Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK50 Best Firmware?

klark1kent
Tutor

Orbi RBK50 Best Firmware?

Hi All

So I'm upgrading to Orbi from a Nighthawk X4S AC2600 primarily because I have way too many devices at this point and need a better whole home, multi-level solution. With that being said, I see so many horror stories on this forum about the firmware, especially since Version 2. I was wondering, for those of you who have had the device for a while... What firmware you'd choose to remain on if you could go back in time? 

I'm on V1.12.0.18 right now out of the box, and in the admin interface it suggests a firmware upgrade. But honestly, I don't even think I want to go down that path.

Sidebar question, are any of you using routers behind Orbi as access points? I do still think it'd be awesome if I could use the 7800 in my office to further solidify coverage. 

Thanks! 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 3
godspeed
Apprentice

Re: Orbi RBK50 Best Firmware?

I've only had the RBK50 for about 2 weeks, and immediately upgraded the firmware to 2.0.0.74 and the to 2.1.1.12.  Both firmware versions have been problematic for me, mostly with constant reboots of the satellite and router (by looking at the debug.htm page system uptime timestamps).

I just downgraded to 1.11.0.20 yesterday, and i have not had any reboots, yet (only been 22 hours). I run the Orbis in AP mode, with an Asus router in front.  I am not sure if you can use a router as an AP behind Orbi, and if you were able to, be sure that you choose channels that do not interfere with each other.  

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 2 of 3
klark1kent
Tutor

Re: Orbi RBK50 Best Firmware?

Perfect. Feedback appreciated. Hopefully save me hours of banging head against the wall. I considered running router in front of the mesh but was concerned it might degrade performance. Anyone else wonder why they'd ship this out with a cat 5e cable? That was a minor but immediate red flag ...
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7