Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK30 IP Address problem

meCOOL
Aspirant

Orbi RBK30 IP Address problem

hello

i have Orbi RBK30 at home i use it in the frist floor and my router in the ground floor and i put the same name for the wifi for both so i do not need to switch between my wifi

but my problemi s my router ip address is 192.168.1.1 and orbi ip is 10.0.0.1

i bought a wifi printer that using the orbi ip address and my pc connected by lan to the router 

how i can make Orbi using the rougter ip address range

Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK30 IP Address problem

Orbi has an IP address of 10.0.0.1 because it is set up in "router" mode.  Use the Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup, Router / AP mode to place the Orbi in Access Point (AP) mode.  Then, the router will assign IP addresses to everything.  Having a "regular" router and the Orbi ubroadcast the same WiFi name (SSID) will result in a different environment than the "mesh" the Orbi is designed to create.

Message 2 of 5
meCOOL
Aspirant

so is better to give each wifi different name?

Message 3 of 5

@meCOOL wrote:

so is better to give each wifi different name?

If you mean one for the Orbi access point and another for the router's wifi, then probably yes if you want the printer to be able to distinguish between the two.

Orbi should go down that road automatically when you set it up.It will pick a wifi SSID of its own.

But you may have confused the poor thing by installing one router behind an other router. If you now have the Orbi in AP mode, then you might like to reboot the whole network so that everything understand its place in the world.

As this is a router, there is probably a modem sitting in front of it. You need to get the router to forget its misspent past with the old modem. That means rebooting the network.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on Orbi AP and wait for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Forget about IP addresses and the printer. It is the SSID that matters, but back to the printer.,

The usual way to manage wifi printers is to find the printer maker's utility, the software that runs on your operating system. Then use that to connect the printer to the wifi.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@meCOOL wrote:

hello

i have Orbi RBK30 at home i use it in the frist floor and my router in the ground floor and i put the same name for the wifi for both so i do not need to switch between my wifi

but my problemi s my router ip address is 192.168.1.1 and orbi ip is 10.0.0.1

i bought a wifi printer that using the orbi ip address and my pc connected by lan to the router 

how i can make Orbi using the rougter ip address range

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7