Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK22 wireless connection problem to Netgear Synology Diskstation

fteng12
Aspirant

Orbi RBK22 wireless connection problem to Netgear Synology Diskstation

I have a Synology Diskstation (DS212) that I use to backup files and as a central drive for my house.  I used to be able to access the Diskstation wirelessly with my old router with no problems.  Now that I'm using the Orbi RBK22, I can see the Diskstation on my network via my Macbook, but I cannot access it or log in.  It just says Connection Failed.

I already contacted Synology support and they gave me steps to reset it and to download Synology Assistant.  But same problem.  Synology Assistant can detect the Diskstation wirelessly from my laptop, but cannot connect to it.

I can connect to the Diskstation via hardwire ethernet cable fromy laptop directly to the Diskstation.  The Diskstation is connected via hardwire ethernet cable to a powered switch which is connected via ethernet cable to the Orbi.  I can connect to the Diskstation via my laptop with an ethernet cable plugged into the switch.  So it looks like everything works on the network via hardwire connection, but I just connect to the Diskstation wirelessly.

Any advice?

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK22 wireless connection problem to Netgear Synology Diskstation

Try connecting the NAS and MacBook directly into the Orbi router, by passing this powered switch.

Message 2 of 4
fteng12
Aspirant

Thanks for the response. I have other wired devices that need to be connected to the Orbi Router, and it only has one Ethernet port. So I cannot connect just the Diskstation to the router. I can try it just to see what happens, but that would probably not be a viable long term solution for me.

It sounds like you think the switch might be the issue. But I can see the Diskststion wirelessly on the network with this set up via the switch. I just cannot connect to it. Why would the switch allow me to see the drive, but not allow me to connect to it? Sorry, novice here. Thanks.

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of this swtich? Managed switch or non managed switch? There are some users seeing problems with Managed switches if you are using one with Orbi systems.

Yes long term, using a switch will work fine. Just need to find out if this is a router, NAS or swich problem. Putting the NAS directly connected to the router with the laptop will help narrow this down more.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7