Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK43 backhaul status poor

Viksharma
Aspirant

Orbi RBK43 backhaul status poor

Hi

I have a Orbi RBK43 system (2 satellites) running the latest firmware (.30 or something). The router is in router mode connected to a fiber modem

The issue is one of the satellites always shows backhaul status as poor - I have moved the places and still atleast one satellite shows poor backhaul status.

My house is around 8000sqft but covered area is around 4000sq ft. The satellites are in two rooms - the farthest satellite is around 45 feet away in my main bed room which always shows good backhaul (although connection as per app is sometimes 5ghz and sometimes 2.4ghz). Now the satellite is around 40feet away but probably with more concrete wall in between. The other satellite always shows poor backhaul despite always connecting at 5ghz.
I tried turning off daisy chain, Mimo etc and no luck.
I have even moved this satellite closer in an another room but backhaul status has remained poor.

First time when I set up the router the backhaul was good and somehow since then one satellite always has poor backahul - no matter where I keep it in my rooms (I haven’t tried closer location as my lounge is fully covered by my router anyway)
The lights on my satellites as per the app is always amber.
Is there a way to improve the backhaul to good - I have only seen good backhaul once
Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK43 backhaul status poor

My house is around 8000sqft but covered area is around 4000sq ft. The satellites are in two rooms - the farthest satellite is around 45 feet away in my main bed room which always shows good backhaul (although connection as per app is sometimes 5ghz and sometimes 2.4ghz). Now the satellite is around 40feet away but probably with more concrete wall in between. 

Thats you're key statement right there. Concrete and brick are amazing at blocking signal. A single concrete wall can reduce signal 53db and that put you at "poor connection" levels. I'm surprised you get a signal through concrete with enough to consider a usable backhaul.  I'd investigate running an ethernet wired, powerline connection, or even a moca connection for the backhaul. 

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Try moving the RBS closer. 

As mentioned if your dealing with concrete, this will cause problems.

Message 3 of 5
Viksharma
Aspirant

Thanks for the response but lemme tell you the throughput of the internet is same everywhere even with poor backhaul (my 100mbps Connection is shown 100mbps in both rooms when using speed test )
Maybe it’s something in my head that I want the system to show good backhaul as such the experienced throughput is great
Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

If your getting good thruput and speeds with the status reading poor then I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Again the system is dealing with concrete and this will impact the coverage. So even though the status reads poor, the system maybe working as best as it can with the conditions it's working with. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7