, I'd be curious to understand if you are running the latest FW and what different procedure you used

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
rootard
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBK20 ethernet backhaul: does it really work???

After spending some extra hours I've come to the following conclusion:

in order to pair the satellite you first need to boot with both devices connected by ethernet AND both devices close to 20cm, not sure why...afterwards you can move the satellite to its final location and reconnect it to ethernet.

The web console will reflect a wire connectivity instead of wifi and all mobile devices connected to the satellite will be shown as wired. Also the iOS app incorrectly states the satellite in purple but the speed tests prove that it's operational 

Hope it will help some of you

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@rootard wrote:

each time I connect the ethernet cable to the sattelllite its blue light turns purple.

According to the Netgear web site (https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-router-and-satellite-mean)

on the satellite top ring:

Solid blue. If your Orbi satellite ring is solid blue for 10 seconds, the connection between your Orbi router and satellite is good.

Solid magenta. Your Orbi satellite ring is solid magenta for 10 seconds if it is unable to obtain the IP address from the router.

Turning blue for 10 seconds and then immediately red (magenta) would seem to indicate that the two can "connect", but when the satellite makes a DHCP request, "what is my IP address?", it gets nothing in return.  (Not from the Orbi router, which is in AP mode, but from whatever router is assigning IP addresses.)

The post said the Orbi system "works great".  Is it correct to conclude that the satellite was first "synced" with the router over WiFi (in the same room is fine for initial connection.  Later, they need to be separated so their WiFi signals will not interfere.)  Using WiFi, does the Attached Devices page show the satellite as connected and having an IP address?  If my memory is correct, I believe the practice is to sync the satellite first over WiFi and move on to ethernet after the WiFi connection has been successful.

(Disclaimer: I do not have this model Orbi, but scads of people have successfully used ethernet backhaul.)

Message 2 of 4
rootard
Aspirant

After spending some extra hours I've come to the following conclusion:

in order to pair the satellite you first need to boot with both devices connected by ethernet AND both devices close to 20cm, not sure why...afterwards you can move the satellite to its final location and reconnect it to ethernet.

The web console will reflect a wire connectivity instead of wifi and all mobile devices connected to the satellite will be shown as wired. Also the iOS app incorrectly states the satellite in purple but the speed tests prove that it's operational 

Hope it will help some of you

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Most setups need the RBS to connect first via wireless. Then connect the ethernet cable to the RBS. 

Also disable Daisy Chain as this isn't needed for ethernet connected RBS. 

@rootard wrote:

Hello

I've just bought a RBR20 + RBS20 pack, it works great but I could'nt succeed with ethernet backhaul.
I read the Netgear manual and FAQ and almost all posts on this forum, each time I connect the ethernet cable to the sattelllite its blue light turns purple.

My RBR20 is configured as an access point not a router. I've updated both devices to the latest 2.3.5.26 firmware, rebooted both devices, reset the sattelite, tried with and without day chain, tried to first sync through ethernet nothing works.
Also Netgear indicates they offer 3 months free support their website says support period is over!!!
I see some of you succeded, I'd be curious to understand if you are running the latest FW and what different procedure you used

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7