Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK40 Internet Disconnection Issue

Jetfree
Aspirant

Orbi RBK40 Internet Disconnection Issue

Ever since the latest firmware update on my Orbi, I've been facing disconnection issue from internet even if the Wi-Fi connection is good. I see many posts on similar issue but none with a definite fix. The Netgear hotline is charging USD50 for a service call but they too failed to fix it. I can see a probable problem with the date and time incorrect but I find no solution to correct it. In the latest firmware, there is no option in Schedule to update date/time. Anyone with wise ideas will be welcome.
Message 1 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK40 Internet Disconnection Issue

Oh, my.  Netgear Hotline?  Netgear provides telephone support for 90 days after purchase, and after that customers can purchase service contracts from GearHead: https://gearhead.netgear.com/  This is similar to Best Buy's Geek Squad, although one supposed they will have more expertise with Netgear products.

The Orbi web interface allows users to select which "Network Time Server" they want to use.  On the Advanced Tab, Navigate to Administration, NTP (stands for Network Time Protocol).  The key is that the user selects which "Time Zone" to use and whether Daylight Saving Time is observed.

Disconnection from the internet can be caused by a lot of things.  Can you please describe:

• What is the Orbi router connected to?
    Brand and model?
  • Is the Orbi in router or Access Point mode?

Thanks

Message 2 of 20
Jetfree
Aspirant

Hi, the timezone is correct. Daylight Saving was already selected even if not applicable.

In any case, the date is indicating June 2019 which is outdated (even with the latest firmware installed).

What is the Orbi router connected to? ONT Optical Modem
Brand and model? Alcatel Lucent ONT. I don't know the model but picture is attached.

Is the Orbi in router or Access Point mode? Router mode

Thanks

Message 3 of 20
Jetfree
Aspirant

Orbi connected Alcatel Lucent I-240G-D running on router mode.
Message 4 of 20
Jetfree
Aspirant

Hi, any advice?
Message 5 of 20
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Jetfree wrote:
Hi, any advice?

what firmware do you have and how did you get it?

Message 6 of 20
Jetfree
Aspirant

Sorry, I'm not able to check because my router cannot connect to internet anymore after the netgear helpdesk remotely changed my settings from router mode to access point mode. But I know I have the latest firmware downloaded through the web login. In fact, the helpdesk previously gave me instruction through chat channel to reinstall the firmware to resolve the problem but it did not help much.
Message 7 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

The Help Line was correct that in general it is recommended to have only one router in a home network, either the ISP modem can be the router, or the Orbi can be the router.  An Orbi will still function when set up as a router connected to another router.  (Mine did for nearly two years).  But, there are a host of specific situations which fail dismally with two routers.  (VPN, for one)

Do you have administrative access to the Alcatel?  i.e. Can you look at settings, define the IP address to be given to individual devices, etc.?

Message 8 of 20
Jetfree
Aspirant

Sorry, I'm not able to check because my router cannot connect to internet anymore after the netgear helpdesk remotely changed my settings from router mode to access point mode. But I know I have the latest firmware downloaded through the web login. In fact, the helpdesk previously gave me instruction through chat channel to reinstall the firmware to resolve the problem but it did not help much.
Message 9 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@Jetfree wrote:

Hi, the timezone is correct. Daylight Saving was already selected even if not applicable.

In any case, the date is indicating June 2019 which is outdated (even with the latest firmware installed).

What is the Orbi router connected to? ONT Optical Modem
Brand and model? Alcatel Lucent ONT. I don't know the model but picture is attached.

Is the Orbi in router or Access Point mode? Router mode

Thanks

Message 10 of 20

@Jetfree wrote:
The Netgear hotline is charging USD50 for a service call but they too failed to fix it.

That's odd.Netgear does not have a paid for hot line. Do you mean GearHead?

Who did you call? If it was one of those sites found with a web search, then there is a high probability that it has nothing to do with Netgear.

Many of those listing are from third-party sites that pay to appear in the search engines. They then create sites that "borrow" the Netgear logo.

Those sites will also appear if you search for other makes of hardware. Using them can be dangerous.

Netgear itself does not provide paid for support. It farms that out to GearHead Technical Support.

GearHead Support

Netgear's support is limited to 90 days. You get that by registering your device and starting the process on the MyNetgear site.

Message 11 of 20

@Jetfree wrote:
Sorry, I'm not able to check because my router cannot connect to internet anymore after the netgear helpdesk remotely changed my settings from router mode to access point mode.

If by "router" you mean the Orbi router, rather than your modem/router, you can access that even when it is in AP mode.

You just have to track down its IP address. There are various ways of finding that, depending on how you are connected, and what with. Something like the desktop genie can find it. You could even use a mobile app.

Find the IP address and then connect to it with a browser.

As @CrimpOn suggests, I find it helps to give the Orbit AP a fixed IP address, then I always know how to get at it with a browser.

Then again "cannot connect to Internet" is puzzling. Do you really mean that or do you mean that you cannot get at the Orbi's management graphical user interface (GUI)? That isn't the Internet as most of us understand it. It is a local thing on your network.

Message 12 of 20
Jetfree
Aspirant

Orbi connected Alcatel Lucent I-240G-D running on router mode.
Message 13 of 20
Jetfree
Aspirant

V2.3.5.30 downloaded by WEB UI.
Message 14 of 20

So, you are running with two routers. You have already been advised that this is a bad idea.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

In my case, I have put the Orbi into wireless access point mode.

Message 15 of 20
Jetfree
Aspirant

I have reset the Orbi back to factory default and it is now back in Router mode. Internet access is back on. The date/time is still wrong. It is displaying the date/time I started using this Orbit router. Timezone in NTP setting is correct and I have also corrected the location. I intend to contact the ISP to know if the modem/router can be bridge or change to modem mode. Hopefully, solving the double NAT situation resolves the problem with the date/time and subsequently the intermittent internet disconnection problem.
Message 16 of 20
Jetfree
Aspirant

I'm just perturbed why I never had this problem with my Asus AC87 router connected to this modem for the last 5yrs.
Message 17 of 20
Jetfree
Aspirant

I just got on the phone with my ISP and they confirmed the Alcatel modem is a pure modem, not router. There cannot be any issue with a double NAT situation which should explain why I never had such issue with my previous Asus AC87 router.

Perhaps I have to consult GearHead?

Alcatel Lucent I-240G-D modem >> RBR40 (V2.3.5.30) running on router mode connected wirelessly to RBS40 (V2.3.5.30)

Advanced Wireless Settings > Region: Singapore

NTP Settings: GMT +08:00 (without daylight savings time)

Current Time: Friday, June 28, 2019 23:56:50

Message 18 of 20
Jetfree
Aspirant

Unfortunately, Gearhead does not support the country I'm staying in.

Somehow, the problem with the date/time setting seemed to have resolved by itself after I reset my Orbi router to factory default, recycle my modem and set up the router again on Sunday.

After those steps were taken, I check the date/time in NTP setting on Orbi web UI and it was still showing 28 Jun 2019 (date when Orbi was first set up). When I went to Speed Test in Setup, the date/time suddenly changed to current date/time.

I went back to NTP setting and the date/time has resumed to current date/time. The warning message on top has also disappeared.

I took pains to make sure every device is rebooted before connecting to the wifi network again. Unfortunately, there are always people in the family who lazily refused to reboot their device before connecting to the wifi network upon coming home.

After spending so much effort to solve the date/time setting problem, I was hoping the intermittent internet disconnection is caused by this problem and as such will be resolved.

I was wrong. The problem came back last night after just 3 days. This time though it's the wifi which disconnected from my phone but lasted only 5 seconds before it connected itself back again.

Today, I checked the NTP setting in the web UI and true enough, the date/time setting is back to 28 Jun 2019. The warning message "Warning: The Orbi Router failed to connect to NTP server, please check your internet connectivity or try another NTP server." is displayed on top again.

I tried to shutdown the router, recycle the modem, reboot the router but of no avail.

Not sure if I should factory reset the router again and go through those steps again.

Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

This is my RBR50 with NTP setting setup 2+ days ago. No issues:

https://ibb.co/L12QtYx

@Jetfree wrote:

Unfortunately, Gearhead does not support the country I'm staying in.

Somehow, the problem with the date/time setting seemed to have resolved by itself after I reset my Orbi router to factory default, recycle my modem and set up the router again on Sunday.

After those steps were taken, I check the date/time in NTP setting on Orbi web UI and it was still showing 28 Jun 2019 (date when Orbi was first set up). When I went to Speed Test in Setup, the date/time suddenly changed to current date/time.

I went back to NTP setting and the date/time has resumed to current date/time. The warning message on top has also disappeared.

I took pains to make sure every device is rebooted before connecting to the wifi network again. Unfortunately, there are always people in the family who lazily refused to reboot their device before connecting to the wifi network upon coming home.

After spending so much effort to solve the date/time setting problem, I was hoping the intermittent internet disconnection is caused by this problem and as such will be resolved.

I was wrong. The problem came back last night after just 3 days. This time though it's the wifi which disconnected from my phone but lasted only 5 seconds before it connected itself back again.

Today, I checked the NTP setting in the web UI and true enough, the date/time setting is back to 28 Jun 2019. The warning message "Warning: The Orbi Router failed to connect to NTP server, please check your internet connectivity or try another NTP server." is displayed on top again.

I tried to shutdown the router, recycle the modem, reboot the router but of no avail.

Not sure if I should factory reset the router again and go through those steps again.

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7