Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK43S Speed Very Low

House82
Aspirant

Orbi RBK43S Speed Very Low

This system has been reducing my speed more than it ever has. I have 500Mbps coming out of the modem, but as soon as the Orbi system is hooked up my speed won't go over 140Mbps. I've reset to default settings numerous times, moved satellites around, contacted support a few times (they continue to tell me it's Charter, but it's not - I have almost 500Mbps coming out of the modem). I have Disney Circle and Netgear Armor enabled, but even tried disabling those to no avail. There was a time (with current firmware) that I was able to see 440-460 Mbps, but haven't for about 2 months now. Changed nothing. Any ideas out there? Maybe some settings I'm overlooking? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Firmware Version: 2.5.1.16

Message 1 of 8
Mstrbig
Master

Re: Orbi RBK43S Speed Very Low

@House82 wrote:
This system has been reducing my speed more than it ever has. I have 500Mbps coming out of the modem, but as soon as the Orbi system is hooked up my speed won't go over 140Mbps. I've reset to default settings numerous times, moved satellites around, contacted support a few times (they continue to tell me it's Charter, but it's not - I have almost 500Mbps coming out of the modem). I have Disney Circle and Netgear Armor enabled, but even tried disabling those to no avail. There was a time (with current firmware) that I was able to see 440-460 Mbps, but haven't for about 2 months now. Changed nothing. Any ideas out there? Maybe some settings I'm overlooking? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Firmware Version: 2.5.1.16

Did you reboot your ISP modem/router, before starting the Orbi router install?
What size is your network cable and have you changed the network cable connected from the ISP device to your Orbi router?
Try these settings:
Disable Circle, Armor, Daisy Chaining, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and uncheck 20/40Mhz Coexistence.
Enable WMM, Implicit BeamForming, Mu-MIMO
Set Short preamble mode. Save settings, reboot Orbi.

Message 2 of 8
House82
Aspirant

Yes, ISP modem was rebooted before install. It was actually rebooted during the install as well, as the Orbi app specifies to do so. Network cable is typical Cat5. I will try these settings when I get home from work and report back. Thank you for the response! 

Message 3 of 8
Mstrbig
Master

@House82 wrote:

Yes, ISP modem was rebooted before install. It was actually rebooted during the install as well, as the Orbi app specifies to do so. Network cable is typical Cat5. I will try these settings when I get home from work and report back. Thank you for the response! 

Change the cable to cat5e or you will not get speeds much over 100Mbps

Message 4 of 8
House82
Aspirant

Cable is Cat5e. I changed all recommended settings and still see 144 Mbps. No improvement. There was a time that this firmware and setup saw 400-500 Mbps, so not sure why this changed. I literally changed nothing. Did a speedtest one day and noticed that my download speeds weren't going over 150 Mbps. For the last 2 months I've been trying to determine why. Not sure what to do at this point besides change mesh systems yet again. Not entirely thrilled about that, as these are not cheap. Any other suggestions? 

Message 5 of 8
Mikey94025
Hero

I know you've already tried some of these steps but is there anything else helpful in: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...?

Message 6 of 8
House82
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I haven't checked speeds coming from the Orbi station or the satellites via wired connection yet, only wireless. I will point out that I have consistently used the Orbi app for iOS for my speed testing, and have seen the 400-500 Mbps speeds on that app (I no longer see anything over 150 Mbps). I have also used speedtest.net on a Macbook and an iMac for wireless testing as well, and have not seen anything over 150 Mbps. I will follow this link this evening and see what I can find. There was a time my speeds were incredible and I didn't have any issues. Just baffling when no settings or firmware changed. 

Message 7 of 8
House82
Aspirant

Looks like the speeds coming from my Orbi router are steady at 450-500 Mbps (hard-wired into it with MacBook). Hard-wired speeds coming from satellites are lower, coming in at roughly 175-200 Mbps (which is expected being connected through WiFi). I’ll leave the settings as is from the prior suggestions and see how consistent this is. Looks like my only issue would be WiFi speeds, but can’t really expect 400-500 Mbps from 2 satellites that aren’t hard-wired. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. We’ll see what happens.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7