Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK22

TRBN
Tutor

Orbi RBK22

Hi,

Disappointed as my RBK22 is not covering even 2000 Sq Ft area where my old Net Gear R 7000 is doing a good job for the same area and with the same position 

Can some one hlep me, if i have missed anything or do i have to fine tune the router with addition or deletion of some features by going into router log in.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK22

Please confirm what you mean by "RBK22".  According to Netgear, this is a package, which includes one RBR20 router and one RBS20 satellite.  The router itself will not cover an area greater than a Nighthawk R7000.  The intention is to place the satellite some distance from the router (30 ft. is suggested to start with, depending of course on where there is an electrical outlet.  In the middle of a room or inside a closet would be impractical.)  This will create a second WiFi coverage area.  This cannot double the coverage, of course, because there is overlap where both the router and the satellite cover the same area.

So, in whatever direction the satellite is from the router, WiFi coverage should extend farther from the router than the R7000 covered.  In the direction opposite from the satellite, the satellite adds nothing.

Sorry if I misunderstood the question.

Message 2 of 4
TRBN
Tutor

Hi

Sorry for not making my point clear

Yes it is  RBR20+RBS20  which is sold as RBK22.

You have understood my issue.    

Yes I have place RBR 20  exactly in place of R7000 which i replaced by this Orbi system.  I have kept RBS-20 at  about 20 ft from RBR20.

My point is when i use my ipad at a distance between 25-30 ft  from RBR20  without  switiching RBS20,  the signal shows poor and for sure no video gets played.   Whereas when i was using R-7000, the signal was good enough for online video to play without any problem

Thank you for your understading and please let me know is there any fine tuning i need to do in terms of configuring RBR20

Regrds

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

I have not seen a picture of the "insides" of the RBR20.  (There are some really cool "explosions" of the RBR50 on the Netgear site.)

However, my guess is that the RBR20 antennas may not have the same "gain" as the R7000 antennas.  Antenna orientation is a mystic art, and it could be that rotating the RBR20 would move the direction of the strongest signal.

Please explain "without switching RBS20".  I am assuming that you mean not powering on the RBS20.

Just as a note, the proper distance between the router and the satellite is complicated.  When they are "close", the backhaul WiFi signal between them is stronger, and thus the backhaul better.  However, when they are very close, since they are both broadcasting on the same WiFi channel, they interfere more.  20 ft. apart may turn out to be too close (when you turn it on).

At this point, I am hoping that one of our "radio experts" will jump in and explain how a single RBR20 should compare to a single R7000.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7