Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK23 Wired Backhaul Through A Switch?

Shery999
Aspirant

Orbi RBK23 Wired Backhaul Through A Switch?

Hello internet,

I just bought a RBK23 off amazon earlier which is due for delievery tommrow. I wanted to know if I can connect them for a wired backhaul through a network switch even though I know Orbi is supposed to be used wireless using the 3rd band.  But wired makes everything better for me so what I want to do is connect the router to Satellite 1 (S1), then connect a switch to S1 and then from that switch I want to link to Satellite 2 (S2). I had a tenda nova mw6 and that would not allow me to connect like that without various connectivity issues.

I wish I could connect the S2 to S1 wired but the system I bought only has 2 lan ports so that means S1 will have one port connecting to router and the other one to the switch so I can't connect them to each other. I could connect them if I decide to put the switch to S2 but that would mean installing new cable wires as they are on different floors and I don't want to go through all that work.

If nothing works, then I guess I will have to connect S1 wired to router, then to switch and connect the S2 wirelessly as this was how I used the Tenda nova mw6 with one node wired and one wireless.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK23 Wired Backhaul Through A Switch?

Yes you can:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Recommended switches to use are non mananged switches and switches with out any green tech ethernet features. If you use a managed switch, be sure to disable ALL IGMP protocls on it. 

Message 2 of 4
Shery999
Aspirant

thanks for that link pal. One more thing, do you think it would be better to connect router to a switch and then from switch connect the 2 satellites like its shown in the link you provided? or would it be better if I connect the router to satellite 1 and then from satellite 1 to switch and then run a cable from switch to satellite 2?

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume either way would work however for more stability and less troubleshooting issues, I would connect both satellites more directly to a switch than daisy chain them of each other. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7