Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK30 wireless network duplicated as hidden network in Windows 7 and 10?

misterTTT
Aspirant

Orbi RBK30 wireless network duplicated as hidden network in Windows 7 and 10?

In the list of available wireless networks on my Windows 7 laptops and 10 desktop, from the first moment I installed the RBK30, the wireless network with SSID was visible and also a duplicated hidden network.

I know it is linked to the wireless network because both the SSID and hidden disappear when I shut down the Orbi and reappear when it boots. And when I manually type in the SSID of the other one in the hidden network and password, it connects to my Orbi network and I see my device is connected to it in the same way as it would have with the SSID. I have also tried a factory reset after which both wifi networks reappear after bootup.

The guest network is disabled. I had tried enabling and disabling it anyway to see what happens, and as expected the guest network simply appeared and disappeared, not impacting the other two wifi networks.

Does anyone have an idea why that hidden network is shown in Windows and how to disable it?

In another discussion I had found a similar question:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/R6000-Series-AC-WiFi-Routers/R6400-has-NEW-HIDDEN-NETWORK-with-V1-0...

But the solution, namely turning off projection to this pc, explained on the link below, does not work for me, as it was already disabled:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/49083-turn-off-projecting-pc-windows-10-a.html

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

Re: Orbi RBK30 wireless network duplicated as hidden network in Windows 7 and 10?

Orbi has a wireless backhaul, which is used to transmit data between the Orbi router and satellite units.  The backhaul uses hidden SSIDs on 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. You cannot turn these hidden networks off, and there is no reason to do so. Just ignore them.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

Re: Orbi RBK30 wireless network duplicated as hidden network in Windows 7 and 10?

Orbi has a wireless backhaul, which is used to transmit data between the Orbi router and satellite units.  The backhaul uses hidden SSIDs on 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. You cannot turn these hidden networks off, and there is no reason to do so. Just ignore them.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7