Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK50 - DoS attacks from satellites. Really?!?

Steedvlx600
Luminary

Orbi RBK50 - DoS attacks from satellites. Really?!?

To belabour the subject I have ranted about on previous occaision, a pushed firmware update just cost me a whole day of production... For the THIRD time since getting this system. (FWIW: The NVRAM edits to disable automatic updates DO NOT work)

It is about to be rubble on the way to the recycling center. At any rate, I am purchasing a different system to replace this thing. I will NEVER purchase Netgear products again...EVER. (They trashed my NAS earlier this year with a flawed firmware update as well. And, THAT was an intermediate update for bug fixes.)
Netgear should have done away with the forced-push of firmware updates with the very first spate of issues. But, they are too arrogant and thick-headed to admit that their firmware is and has always been deeply flawed.
Leave it to the idiots at NG to take a great system and turn it into a piece of junk. They've seen their very last dollar from me.

Anyway, an interesting development now after FINALLY getting this system back online. There were two false starts when I thought it was going to be good after a hard reset and firmware reload. But, those setups were soon right back to dropping connections once a minute and refusing to function in any usable capacity.

-------The Actual, Current Situation-----
This time seems to be the charm... all except for these persistent and crippling DoS attacks...hundreds of them clogging the log with dozens every minute... all reported as originating at two specific IP addresses... LAN Addresses which just so happen to be... the SATELLITES. WTG Netgear! Can't even distinguish between a DoS attack and your own equipment backhaul. Kudos on the daily award for incompetance in computing.

I have disabled DoS detection. And, it seems to be working well now. But, that is a security hole that I wonder if it's worth it. What is the downside of disabling DoS on these systems? I see no real reason for it. But, I thought I would ask.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK50 - DoS attacks from satellites. Really?!?

Certainly interesting.  Can you do us a favor and cut and paste some of these DoS attacks from the satellites?

Message 2 of 4
Steedvlx600
Luminary

This stupid system will not allow me to attach the log file. No time to play with NG anymore. Replacing Orbi system today.

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for giving it a try.  I typically "copy" a section of the log, paste it into Notepad, and then paste the plain text into my response.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7