Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK50 (AC3000) connection to vodafone router

ChrisRivers222
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50 (AC3000) connection to vodafone router

Hi I have an Orbi RBK50 (AC3000) bought in 2018. It has been working happily with my plusnet router since then. However, I have now changed to vodaphone and have had problems connecting the new vodafone router to the Orbi. To make matters worse, I havent been able to get into the Orbi settings on my computer to look at them and be able to change them; 'admin' (username) and 'password' (password) dont allow me in and there is no option to reset. I have connected the Orbi and vodaphone router by ethernet and they both apprear to be working as routers. Please help!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

The reason that "admin" and "password" are not working is probably that the administrative password was changed during setup in 2018.  (The setup process is pretty demanding about the user picking something more secure than "password".)

Orbi provides a "password recovery" capability.  (I have used it myself.)  Just enter the password incorrectly several times and a box will pop up asking if you want to recover the password.  Alas, this feature depends on the user having entered answers to some security questions at the time the router was originally set up (and answering them correctly during reovery).  There is no penalty for trying.  It might work for you.

The reset process on the router is not complicated.  On the back, there is a tiny hole labelled "reset".  Stick the end of a paperclip into the hole and press until the LED above the Power button turns from green to amber and then begins to flash.  This can take 10-15  seconds.  At this point, the router has been set "back to factory".  It remembers nothing about the previous configuration.  Not the password, not any devices that were assigned IP addresses.... nothing.  The administrative user name is "admin" and the password is "password."  The WiFi name and password are printed on a label on the router.  If the router WiFi name had been changed during setup, then no devices will connect to it until (a) they are reset to the names on the label, or (b) the router is set up and given exactly the same WiFi name and password as it had before.

Now that the router is reset, connect a computer to a LAN port, go to the web interface "orbilogin.com", and perform a setup.

If the router has not been accessed since 2018, it may be several firmware updates behind.

You are correct that it is better to have only a single "router".  What a lot of people do is contact the ISP support desk and ask them to put the Vodaphone in "bridge" or "passthrough" mode so that it is no longer routing (and also no longer broadcasting WiFi).

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@ChrisRivers222 wrote:

Hi I have an Orbi RBK50 (AC3000) bought in 2018. It has been working happily with my plusnet router since then. However, I have now changed to vodaphone and have had problems connecting the new vodafone router to the Orbi. To make matters worse, I havent been able to get into the Orbi settings on my computer to look at them and be able to change them; 'admin' (username) and 'password' (password) dont allow me in and there is no option to reset. I have connected the Orbi and vodaphone router by ethernet and they both apprear to be working as routers. Please help!

Message 3 of 6
ChrisRivers222
Aspirant

Vodafone Router HUAWEI 963168_HUAWEIVOX25

Firmware: 5.4.8.1.291.1.30.1.32.1.2

Model HHG2500

Thanks very much for your response.  I have contacted vodafone, who advise that they router cant be used in bridge mode.  So, I have follwed your guidance and have put the orbi in AP mode. To change double NAT, I now need to change the settings on the vodafone router. I attach screenshots of the wifi settings, and get a warning to turn these off - please can I check which settings I should use with the orbi in AP mode?  

thanks for your support, which is much appreciated.

Message 4 of 6
ChrisRivers222
Aspirant

And second screenshot

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I would switch off the WiFi network and WiFi enable buttons is all. This should fully disable the radios on the modem. Contact your ISP for further help with the modem.

Glad you go the Orbi setup for AP mode. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7