Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK23 System Crashes When Satellites Connected

mveenstra716
Aspirant

Orbi RBK23 System Crashes When Satellites Connected

I just got an Orbi RBK23 system (used) from Amazon. Firmware on both satellites and the router is V2.3.5.30. I have a bi-level home that is 1,000 sq/ft per level (total 2,000 sq/ft). The router is in the southeast corner of the lower level. I placed one satellite in the southwest corner of the upper level (probably 20-25 linear feet away?) and one in the northwest corner of the upper level (maybe 35-40 linear feet away?). In the first few minutes, everything seemed great. Getting 390Mbps downloads everywhere (400Mbps service from Spectrum with a modem only, no integrated wifi in the modem). But then the router seemed to reset every couple of minutes, taking a couple of minutes at a time to come back up. I unplugged the satellite in the southwest corner of the upper level, and things seemed to be working better, but still getting reboots every 5 minutes or so. I turned down the 2.4Ghz power level to 25% and the 5ghz to 50%, and that seemed to work better, but the satellite in the northwest corner of the upper level doesn't stay connected (probably 40 or so linear feet away and a couple drywall walls). The wifi still drops out and "reboots" (not sure if it's a full reboot, but I lose connection and have to wait a couple minutes before I can connect to my network again). I have tried the 5ghz set to 25%, 75% and 100% also, but still encounter issues with the wifi dropping out for minutes at a time.

I turned off that satellite as well and turned the 5ghz broadcast back up to 100%, and I get decent coverage through MOST of my house, but not the slow spot in the northwest corner that I was trying to fix by buying this system. The Orbi router alone seems to be pretty powerful, but I can't seem to get a satellite to work with any sort of stability. I think that 2 satellites is definitely overkill after trying them out, but I definitely want to get one to work with some sort of stability so I can have a good connection in the NW corner of the upper level. When the satellite is connected and working, the speeds are great, but the wifi keeps crashing or resetting for several minutes at a time. Is there anyone who has experienced this type of issue? The satellite in the NW corner has cycled from magenta at times to blue at times, to whatever normal is (can't remember if there's a light on when everything is working properly). Does it seem like it's too close, or too far from the router? Or possibly a setting I need to fine-tune? I'm sure plenty of people on here have had issues getting things dialed in, so I'm just looking for some ideas based on that past experience.

I have tried turning on and off the beamforming, daisy chain, and MU-MIMO settings individually and any combination of the three being on/off. Also tried turning on/off the 20/40 coexistence setting. Without any satellites connected, I've been up and running for an hour now with no resetting by the router (it was happening every few minutes with any combo of satellites connected) so I feel like there's some sort of interference going on. Based on how strong the signal is from the router alone, it's clear to me that these broadcast a very strong signal, so maybe I'm too close with the satellites?

I replaced a Netgear R6400 V1. The signal from the Orbi router alone is MUCH stronger that the R6400 from the exact same location and giving me much greater speeds. That router was up to date on firmware and I had relocated it and played with any/all settings and antenna aiming I could and never could get even close the the speed I'm getting with just the Orbi router alone, so even if I can't get ANY satellites to work, it was worth the switch, but I really want to get at least 1 satellite up and stable to deliver to the NW upper level of my home if I can manage.

The only other location I could put the Orbi router would be the middle of the north wall on the lower level of my home. That may get me better results in the NW corner and I could try a satellite somewhere towards the south of my home. I may try that later but am looking for any suggestions or for someone to point out something I may have overlooked or not thought of.

Let me know what further information I can provide to help any of you wonderful folks tell what might be going on!

(And as I was typing this, the wifi dropped out while running the router alone after about 75 minutes of working great, so now I'm really not understanding what may be going on).

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK23 System Crashes When Satellites Connected

It might be helpful to determine if the Orbi is rebooting or if the problem is strictly with WiFi.

Do you a computer that can be wired to any of the Orbi's (with an ethernet cable)?

Is that computer network connection disrupted at the same time as the WiFi?

On the Orbi web interface, (http://orbilogin.net), under the Advanced Tab, Administration, is the Orbi log.

There should be an entry in the log when the Orbi reboots.

Message 2 of 3
mveenstra716
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBK23 System Crashes When Satellites Connected

I can tell you that every time this happens, the "System Up Time" on the "Advanced" tab and clicking "Show Statistics" resets to 0. The longest I've gotten is 3 hours last night while I was sleeping, but it mostly it was resetting every few minutes when I've tried to actually use the internet. I also went back to firmware V2.3.1.44 based on seeing someone else having similar issues and that working for them, but within an hour, my firmware was automatically updated on the router and satellites without me doing it.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7