Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK50 2.5.0.38/40 firmware

Slybaoth
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50 2.5.0.38/40 firmware

Hello,

I have a RBR50 with 1 satellite RBS50.

I've seen on a news website a few days ago that a "new" firmware allows me to use directly Orbi instead of my internet provider box (Orange) : firmware 2.5.0.38

After verification, I am still on an older firmware and the update don't show up !

After a look on the forum, I discover that there is also a newer version : 2.5.0.40.

After searching on the support section, those two firmware are not "easily" available : nothing through the official search bar, the latest firmware is 2.3.5.38.

But through a google search, I can find the 2.5.0.40 on a support webpage...

As I also see that it seems that there is some people unhappy with those firmware, and stating that there is new bug, I want to know what is happening with this firmware ?? what is the problem ? do I risk something using this firmware ?

Thanks in advance,

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Orbi RBK50 2.5.0.38/40 firmware

A couple of comments....you don't state whether or not your Orbi system is actually working now.  IF it is , I would leave it alone.  I don't think a firmware update does anything about your ability to use the internet provider box.  That would probably be more of a case of dealing with 2 routers (internet provider box + Orbi).  It can be done, but most recommend against it.  You may want to call your internet provider and ask if you can use ONLY the Orbi.

As far as which firmware to use, again...if your system is working, leave it alone.  Netgear will auto-push any updates that contain major revisions with no action on your part.  The ones you may see as being available when you login to your Orbi are there but you don't have to update.  The choice is yours.

Message 2 of 8
Slybaoth
Aspirant

It is working perfectly now.

And I agree with you that if everything is working fine, there is no need of updating the firmware... And that's what I fear about this "phantom" firmware.

But maybe I don't explain well : with my current firmware, I can not replace my provider box : Orbi is connected through ethernet to it and spread the wifi.

With the firmware 2.5.0.38, it will allow me to fully remove the provider box. Seems that there is a partnership between Orbi and My provider as in configuration, with this firmware, Orbi can be put in AP mode, router mode or Orange mode.

This will allow to have a simplest and cleaner configuration (no sub-network, etc...).

Message 3 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Slybaoth wrote:

It is working perfectly now.

And I agree with you that if everything is working fine, there is no need of updating the firmware... And that's what I fear about this "phantom" firmware.

But maybe I don't explain well : with my current firmware, I can not replace my provider box : Orbi is connected through ethernet to it and spread the wifi.

With the firmware 2.5.0.38, it will allow me to fully remove the provider box. Seems that there is a partnership between Orbi and My provider as in configuration, with this firmware, Orbi can be put in AP mode, router mode or Orange mode.

This will allow to have a simplest and cleaner configuration (no sub-network, etc...).

Although I would never use the AP mode, I believe the AP mode is available with any firmware.  Lots of discussion about it here going back several firmware releases.  Good luck and happy thanksgiving 

Message 4 of 8
Slybaoth
Aspirant

That's not exactly the point.

I know that the AP mode is available in any firmware.

I will not describe precisely my set up but today, I don't have the choice : I need to use the AP mode and let the provider box doing the router job.

But what I want and it is not available in my current firmware is this special mode, dedicated to my provider. This special mode is only available in firmware 2.5.0.38 (and next, I hope)/

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

As Richard Nixon said, "Trust, but VERIFY".  On this forum, the ONLY mention of a "special relationship" with a provider has been people who purchased Orbi from Verizon and cannot update firmware because the box is locked to Verizon and only Verizon can do updates on it.  Somehow, I very much doubt that Netgear has made a special arrangement with Orange.  I fear you were misinformed.

Message 6 of 8
Slybaoth
Aspirant

My Orbi was not purchased at Orange (not sure it can be...) and not locked, that's not the point here (but I understand the Verizon problem)

But yes, the last firmware adds a special compatibility with Orange.

Here's a screenshot :

https://cdn.mgig.fr/2019/11/mg-d0cad284-1876-4037-a839-w1000h247-sc.jpg 

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You can find v40 here:

https://kb.netgear.com/000061393/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-5-0-40-Hot-Fix

If you choose to update, be sure to factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch. Walk thru the setup wizard and complete the setup. If this allows you to remove your ISPs modem from the mix and use the RBR directly with there services, enjoy. You might contact your ISP to confirm that this is possible and won't interfere with there services. 

@Slybaoth wrote:

Hello,

I have a RBR50 with 1 satellite RBS50.

I've seen on a news website a few days ago that a "new" firmware allows me to use directly Orbi instead of my internet provider box (Orange) : firmware 2.5.0.38

After verification, I am still on an older firmware and the update don't show up !

After a look on the forum, I discover that there is also a newer version : 2.5.0.40.

After searching on the support section, those two firmware are not "easily" available : nothing through the official search bar, the latest firmware is 2.3.5.38.

But through a google search, I can find the 2.5.0.40 on a support webpage...

As I also see that it seems that there is some people unhappy with those firmware, and stating that there is new bug, I want to know what is happening with this firmware ?? what is the problem ? do I risk something using this firmware ?

Thanks in advance,

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7