Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK50, Firmware V1.12.0.18 comes with new problems - internet disconnects on iOS and Androi

JimSweden
Star

Orbi RBK50, Firmware V1.12.0.18 comes with new problems - internet disconnects on iOS and Android

Hi

We have had the Orbi wifi system (RBR50 and RBS50) since April. We have quite a few different devices iOS, MacOS, Android. Especially the iOS and Android devices have had the occasional wifi disconnect problems described in these forums over the last months, annoying but the disconnects were typically only a few seconds long. I have followed the discussions here and have assumed that since the Netgear engineers seems to be addressing the problems (new firmware versions at a fairly rapid pace) it is just a matter of time before it gets fixed.

But now since 3 days ago, after the firmware V1.12.0.18 was installed, it has become worse. The iOS and Android devices do not have internet connection in an intermittent fashion and the problem can last for minutes or even hours. I have done factory reset and reboots of the Orbi devices, and rebooted and perfomed disable/enable wifi of the iOs and android devices several times now, sometimes it helps, sometimes not. When it helps the problems always comes back after some time of use.

Note that the wifi disconnects seems to have disappeared now on the iOS devices (but replaced with internet disconnects instead). On the Android devices there are still wifi disconnects (in addition to the internet disconnects)

After this firmware release it has gotten to a point were it is really annoying.

The wireless macOS devices (various MacBooks) seems to work OK (only after Orbi factory reset though). The wired devices have been working fine at all times.

I am a computer person by profession (although not working with wifi) willing to help to smoke out these bugs. Let me know. I have only been using the "stable releases" so far.

Thanks!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 18
YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

Re: Orbi RBK50, Firmware V1.12.0.18 comes with new problems - internet disconnects on iOS and Androi

Jim... I will probably start a new thread on this but wanted to at least reply to you first. I have the RBK40 (RBR40 and RBS40) also since April.  Had constant problems with it from the first week, all documented in one place or another on this Forum.  I was just about to return it for a refund when they release Firmware V1.11.0.20.  If you see that thread (it is noted as resolved) you will see that the release notes said it was for the RB40 (not the 50 and they are different).  That release fixed 100% of my problems and with it, my Orbi system was running the way it was intended (and why I bought it).  I enjoyed 3 weeks of stability and speeds that were like being plugged into ethernet, in all parts of my house.  Sadly, what I was worried about happened yesterday when my system Auto updraded to V1.12.0.18.  It has basically brought my system back to HORRIBLE and USELESS. The first thing noted were internet drops on my Microsoft computer, then wifi drops on 2 Android devices, and when reset everything (multiple times) the internet connection registered but speed was so slow it wouldn't even pull up a simple Google search screen.  I plugged directly into my Cable Modem so I could get on here and dowload V1.11.0.20 and roll back to it in the hopes that I can get back to what it was.  And yes, my internet service is fine as I am geting 100% of my service speed straight from the modem.  I changed reviews in several places for this product because I thought Netgear finally fixed it.  Guess I was wrong.  Sorry to see you are having similar issues even though the release notes for the latest referenced nothing but the RB50 products.  

To Netgear tech support when you read this....yes I unplugged and re-booted everything multiple times.  Connected to the Router and noted all settings were still as they should be.  Ran the speed test and it registered 0.85Mbs download and wouldn't register anything upload (I have 125Mbs).  I was consistently getting 120Mbs Down and 6Mbs Up hard wired and almost the same on Wifi before the upgrade.  Plugged directly into the Modem now with the Orbi down I get the usual 120Mbs/6Mbs.   I notice the release notes of 1.12.0.18 mention nothing but the RB"50" products.  Could it be that you all need to find a way to deal with these two Orbi systems differently?  While logic says they should be the same since they operate with the same technology and the only difference is in the rated speed (AC2200 for the RBK40 and AC3000 for the RBK50), it seems when you fix one you break the other.  Please give us the option of turning off Auto Updates so when we get the one that works for our respective systems we can keep it. I work from home and having to take the time to reset everything and roll back Firmware costs me time and money. Since I cancelled my return I am stuck with this $300 junk until who knows when you all get this mess sorted out. Once I open a new ticket if the roll back doesn't work, I hope you all will extend my free 90 day support until these issues are finally resolved.  It is not possible to keep a single ticket open the way things have gone because a "fix" may work for a few weeks so the ticket will auto expire.  I sincerely hope you all figure it out because after getting a taste of the way this system was meant to run, it is hard to imagine going back to the old Netgear Router with an Extender for the corner of the house.  

Message 2 of 18
JimSweden
Star

Thanks Yabba, I had theV1.11.0.20 and I agree it was clearly better, even though it had wifi disconnects with my RBK50. I will probably look into downgrading but I am hoping to get some responses from Netgear support or other people about possible fixes or upcoming firmware upgrades near term.

Message 3 of 18
YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

You probably already know this, but there are a number of threads related to 1.11.0.20 that illustrate the issues between RBK40 and RBK50.  Most people on these forums appear to have the AC3000 RBK50 system so I don't know if the AC2200 (RBK40) users, like me, have had the same problems.  I do know that a number of people with the RBK50 reported wifi drops with 1.11.0.20.  Again though, it makes sense because the release notes were specific to the issue of drops on the RBK40...no mention of the 50 at all.  Oh well, sigh...guess I willl contact them and run through all the BS if the rollback doesnt work. Good luck with whatever you do.  

Message 4 of 18
JimSweden
Star

I did a firmware downgrade, to V1.11.0.20, so now I am back to having occasional few seconds wifi disconnects and all 🙂
But it is much better than having the dreadful internet disconnects (which typically lasted for many minutes not seconds).

After reading more on the forums I understand Netgear have been working with this firmware for more than 1/2 year now. I appreciate the effort with adding new functionality, but not having sorted out basic stability issues like wifi and internet disconnects after 1/2 year make me wonder whether they will fix it at all?? Maybe i should ask for money back?

Message 5 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

For some of us, the Orbi was pefect until 1.11 and then started suffering terribly.  Now with 1.12.0.18 I'm back to rock solid, as Orbi had been for my 90+ devices since March.

Message 6 of 18
YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

Tex.... therein lies the heart of the problem.  For users like me with the RBK40 (AC2200) 1.11.0.20 eliminated all of my problems and gave me three weeks of perfection.  Then 1.12.0.18 came along and broke the crap out of it.  Yet it was the opposite for many with the RBK50 (AC3000).  Clearly one sizes fits all Firmware isn't working.  I did a full factory reset and installed 1.11.0.20 and am back to mostly good functioning, though still having some wild speed swings.  Now I just saw that Netgear posted on another thread I created, that yes, 1.12.0.18 has a bug in it so I should downgrade!!!  Duh.  This would all be comical if it wasn't costing me time and causing me headaches.  I lost my window to return this so I hope they fix it. Glad things are working well for you!

Message 7 of 18
JimSweden
Star

Glad to hear 1.12.08 is solid for some. Hopefully Netgear will fix the internet disconnects soon in an updated firmware.

I have been on 1.11.0.20 now for a day and works clearly better for me, no internet disconnects but some wifi disconnects (few seconds).

BTW, every setting is default, the RBR50 router is used as a router, taking care of DHCP etc. I have not had a single internet disconnect before 1.12.08, so it is not our fiber operator (and the wired devices have been working at all times).

Message 8 of 18
Basura3d
Guide

I have the same problems 😞

I'm suprised that a big company with such an expensive product has something so basic as its basic function not working properly. Last time I had to disconnect and go back to my D-link solution and was hoping the new firmware would work.
Message 9 of 18
shoek
Tutor

For what it is worth, my Orbi RBR50 + 2xRBS50 system with around 70 wifi devices has been pretty much flawless from the start.  

UNTIL fw 1.12.0.18

Now I'm finally seeing what everyone is complaining about with wifi and internet dropouts on iOS devices.  This results in youtube videos stopping, facetime calls failing, etc.  Never had this before this version.

I went back to 1.11.0.20 for now.  Hopefully Netgear finds the issue.

Message 10 of 18
Basura3d
Guide

I will have to try that. Is a refund possible? A wifi router that fails at its most basic function is ridiculous. It's super frustrating.
Message 11 of 18
YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

Basura, my thoughts exactly.  Somewhere along the line some senior management type succumed to the pressure to get this product to market when it wasn't ready.  I can't imagine any scenario where a company like Netgear failed to see these issues during their own testing.  It just keeps getting worse as the latest Firmware was released with a bug in it after they worked on it 6 months!  What we "customers" are having to deal with is unconscionable!!!!  I too have my old Netgear 6100 Dual Band router out and ready to get plugged in when the problems get to be too much.  I am self employed and if things go down at the house it makes it difficult to be productive.  Time really is money and Netgear owes me a bunch I will never see.  

Message 12 of 18
whiskeybravo
Aspirant

I'm having similar issues, but I've had issues since I got this.  Frustrating because I went through a similar ordeal with Luma first.  Got tired of the lack of control and returned all of that.  This one gives great control, but constant issues.  What I see is wildly fluctuating ping times and speeds while signal strength stays consistent.  Wired connections are perfectly stable.  I've tried in router mode, AP mode, directly to the modem, front-ended with a Palo Alto firewall and all other sorts of configs with no luck.  I'm quickly beginning to think we're beta testing this platform for Netgear.  I want to like it, but if it's billed to cover 6k sqft, it barely gets my 2k sqft and does it poorly.  I'm in new construction too, so no plaster or anything like that.  Very frustrating.

Message 13 of 18
whiskeybravo
Aspirant

I added some pictures below to kind of show what I'm experiencing.  At times, I see pings much, much higher than this.  I'm talking pings as high as 2500ms to the gateway.  Although, that typically only happens on 2.4, which I get stuck on often for some reason from this late 2016 MBP and iPhones.  My area isn't congested either.  I can only see 2 other wireless networks within range, to include broadcasted and non-broadcasted ESSIDs.  

At the time of these screenshots, my network was dead with a total of 4 wireless devices on it including a nest, my laptop, my phone, and a printer, while I am 15 feet from the router.  No excuse for this crap.  I didn't screenshot it, but at the same times of these captures, i had a wired device running the same pings with sub ms response time to the gateway and <30ms to 8.8.8.8 consistently.  Also, running speed tests will fluctuate between showing me at 120Mbps, which is what I pay for and 55 Mbps while sitting in the same spot, with the same stats as shown below.  I just don't get it.

I've asked for an RMA, but if that doesn't go well, i'm not sure what to do since i'm out of the exchange window time frame with Amazon.  $400 is a lot to drop on something that doesn't work as advertised.

Wildly varying ping times to internal gateway (Firewall in front of RBR50)Wildly varying ping times to internal gateway (Firewall in front of RBR50)Wildly varying ping times to internet siteWildly varying ping times to internet siteGraph showing consistent wifi strength and noise-levelsGraph showing consistent wifi strength and noise-levels

Connection stats from late 2016 MBP during the wild ping time fluctuationsConnection stats from late 2016 MBP during the wild ping time fluctuations

Message 14 of 18
matiascuba
Tutor

I downgraded to 1.9.1.12 and so far it seems to work much better. No drops so far and the WiFi has been stable in performance too.

Message 15 of 18
JimSweden
Star

I did not downgrade all the way to V1.9.1.12,  stopped at V1.11.0.20. Had to use the telnet configuration trick since after first manual downgrade it autoupdated after some 5 days. While at V1.12.0.18 I tried once again to factory reset again but this firware is clearly not working for me - Complete chaos, most if not all wifi devices had "no internet connection", everybody in the family screaming at me to get rid of this crap.

But I downgraded to  V1.11.0.20 and disabled autoupdate so now it is running as before with occasional wifi drops. Very annoying if streaming videos (which I do not do on my wifi devices but my kids quite often).

So I am on the verge of returning it, but I like the long range/coverage of this kit so will probably wait some weeks more.

I have all settings 100% default, router mode, etc

Would appreciate if anyone have any tips on some settings to change! (that would fix the internet disconnects on wifi devices with V1.12.0.18)

(I did try the "disable DoS protection" but no change)

Message 16 of 18
cyberprashant
Luminary

Try unticking the 20/40 coexistence that seemed to make a difference and pick a channel such as 1 or 11 ie dont set to auto. This plus telnet downgrade to 1.11.0.20 rock stable rbk50 w ios chromecast amazon echo all running great. I have a router ahead (orbi wan port is router behind router plugged into r7000 lan) w downloads.netgear.com blocked.

Or try Setting parental control using opendns servers and then blocking downloads.netgear.com to prevent upgrade
Message 17 of 18
Ayershome
Aspirant

What is the fix for this repeated issue?  (Firmware Version 2.1.2.18)   

I've had my internet provider out 3 times over the past couple of weeks just to find it's the wireless router.  

It's a shame to spend extra money for a top quality wireless router to have it disconnect a few times each day.

Jeff

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7