Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK33 dropping WiFi Connection constantly - about ready to return it to the store!

QQQQ
Aspirant

Orbi RBK33 dropping WiFi Connection constantly - about ready to return it to the store!

I had a couple of routers in my home with separate SSIDs and finally opted to splurge and get a mesh system. Installation was rather painless aside from having to sort through how to port forward my IP cameras and the fact that it's constantly changing the IP address of my PC which I had to make static as it was affecting my other connected devices.

I've updated the hub and satellites to the lastest firmware (V2.1.4.16) and am having regularly and repeated dropped connections to all of my Apple devices, and Wink 2 hub. My family has iPhones and iPads and cannot use the wifi without problems multiple times a day. My Amazon Echo Show displays an orange bar at the bottom when disconnected and that bar appears every day as well.

My main unit is in the basement in the center of my house. The floors are roughly 1300 sq. ft. The 1st satellite is on the 1st floor roughly 15 feet through wood and ductwork from the main unit. The 2nd satellite is on the 2nd floor about the same 15-20 feet away. Aside from the wood, ducts, etc. of the house, all three units are within 40-50 feet tops. I did this so they could easily see one another but also to give each fllor good coverage. On the admin panel, everything shows connected and "good"

Does anyone know why this happens, how to resolve it? It's an unacceptable situation and if I can't figire it out, it's either going back to the old ways, or maybe another brand of mesh network.

Thanks!

Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK33 dropping WiFi Connection constantly - about ready to return it to the store!

Starting distances should be 30 feet to begin with between the router and satellites.

Try setting a manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4ghz.

Try disabling MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming...

Try Advanced Wireless Settings both 2.4GHz and 5GHz changed CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307.

Was a full reboot of both router and satellites performed after all was updated?

Message 2 of 4
QQQQ
Aspirant

So far I've done the following

- Disabled MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming...

- Set Advanced Wireless Settings both 2.4GHz and 5GHz changed CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307.

- moved the satellites farther apart

It seems to have gotten better with fewer dropouts but it's still dropping connections.

I'm reluctant to set specific channels on my 2.4Ghz as I don't know what else might be in conflict in my house or my neighbors so I think it's important for it to be able to select an open channel when necessary.

I didn't see any other suggestions from the community. Is this the best answer or might there be other things I can do to improve connectivity with my Apple products?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7