Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK40 (AC2200) Wifi Speed Issue

richwoodUser
Tutor

Orbi RBK40 (AC2200) Wifi Speed Issue

I have a Orbi RBK 40 (RBR40 and RBS40).  Prior to upgrading my internet speed, I was getting 250 mb download on both wired and wireless.  I recently upgraded my internet to 500 mb, however my Wifi speed has not improved at all and remains around 250 mb.  I have tested multiple times and on multiple devices sitting right next to the Orbi device. When plugged in via Ethernet, I get 500 mb/s download.   I would have expected my Wifi speed to improve. 

My setup is I have a mobem router from my ISP.  The Orbi is plugged into this and running bridge mode and has latest firmware (as of today).   When plugging directly into both the modem and Orbi ethernet, I get 500 mb.  

Any thoughts and suggestions would be apprecaited. 

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

When the ISP Speed was updated, did you turn OFF the ISP modem AND the Orbi system for 1 minute, then turn ON the modem and let it sync then turn ON the orbi system and let it come to ready? 

What wireless devices are you using for wireless speed testing. Be aware that some wireless devices do not support higher ISP speeds and maybe limiting actual speeds on wireless. If wired is good, then wireless will be good unless wifi device is limiting on it's supported speed design. Confirm with the Mfr of the wireless device for maximum speed support. Most newer iphones and android devices should beable to see 500Mbps. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Some settings to try after speed testing after you have powered off the modem and Orbi then back on:

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 8
richwoodUser
Tutor

Thanks for the quick reply. 

A few answers to your questioms

Yes, I restarted everything multiple times including the router and cablem modem. I've turned off the wifi signal on the cable modem.  Since the Orbi is getting 1000 mb on ethernet, I dont think think issue would be related to cable modem and the cable modem wifi signal is disabled so would not be interferring. 

I've tested this on devices that work connected via 5g -  iPhone X and MacBook Pro 2018.  These both should support wifi speeds over 250 mb.  Firmware version is latest - 2.3.1.58.  

The satelitte is around 30 feet from the base.   I've been doign all the speed testing sitting right next to the base unit. 

Thanks again

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Disabling the wifi on the modem doesn't necessarily mean it's in bridge mode. 

"I restarted everything multiple times including the router and cablem modem. " meaning that you just rebooted them or did you actually power them OFF for 1 minute then back on? 

After updating FW, have you tried a full facory reset on the Orbi system and setup from scratch? 

Message 4 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@richwoodUser wrote:

Prior to upgrading my internet speed, I was getting 250 mb download on both wired and wireless.  I recently upgraded my internet to 500 mb, however my Wifi speed has not improved at all and remains around 250 mb.  I have tested multiple times and on multiple devices sitting right next to the Orbi device. When plugged in via Ethernet, I get 500 mb/s download.   I would have expected my Wifi speed to improve. 

Any thoughts and suggestions would be apprecaited. 

A Google search for what WiFi speed to expect from a gigabit internet connection turns up very little useful information.  I found this particular article interesting:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/12/30/802-11ac-vs-802-11n-wifi-whats-the-difference/#1...

The gist of it is that even though the internet supply has doubled, the WiFi throughput is affected by the number of antennas in the router and in the client device.

p.s. I look forward to the time that 500mb internet is available in my area.  My son in North Carolina has a 1G fiber connection and I am stuck at about 70mb.

Message 5 of 8
richwoodUser
Tutor

Thanks for the advice. I tried tweaking the settings and can get the wifi speed occialliy above 250 now.  I'll try a factory reset and see if that works.  Thanks again. 

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes...

@richwoodUser wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I tried tweaking the settings and can get the wifi speed occialliy above 250 now.  I'll try a factory reset and see if that works.  Thanks again. 

Message 7 of 8
Fl1ntstone
Apprentice

Hi,

For your testing, do you know if you are on the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz band and do you know which WiFi protocol you are using as that will determine what bandwidth you can use.  I.e. 802.11n for 2.4Ghz or 802.11ac for 5Ghz?

CheerZ

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7