Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK50. Does Ethernet Backhaul work in unison with the Wifi Backhaul

BeerCanSandwich
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50. Does Ethernet Backhaul work in unison with the Wifi Backhaul

After asking the same question about the TP-Link Deco M9 plus, I was wondering whether connecting the RBR and RBS via ethernet cancels the backhaul dedicated wifi channel or do they work in unison with each other?

What I want to do (slightly different to the above) is to put the RBR router downstairs, (connected to a Virgin HUB3 in modem mode), then put the RBS upstairs in a front bedroom then connect that RBS via a poweline box to an office on the same floor to provide an Ethernet connection to an iMac Pro. I don't want to powerline from the RBR to the RBS because there is a lot of noise on the house mains from the upstairs to the downstairs but not so on the upstairs mains as they are on the same ring main with little to no noise. I also don't fancy the chances of the RBR making a solid wifi connection with the iMac Pro due to the position of the office (from previous experience with other wifi connections from the downstairs main router position to the iMac office being very poor).

It seems that the Deco M9 replaces it's dedicated backhaul wifi channel when you connect them as an ethernet backhaul which is not what I want.

Thanks in advance.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK50. Does Ethernet Backhaul work in unison with the Wifi Backhaul

@BeerCanSandwich wrote:

After asking the same question about the TP-Link Deco M9 plus, I was wondering whether connecting the RBR and RBS via ethernet cancels the backhaul dedicated wifi channel or do they work in unison with each other?

My understanding is the Orbi uses only one backhaul channel (WiFi or ethernet).  It does not use both at the same time.

In addition, one feature that annoys some users is that activating ethernet backhaul does not "turn off" the WiFi channel.  That 5G WiFi channel remains active (broadcasting management frames, but not data) in case the ethernet link disappears.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@BeerCanSandwich wrote:

My understanding is the Orbi uses only one backhaul channel (WiFi or ethernet).  It does not use both at the same time.

In addition, one feature that annoys some users is that activating ethernet backhaul does not "turn off" the WiFi channel.  That 5G WiFi channel remains active (broadcasting management frames, but not data) in case the ethernet link disappears.

Message 2 of 6
BeerCanSandwich
Aspirant

Many thanks Robot wink

Much like the Deco stuff then other than I believe the Deco disconnects the dedicated wifi backhaul altogether. Interesting info..

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

The wifi back haul is up and running, even if the ethernet back haul is used. If the ethernet backhaul fails, then the RBS have something to fall back on when that condition happens. 

Message 4 of 6
BeerCanSandwich
Aspirant

The remaining question is, is the Orbi intelligent enough to know which backhaul is faster and whether to prioritise that backhaul over the other, as in.. if the ethernet backhaul is slow, will it know that it's better off using the wifi backhaul if it's capable of higher speeds?

Maybe that's a question too complicated or obscure to answer ..

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Something probably won't know for sure. Ethernet backhaul is stable at 1000Mbps, while wifi backaul is rated up to 1733mpbs however this is varied by distance and building materials that will effect the speed rate seen between the RBR and RBS. So you may not see stable 1733Mpbs all the time or at all. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7