Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK22 Firmware Update Question

mikosh6
Aspirant

Orbi RBK22 Firmware Update Question

My RBK22 router and satellite are currently using firmware version 2.5.1.16

When I have the router check for a firmware update it shows this as the latest version.

However, the Netgear site shows two later versions, V 2.6.1.36 and V 2.6.1.38

Anyone have any idea why my router refuses to find either of the two later versions? Would I be OK to download V 2.6.1.38 and manually update the router and satellite?

Thanks.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK22 Firmware Update Question

@mikosh6 wrote:

When I have the router check for a firmware update it shows this as the latest version.

Anyone have any idea why my router refuses to find either of the two later versions? Would I be OK to download V 2.6.1.38 and manually update the router and satellite?

Thanks.

Orbi firmware is a MESS.  You are entirely correct that the Netgear support web site offers newer firmware for Orbi models that the "Firmware Update" web function does not detect.  I have seen no official explanation.  Sometimes the Orbi "app" announces new firmware that the Orbi web interface does not.  Some users get email from Netgear announcing new firmware. Others (like me) do not.

There should be no "harm" in manually installing the new firmware (satellites first) because you can always "go back" by manually installing the"16" firmware.  Please bear in mind that occasionally people report on the forum that their Orbi is "locked up" and they cannot Factory Reset it or downgrade firmware.

Some of us on the forum have sort of a mantra, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."  (I remain on  "16".)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@mikosh6 wrote:

Thanks.

Orbi firmware is a MESS.  You are entirely correct that the Netgear support web site offers newer firmware for Orbi models that the "Firmware Update" web function does not detect.  I have seen no official explanation.  Sometimes the Orbi "app" announces new firmware that the Orbi web interface does not.  Some users get email from Netgear announcing new firmware. Others (like me) do not.

There should be no "harm" in manually installing the new firmware (satellites first) because you can always "go back" by manually installing the"16" firmware.  Please bear in mind that occasionally people report on the forum that their Orbi is "locked up" and they cannot Factory Reset it or downgrade firmware.

Some of us on the forum have sort of a mantra, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."  (I remain on  "16".)

Message 2 of 3
mikosh6
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

Perhaps Netgear use folks who choose to manually update to the latest firmware to unknowingly serve as debuggers. Once they feel a version is sufficiently bug free they allow routers to auto-update. My main concern in updating to the latest firmware is security but I think I'll hold off manually updating for the time being.

Thanks again.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7