Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi (RBK22), Nighthawk R7000 & HDHomerun Connect (HDHR4-2US)

BrainDad
Aspirant

Orbi (RBK22), Nighthawk R7000 & HDHomerun Connect (HDHR4-2US)

I have been using a HDHR Connect for years and as soon as I upgraded my network to mesh with Orbi it can no longer assign an IP to the device.

Arris SB6190 modem --> Netgear Orbi Router (RBK22) --> Netgear Nighthawk R7000 in AP mode (used as a switch, internet in WAN and using all for 4 LAN ports for other clients) --> HDHR4-2US directly wired, all three lights are flashing green, which is Silicondust-speak for the presence of a network connection but no IP assigned.

I reset everything in network order, swapped cables and ports. I've assigned an IP via MAC address from the Orbi (DHCP is off on the Nighthawk). I swapped out the Nighthawk for a "true" network switch (Netgear GS105NA) and had the same result. All ports are functioning when checking "statistics" and "status" under the advanced tab. Everything else wired to the R7000 works just fine in each port. Both the Orbi and the Nighthawk show that they've seen the device in the past as allowed but not currently on the network.  

Any advice is welcomed. Thank you.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router, RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the HDH device connect directly to the back fo the RBR? Does it show as a connected device on the RBRs web page and how an IP address there? 

Swap out LAN cables with a known working cable>? 

Contact the HDH mfr for additional help and information?

Message 2 of 6
BrainDad
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Does the HDH device connect directly to the back fo the RBR? 

I tried that - by myself and with the Netgear Tech Support - and no dice. It was not recognized in the Orbi app or web UI as a wired client and the green lights kept flashing. I did this with Orbi as the first point of contact from the modem and with Orbi as a secondary router (basically swapping the R7000 back to the main router/DHCP handler and the Orbi as a client). Nothing.

Does it show as a connected device on the RBRs web page and how an IP address there? 

No. Furthermore, after switching my setup to the R7000 as the primary router - which has been the case for nearly four years and the HDHR has been fine wired to one of it's LAN ports - I'm still getting the same error and lack of internal IP assignment.

Swap out LAN cables with a known working cable>? 

Yep.

Contact the HDH mfr for additional help and information?

Yep.

Smiley Frustrated

I reserved an IP based on the MAC, nothing.

I'm going to try reserving an APIPA-looking address and see if that works. Silicondust Troubleshooting mentions that but more for direct interface with a PC, if I read it correctly.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

If the device isn't getting an IP address with the Prior router. I would presume there is something wrong with this device. Something the Mfr needs to address. 

Message 4 of 6
BrainDad
Aspirant

Yep, same wavelength. Smiley Wink

R7000 won't even take APIPA type of addresses, says it's invalid. I'm not barking up that tree anymore, especially since it worked fine for years without a goofy IP address.

I'll post again if Silicondust convincingly tosses the hot potato.  

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

You can't use APIPA IP addresses on a router. APIPA is only used on devices as a last resort by the device itself after a period of time, then the APIPA IP address appears on the device. LIke if you conneced a PC and looked at it's networking settings, if the adapter doesn't obtain a valid IP address, then a APIPA address will appear, like 169 something is usually a self assigned address. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7