Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK50 - Can no longer connect to WiFi

mkennerley
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50 - Can no longer connect to WiFi

Everything was working well until my iPhone Orbi App told me there was a firmware update for my Orbi Router RBK50.

So I installed the new firmware.

Once the router rebooted I could no longer see my WiFi network. I tried rebooting several times with no luck. None of my devices could see the WiFi network.

So I followed the instructions to Reset the router and satellites.

I Still cannot see any WiFi Network.

The router just glows/flashes white and the satellite is glowing magenta even though it is less than an inch away.

Interestingly I can see the reset SSID "ORBI44" briefly while the satellite is searching for the router but it disappears as soon as the satellite glows magenta.

It looks like the firmware update has bricked the router and the satellite is probably OK.

Help??

Thanks, Mark

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK50 - Can no longer connect to WiFi

The Netgear web site (https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-router-and-satellite-mean) describes the router pulsing as one of two conditions:

• Your Orbi router and satellite are applying a configuration or updating their firmware
  • Your Orbi router is in factory default mode.

I would remove power from the satellite until the router situation is resolved.

I would then get out the paperclip and do a "factory reset", being sure to hold the paperclip in until the Power LED (above the tiny reset hole) begins to flash amber.  Sometimes this takes 10-12 seconds.

At that point, the router should come up in factory default mode (pulsing white) and should be broadcasting the SSID on the label, (which is probably ORBI44?)   If it is not broadcasting, then this is BAD, indeed.

Not having a wired connection increases the difficulty somewhat.  We old geeks connect PC's, Mac's, or laptops directly to a LAN port and set up the Orbi using a web browser.  (Confession:  In two years, I have never connected to the default WiFi SSID before setting up my Orbi.)

I also do not use the Orbi "app" to set up my Orbi.  My guess is that it might be a good idea to "forget" the previous setup and start from scratch with the app, once the iPhone is able to connect to the router.

Only after the router is working again, I would then do a factory reset on the satellite and sync it to the router.

Message 2 of 3
mkennerley
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBK50 - Can no longer connect to WiFi

Thanks for the reply.

Tried all sorts over the weekend. Reset it a number of times but no joy.

I did get it to semi-work. I could connect to both the router and the satellite at one one point when the router was connected to my switch via its own hub/switch (ie not the WAN port). Then I thought I'd  cracked it and plugge a cable into the WAN port and I lost it.

I have ordered an RBK30 as it was on offer on Amazon, hopefully the old RBS50 satellite will work with it.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7