Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK22 - Diminished Speed when Connected to LG OLED55B7P TV (both Wireless and Ethernet)

thomer41
Aspirant

Orbi RBK22 - Diminished Speed when Connected to LG OLED55B7P TV (both Wireless and Ethernet)

I just purchased an Orbi RBK22 and set it up right out of the box without any problems. I tested the speed and was getting what I expected, just over 100 mbs. I went to connect my LG OLED55B7P TV to the wireless which connected fine, but the speed dropped drastically to 20-30 mbs. I tried hardwiring via Ethernet cable from the satellite directly to the TV and got the same results.

I have Spectrum internet (100 Mbs) with their cable modem: Ubee DDW36C.

My Orbi is from Costco: RBK22 (NETGEAR Orbi Mini AC2200 Tri-Band Wi-Fi System, 2-pack)

Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK22 - Diminished Speed when Connected to LG OLED55B7P TV (both Wireless and Ethernet)

Sometimes products have been in the supply chain for some time before reaching the customer.  You might want to check to see which firmware is on this Orbi and compare it to the Netgear support site.

i.e. use a web browser to connect to http://orbilogin.net and the firmware version appears in the upper right hand corner.  On the Orbi app, click on the Home Icon (upper left), then on Settings.

Current firmware for the RBR20 is found here: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR20.aspx#download 

Note that it seems unlikely that firmware version would account for this situation, but if the situation persists that is the first question people will ask.

How are you testing internet speed?

Message 2 of 5
thomer41
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBK22 - Diminished Speed when Connected to LG OLED55B7P TV (both Wireless and Ethernet)

firmware is up-to-date.  Using the spectrum speed test ont he PC, Orbi app to test wireless, and using the Spectrum Speed test on the internet page of the TV.

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Is the tv streaming internet content at the same time that the speed test is being run?

(I am really "reaching" here.  Nothing pops out as an explanation.)

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@thomer41 wrote:

I just purchased an Orbi RBK22 and set it up right out of the box without any problems. I tested the speed and was getting what I expected, just over 100 mbs. I went to connect my LG OLED55B7P TV to the wireless which connected fine, but the speed dropped drastically to 20-30 mbs. I tried hardwiring via Ethernet cable from the satellite directly to the TV and got the same results.

I have Spectrum internet (100 Mbs) with their cable modem: Ubee DDW36C.

My Orbi is from Costco: RBK22 (NETGEAR Orbi Mini AC2200 Tri-Band Wi-Fi System, 2-pack)

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7