Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK40 broken by latest firmware V1.12.0.18

YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

Orbi RBK40 broken by latest firmware V1.12.0.18

I have had the RBK40 (RBR40 and RBS40) since April.  Had constant problems with it from the first week, all documented in one place or another on this Forum. I was just about to return it for a refund when they Firmware V1.11.0.20 was released.   If you see that thread (it is noted as resolved) you will see that the release notes said it was for the RB40 (not the 50 and they are different).  That release fixed 100% of my problems and with it, my Orbi system was running the way it was intended (and why I bought it).  I enjoyed 3 weeks of stability and speeds that were like being plugged into ethernet, in all parts of my house.  Sadly, what I was worried about happened yesterday when my system Auto updraded to V1.12.0.18.  It has basically brought my system back to HORRIBLE and USELESS. The first thing noted were internet drops on my Microsoft computer, then wifi drops on 2 Android devices, and when reset everything (multiple times) the internet connection registered but speed was so slow it wouldn't even pull up a simple Google search screen.  I plugged directly into my Cable Modem so I could get on here and dowload V1.11.0.20 and roll back to it in the hopes that I can get back to what it was.  And yes, my internet service is fine as I am geting 100% of my service speed straight from the modem.  I changed reviews in several places for this product because I thought Netgear finally fixed it.  Guess I was wrong.  Anyone else with the "40" having problems?

To Netgear tech support when you read this....yes I unplugged and re-booted everything multiple times.  Connected to the Router and noted all settings were still as they should be.  Ran the speed test and it registered 0.85Mbs download and wouldn't register anything upload (I have 125Mbs service).  I was consistently getting 120Mbs Down and 6Mbs Up hard wired and almost the same on Wifi before the upgrade.  Plugged directly into the Modem now with the Orbi bypassed and off) I get the usual 120Mbs/6Mbs.   I notice the release notes of 1.12.0.18 mention nothing but the RB"50" products.  Could it be that you all need to find a way to deal with these two Orbi systems differently?  While logic says they should be the same since they operate with the same technology and the only difference is in the rated speed (AC2200 for the RBK40 and AC3000 for the RBK50), it seems when you fix one you break the other.  Please give us the option of turning off Auto Updates so when we get the one that works for our respective systems we can keep it. I work from home and having to take the time to reset everything and roll back Firmware costs me time and money. Since I cancelled my return I am stuck with this $300 junk until who knows when you all get this mess sorted out. Once I open a new ticket if the roll back doesn't work, I hope you all will extend my free 90 day support until these issues are finally resolved.  It is not possible to keep a single ticket open the way things have gone because a "fix" may work for a few weeks so the ticket will auto expire.  I sincerely hope you all figure it out because after getting a taste of the way this system was meant to run, it is hard to imagine going back to the old Netgear Router with an Extender for the corner of the house.  

Message 1 of 27
EB2017
Guide

I have had the same issue. Apparently the new firmware update happened on our RBK40 sometime overnight 3 days ago. It "upgraded" to V1.12.0.18, and now devices  won't connect to the internet. Despite the admin panel saying the Internet status is good, it just won't connect. I have reset and reset and reset multiple times and verified that the issue is not with my provider.

And wouldn't you know? My complimentary Netgear support expired 2 days before my Orbi stopped functioning. I am not a tech guru to be able to fix this issue on my own and without having to pay money just to call tech support for something that shouldn't have messed up in the first place. So I am grateful to have seen this post to know that the issue is probably with the firmware. 

Netgear, please fix this expensive paperweight. Not only did I pay good money for the router, but I am losing money everyday I'm paying my service provider for internet that I can't access. 

Message 2 of 27
YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

I feel you EB and expensive paperweight is a great description.  I used to be a lifelong Netgear customer.  Not anymore after this mess.  I wonder if their Management knows just how bad this is going to go for them.  In any event, I can help you through this forum.  I am no guru but know enough to get by.  I connected my computer straight to my modem and went to this link to download the Firmware 1.11.0.20 files for both the Router (RBR) and the Satellite (RBS).  https://kb.netgear.com/000038848/RBR40-RBS40-Firmware-Version-1-11-0-20

Once the files are on your computer,  you can then hook back into the Orbi Admin GUI, go to Advanced and navigate to Firmware Update.  Click the Manual Tab, select the radio button for the Satellite first and follow the prompts to upload the RBS file from your computer.  It will give you a warning that it is an older version but you can say ok, and yes you want to upload it.  Once it does that, then click on the Browse button for Uploading the RBR Firmware file.  It will ask the same questions about older version, just say ok and yes.  This will install V 1.11.0.20 which was the stable version for the RB40 system.  Warning though, you are probably going to want to do a Factory Reset (stick a paperclip in the little hole in back of each paperweight that says reset) before loading the older Firmware.  I am about to have to do that because while rolling back to the stable firmware has helped my issues some, it is still acting highly unstable with random disconnects of the Wifi and Internet.  At least it works for 10 minutes or so.  With the new 1.12.0.18, nothing worked.  My internet speed in the rare times it stayed connected went from 120Mbs to 10!!!  So now I get to spend another hour plus reconfiguring everything, including resetting the SSID, password and finally, reconnecting all devices.  Something Netgear apparantly thinks is not a big deal for its customers to have to do once a month or more.  

Hit me up if you need more instructions.  I hope to report back on here that a full factory reset and then installation of 1.11.0.20 fixed everything back to the way it was.  Not sure it will matter since Netgear won't allow us to turn off Auto Update.  You should bother Tech Support too until you get an extension on your support.  There is ample evidence this is a known and longstanding issue that clearly hasn't been resolved. 

Message 3 of 27
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello EB2017

Yes roll back the firmware on the RBK40 unit there was a issue found in the latest firmware and we are working to fix it. If you are still having issues contact support again as they are aware of the issues and will be able to help.

http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

DarrenM

Message 4 of 27
YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

I did the factory reset and loaded up 1.11.0.20.  While things have improved, I am having recurring speed variations and an occassional drop.  I am not contacting support because they will have me change settings I already know how to change and cost me more time.  

Darren if you want to connect me directly with someone who will remote in to my system, I would be happy to deal with them.  No reason to deal with lower tier support.  

EB, hope this doesn't insult you...but if you do a factory reset and downgrade the firmware, make sure you name the SSID the same as you had before and make it the same password.  That way you won't have to reconnect all of your devices manually, they should have that info stored and recognize it again when you bring it back up.  I only mention this because you said you weren't much on technical stuff.  Only positive intent.  

Message 5 of 27
EB2017
Guide

Well, I just lost an hour and a half of my life that could have been spent playing with my new puppy, but following YabbadabbaDoooo's most excellent instructions, I made it through. It seems to be working for now. Until the next update, probably. 

DarrenM, any idea when the fix will be available?

Message 6 of 27
YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

EB, let me know if you get true stability over the next week.  I did everything the right way and am still having problems with wifi disconnects, internet dropping and major speed fluctuations.  They are much less frequent but usually happen at inopportune times. It is strange because for 3 weeks on 1.11.0.20 it was rock solid.  Should be the same given the factory reset and run back to older FW.  I am thinking the new FW broke things enough to where I may have to try completely erasing the Orbi and then loading back 1.11.0.20.  What a mess.  Hope you get complete stability back.  Of course it won't last because unless Netgear changed something to allow us control over whether we want a FW update, it is eventually going to auto update back to the newest junkware.  They will tell us a fix is on the way.  SOS.

Message 7 of 27
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

I have no ETA on the fix.

DarrenM

Message 8 of 27
EB2017
Guide

My Orbi is broken again. We came home from work today with the unhappy surprise that we are offline once again. Thanks to Netgear 's automatic updates, V 1.12.0.20 is no more functional than 18 was, and is actually worse. It won't let me roll back to 1.11.0.20 at all. When I try to load the file, I get the progress bar and at the very end, it drops off and says there's no network connection. 

I was  getting along just fine with 1.11.0.20; we would have slow dropped/slow periods which I had previously blamed on my satellite provider, but now realize it must have been the Orbi. 

Now on it's completely useless again. What experiences are others having. 

NETGEAR PLEASE FIX THIS FOR GOOD BEFORE I AM FORCED TO POST MY EXPERIENCE ON AMAZON. 

Message 9 of 27
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello EB2017

The progress bar gets to the end then drops connection. That is the expected behavior, the router would be rebooting to complete the update. FW should have loaded successfully after system has completed boot up. You can verify by logging into the router GUI. Are you still having issues if so what are they? we are looking for full feedback on this FW push to the RBK 40/30 units.

DarrenM

Message 10 of 27
YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

EB... Thankfully I have not yet had my system auto update to the new FW.  I am still running 1.11.0.20.  I had to ultimately do a full Factory Reset to get it stable on 1.11.0.20.  I would recommend you do the same.  I shudder to think of once again dealing with the problems you are experiencing.  Besides wishing Netgear would actually send something that doesn't "break" a stable system, I sincerely wish they would add a feature to turn off Auto Update.  

At present my system is back to the sweet spot it was in for about a month before 1.12.0.18 came out and ruined it.  I won't have a choice but to see what happens with the newest FW.  But, I will quickly factory reset and roll it back again if I have to.  Also, you should post your experience anywhere you can since clearly Netgear doesn't care that we have to spend the time and effort to keep undoing the problems their new FW causes. What perplexes me even more is why for the RBK30/40 they didn't understand that 1.11.0.20 was the only FW yet that actually worked!

Let me know if you need any guidance on doing a full factory reset and installation of 1.11.0.20.  While Darren's instructions are correct, in my experience a simple rollback doesn't work.  He even advised in this thread or another, when I had to rollback from 1.12.0.18 that I should have done a factory reset.  

Good grief when will this end?

Message 11 of 27
DarrellRiffe
Apprentice

@EB2017 wrote:

My Orbi is broken again. We came home from work today with the unhappy surprise that we are offline once again. Thanks to Netgear 's automatic updates, V 1.12.0.20 is no more functional than 18 was, and is actually worse. It won't let me roll back to 1.11.0.20 at all. When I try to load the file, I get the progress bar and at the very end, it drops off and says there's no network connection. 

I was  getting along just fine with 1.11.0.20; we would have slow dropped/slow periods which I had previously blamed on my satellite provider, but now realize it must have been the Orbi. 

Now on it's completely useless again. What experiences are others having. 

NETGEAR PLEASE FIX THIS FOR GOOD BEFORE I AM FORCED TO POST MY EXPERIENCE ON AMAZON. 

I currently have the V1.12.0.18 FW loaded, and it has been doing pretty well for my setup - in fact, very well.  You state that your Orbi auto-updated to FW V1.12.0.20.  Until this post, this is the first that I have heard that a new FW version was available.  Not that I'm looking to be an early adapter, especially reading the horror stories of others with the 1.12.0.18 the update.   Just curious as to where the V.1.12.0.20 FW it and a discussion what was changed is located.  I checked the FW update on my Orbi config page, but it says that 1.12.0.18 is the latest.  If I'm gonna be faced with an autoupdate, I'd at least like to read about it beforehand.

Message 12 of 27
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello DarrelRIffe

Here is the link to the new firmware and it fixed some bugs with the .18 firmware no major changes.

http://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK40.aspx#download

DarrenM

Message 13 of 27
YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

Hello DarrelRIffe

Here is the link to the new firmware and it fixed some bugs with the .18 firmware no major changes.

http://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK40.aspx#download

DarrenM

This is confusing Darren. The link you provided is to 1.11.0.20 FW which is NOT new as stated in your reply. Based on your reply one would assume it was new FW to replace 1.12.0.18. You should clarify. Either 1.12.0.18 is the latest (and still has a bug per your response in a previous comment) or there is something new. Should be a simple answer.
Message 14 of 27
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Yabbadabbadooo

Sorry about that I looked at the .20 and was not paying attention  so ignore my post I just know we are going release the fixed 1.12 firmware soon for the RBR40 and 30 units.

DarrenM

Message 15 of 27
YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

Thanks for the clarification. I hope what I did to block any forced FW updates works since 1.11.0.20 is stable for me and finally working as it should. I don't want to risk it until I see what happens in this forum.
Message 16 of 27
YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

Yep they released it (1.12.0.20) and it did the usual havoc on my system. May as well have been a carbon copy of 1.12.0.18. I am so done with you Netgear. Yet again I have to spend an hour resetting my system to 1.11.0.20 since you refuse to give us the logical option of shutting down auto updates. Why is that so hard? Clearly some people for whatever reason have stable systems on different FW releases. Clearly one size doesn't fit all so let us keep what works!!!! Last time I checked, we were the customers who paid $300-$400 for your garbage product.
Message 17 of 27
DarrellRiffe
Apprentice

@YabbadabbaDoooo wrote:
Yep they released it (1.12.0.20) and it did the usual havoc on my system. May as well have been a carbon copy of 1.12.0.18. I am so done with you Netgear. Yet again I have to spend an hour resetting my system to 1.11.0.20 since you refuse to give us the logical option of shutting down auto updates. Why is that so hard? Clearly some people for whatever reason have stable systems on different FW releases. Clearly one size doesn't fit all so let us keep what works!!!! Last time I checked, we were the customers who paid $300-$400 for your garbage product.

Evidently, they released 1.12.0.20 for the Orbi AC2200 systems, but not the AC3000 systems.  I have the RBK53, so there is no 1.12.0.20 listed.  Not that I'm complaining, though.  Mine is running fine with 1.12.0.18.

Message 18 of 27
YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

I will bet you money that you just haven't received it yet.  Nobody has every implied Netgear could selectively send FW updates to specific models of their devices.  If that was the case, I never would have received 1.12..0.18 since the release notes said it was all about the RB50 models (AC3000).  It goes back and forth. Break one, fix the other, fix the other, break another.  Good luck when it comes to you.  Even if it doesn't, without an ability to stop auto updating, you can be sure one of them will surely screw your system.

Message 19 of 27
YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

Anyone have any ideas of how I can dig out of the mess the newest FW 1.12.0.20 caused my RB40 system?  I spent 2 hours on it last night trying to roll back the FW to 1.11.0.20. The internet disconnects were so frequent I would end up having to start over in the GUI.  I did a full Erase from the GUI, I did a Factory Reset....loaded 1.11.0.20 and it auto updated back to the lastest Crapware.  I literally am having to use the hotspot on my phone to work since the wifi disappears several times an hour, loses internet connection and has about 1/4 the speed I was getting before.  

Are there some settings I am not thinking of that I should set a certain way?  I have tried changing channels (even used a Network Analyzer), turned off Guest Network, toggled Beamforming off and on, did multiple power up resets.  Nothing is working and I can't seem to get back to a clean load of 1.11.0.20.  This is nuts.  Any help would be appreciated. I am kicking myself for not returning this when I had the chance.  $300 paperweight.   

Message 20 of 27
Asdirect
Guide

This is just a crazy chain of events. As a new owner I am very nervous. Think I'm going to return it. This is an expensive device and it is in many stores. How could they have such poor software and support? Why has netgear not posted a reply to this issue? Sounds extremely disappointing. I just bought an ARLO today. I might not even UN-box it. 

Message 21 of 27
st_shaw
Master

@Asdirect wrote:

This is just a crazy chain of events. As a new owner I am very nervous. Think I'm going to return it. This is an expensive device and it is in many stores. How could they have such poor software and support? Why has netgear not posted a reply to this issue? Sounds extremely disappointing. I just bought an ARLO today. I might not even UN-box it. 

What issue are you having?  There are plenty of people with no issues. I've had Orbi since January 1 with no problems.

Message 22 of 27
YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

@st_shaw wrote:

What issue are you having?  There are plenty of people with no issues. I've had Orbi since January 1 with no problems.

Respectfully, how many is "plenty"?  What is your measure of quality?  Is 90 out of every 100 sufficient?  90% sounds like an A unless you are in the 10% whose product is failing. What other purchases would people be willing to make with a 1 in 10 failure rate? What company today would be allowed to produce anything with that kind of failure rate?   I am probably being generous with Netgear's actual number for the Orbi (Firmware).  

I am happy for those, like yourself, that seem to have functioning systems .  It also isn't helpful to those of us who've had nothing but problems from day 1.  Perhaps you could help us by describing the system you have, how it is set up, if you just had to plug it in without any extra setup beyond what Netgear describes in their advertising, what firmware are you on, type and speed of ISP, etc..  You have clearly seen the issues I have described and my attempted remedies.  How can you help me?  Isn't that what this community is for? I surely don't see Netgear support do much on here other than say, sure we are listening....will be fixing it soon.  Check is in the mail.  Put yourself in the shoes of those who in good faith bought this product based on advertised performance, only to spend countless hours "fixing" it.  What if you worked for yourself from home and ended up having to use the hotspot on your phone for internet connection in order to get out a deliverable to a client because your system keeps disconnecting every 5 minutes?  Then you spend several "un-billable" hours fiddling with the system for the dozenth time. Last but not least, how about if you spent a few days on here asking why a new FW update seemed to crater your system only to have the Netgear moderatory eventually post..."yeah, turns out that version has a bug in it so you should just go ahead and do a factory reset and reinstall the previous version".  Would that be acceptable to you?  Go try and find 1.12.0.18 under downloads for any of the Orbi models.  You won't find it because they pulled it.  I could go on but you get the point.  

Message 23 of 27
st_shaw
Master

@YabbadabbaDooooMy question was not directed at you.

How can I help you? It's impossible to say without more information. If you create a new thread and describe in detail your setup, and what issues you are having, I will read it.  All I know is you said your system was working great on old firmware, new firmware broke it, and now you cannot stop the new firmware from updating.

If I were in your position, I'd pursue a solution I know would work, and move on.  I'd buy a $50 edgerouter or mikrotik and put that in front of Orbi, run Orbi in AP mode, and create a firewall rule to block all outgoing traffic initiated by the Orbi.  I think that would stop the updates without impacting any features. Plus you'd have a full featured router and great WiFi.

BTW, I run my Orbi RBK50 on the latest FW (v1.12.0.18), in AP mode, behind a Mikrotik RB750gr3, behind a Technicolor C2100T DSL modem in bridged mode. Service is bonded VDSL at 100 Mbps. Orbi sits in the middle of a very large lot, so no neighbor's WiFi to interfere. I do have multiple wireless devices of my own though, including Sonos, Bluetooth temp/hum sensors, 900 MHz temp sensor, wireless weather station, XBee 2.4 GHz point-to-point sensor links, and RedLink wirless HVAC equipment.

Message 24 of 27
YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

@st_shaw wrote:

@YabbadabbaDooooMy question was not directed at you.

How can I help you? It's impossible to say without more information. If you create a new thread and describe in detail your setup, and what issues you are having, I will read it.  All I know is you said your system was working great on old firmware, new firmware broke it, and now you cannot stop the new firmware from updating.

If I were in your position, I'd pursue a solution I know would work, and move on.  I'd buy a $50 edgerouter or mikrotik and put that in front of Orbi, run Orbi in AP mode, and create a firewall rule to block all outgoing traffic initiated by the Orbi.  I think that would stop the updates without impacting any features. Plus you'd have a full featured router and great WiFi.

BTW, I run my Orbi RBK50 on the latest FW (v1.12.0.18), in AP mode, behind a Mikrotik RB750gr3, behind a Technicolor C2100T DSL modem in bridged mode. Service is bonded VDSL at 100 Mbps. Orbi sits in the middle of a very large lot, so no neighbor's WiFi to interfere. I do have multiple wireless devices of my own though, including Sonos, Bluetooth temp/hum sensors, 900 MHz temp sensor, wireless weather station, XBee 2.4 GHz point-to-point sensor links, and RedLink wirless HVAC equipment.

I appreciate your post and no offense but it made me laugh out loud. It is sadly funny to suggest I spend more money and time to fix what is advertised as a simple, high end wifi system that should do what it claims it can do.  I really don't think it is too much to ask after paying $300+ that the product actually work as advertised.   You should do an experiment and unplug everything, set it back up as just the Orbi system functioning as a router from your modem, then see how well it works.  Oh and to your comment previously that I have not elaborated on the problems I have been experiencing, look at several other posts.  I have explained it in detail.  Again, appreciate you offering what I know would be a solution but I am done screwing with Netgear.  What I am going to do is have my buddy that works for Cisco use his employee discount and his skills to set me up a professional grade wireless network that is proven to work.  

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7