Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK23 slow internet connection (with network cat 7 to fiber FTTH 1 GIGA)

Emperor1
Guide

Orbi RBK23 slow internet connection (with network cat 7 to fiber FTTH 1 GIGA)

Hi, just received Orbi RBK23 kit.

I've setup main Orbi device, and configured as access point.

I've connect it direcly using a CAT 7 network cable to my router (fastweb) 1 GIGA fiber FTTH.

I receive 'slow' connection (about 500 mega).

In wifi about 200-300 mega.

Why the direct network wired connection is half the max speed of my router (that instead always reach 950MB 1 GIGA speed) ?

Any setup to change ?

If change RBK23 with RBK53 i'll have better values ?

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK23 slow internet connection (with network cat 7 to fiber FTTH 1 GIGA)

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Besure that you do not enable speedtest app, traffic meter or access controls on the Orbi router as these have been found to slow internet speeds at 1Gb services. Do a factory reset/erase on the router and set up from scratch with out enabling these features.

Message 2 of 4
Emperor1
Guide

Thanks,

just to better understand.

1. 2. 3. there's a better option between the 3 or they're similiar in term of final performances ?

i've for sure disabled the wi-fi module on my modem and active Orbi as router ... but really don't know how to configure the DMS as indicated for point 2.

I've connected the Orbi router to my modem using a network cable ... so i should change Orbi as AP mode ? 

In the meantime i've received also 3 RBK53 and it's way better ...

Very last: "you do not enable speedtest app, traffic meter or access controls on the Orbi router as these have been found to slow internet speeds at 1Gb services".

Are you referring at the option 'Internet speed' available into the Netgear Orbi (for iPhone) App ? I've not to use it ?

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Nothing in between 2 and 3. The ISP modem can be a factor in performances if there is routing there in volved. Reason why using DMZ if the modem can't be bridge should help for this if you use the Orbi in router mode.

If your not going to use the Orbi as yoru router, then yes, AP mode would be perferred.

The speed test app with in the routers web page.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7