Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK33 - need more coverage, can I add satellites or should I just buy a RBK753S-100NAS?

gianniboynj
Aspirant

Orbi RBK33 - need more coverage, can I add satellites or should I just buy a RBK753S-100NAS?

Hi All,

I purchased an Orbi RBK33 Kit (1RBR40 + 2 RBW30) a couple of years ago.  I have a 2 story home which includes a basement. Each floor is approximately the same size.  Inluciding my basement, my house is just a bit larger than 5000 sq ft  After optimizing placement of the base and satellite units I have solid coverage in most parts of my home, and even in my backyard, but the signal is weak at the edges of the network and some of my WiFi switches/home automation devices occasionally drop connectivity.  Connectivity in my garage is pretty weak as well.  

So, with that said, is it better to try adding a couple of satellites to "fill out" the week spots (i.e. not daisy chain) or should i just go ahead and buy something like the RBK753S-100NAS? 

One other item to note, I have 1 GB service into my house but the RBK33 only gets ~ 600 Mbps download and ~ 720 Mbps upload speeds.   When I test speeds directly at my ISP router I get full 1 Gbps speeds.  

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK33 - need more coverage, can I add satellites or should I just buy a RBK753S-100NAS?

@gianniboynj wrote:

So, with that said, is it better to try adding a couple of satellites to "fill out" the week spots (i.e. not daisy chain) or should i just go ahead and buy something like the RBK753S-100NAS? 

This is an awkward time to invest in WiFi (i.e. spend a lot of money). 

A pair of RBS40V units would cost a little over $200 (Amazon). They integrate with the existing Orbi and could definitely expand the coverage area.  (The "voice" feature can be ignored or activated, whichever you want to do.)

An RBK753 will set you back nearly $600 (Amazon).  It will almost certainly have a slightly larger coverage area than the existing Orbi and will definitely have greater "backhaul" bandwidth. It is more able to take advantage of the 1G internet link.  Whether it will actually create the desired coverage is conjecture. Great if it does.  "oops" if it doesn't. (More $$$)  Unless you already have WiFi6 devices (and almost none of us do), there will not be much difference in performance.

This situation is even more awkward because the new WiFi 6E equipment is just coming on the market. Every manufacturer is annoucing (but not necessarily shipping) systems that can take advantage of the new 6G frequencies as well as the AX technology.  One problem with WiFi6 is that the 5G band has only two non-overlapping wide channels and some users  have found that every neighbor now has WiFi6 routers and there is congestion on the 5G band just as there is on the 2.4G band.  WiFi 6E features even more non-overlapping channels for backhaul.  Of course, there are no user devices that use 6E at all.  New WiFi 6E systems are going to cost even more than WiFi6 systems and there are no practical comparative reviews on them.

So, spend $200+ as a "band aid" and prepare to replace the whole system in 3-4 years with WiFi6E?

Spend $600+ (and hope the coverage is enough), and plan to replace the whole system in ?? years.

Wait a few months and shell out even more for a WiFi 6E system that should last for a lot longer?

You wanted advice, and got "what a mess." (I am sitting out the WiFi6 and waiting to see which WiFi6E gets rave reviews.)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@gianniboynj wrote:

This is an awkward time to invest in WiFi (i.e. spend a lot of money). 

A pair of RBS40V units would cost a little over $200 (Amazon). They integrate with the existing Orbi and could definitely expand the coverage area.  (The "voice" feature can be ignored or activated, whichever you want to do.)

An RBK753 will set you back nearly $600 (Amazon).  It will almost certainly have a slightly larger coverage area than the existing Orbi and will definitely have greater "backhaul" bandwidth. It is more able to take advantage of the 1G internet link.  Whether it will actually create the desired coverage is conjecture. Great if it does.  "oops" if it doesn't. (More $$$)  Unless you already have WiFi6 devices (and almost none of us do), there will not be much difference in performance.

This situation is even more awkward because the new WiFi 6E equipment is just coming on the market. Every manufacturer is annoucing (but not necessarily shipping) systems that can take advantage of the new 6G frequencies as well as the AX technology.  One problem with WiFi6 is that the 5G band has only two non-overlapping wide channels and some users  have found that every neighbor now has WiFi6 routers and there is congestion on the 5G band just as there is on the 2.4G band.  WiFi 6E features even more non-overlapping channels for backhaul.  Of course, there are no user devices that use 6E at all.  New WiFi 6E systems are going to cost even more than WiFi6 systems and there are no practical comparative reviews on them.

So, spend $200+ as a "band aid" and prepare to replace the whole system in 3-4 years with WiFi6E?

Spend $600+ (and hope the coverage is enough), and plan to replace the whole system in ?? years.

Wait a few months and shell out even more for a WiFi 6E system that should last for a lot longer?

You wanted advice, and got "what a mess." (I am sitting out the WiFi6 and waiting to see which WiFi6E gets rave reviews.)

Message 2 of 3
gianniboynj
Aspirant

You are a rockstar.

Great insight and advice. While I can get the RBK753 at Costco for $499 I completely agree that the $200 for RBSV40v satellites is going to more confidently provide the desired coverage and immediate benefit while preventing me from spending $300 more for potential benefit I won't realize for a few years.  

Thanks again.

Stay safe!

Gianni

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7