Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK50 Firmware issue - need to stop auto upgrading

dbrewood
Guide

Orbi RBK50 Firmware issue - need to stop auto upgrading

Since being auto-upgraded to the 2.7.3.22 firmware I've had terrible isues with DNS / DDNS. Ideally I need a way to get back to using the 2.7.2.104 firmware.

Alas if I do downgrade to that version it automatically upgrades a few hours later.

So I need to downgrade to firmware which on the beta page still has the options or either turning off auto-upgrading or to allow telnet to be enabled (which can then be used to turn off the auto-upgrading).

I've asked Netgear Support but I'm not receiving any response. Can anyone answer my question? Hoping somebody can assist as at the moment I've had to disconnect the Orbi and go back to using the ISP router which is painful.

Thanks in advance.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK50 Firmware issue - need to stop auto upgrading

You need to put something in front of the orbi to block the orbi's access to the update server. 

It used to be able to be disabled from the UI but that's changed. 

Try reading this thread for how its done. Its for a RBR850 but the process is the same

Solved: RBR850: How to disable automatic firmware updates? - NETGEAR Communities

Message 2 of 9
dbrewood
Guide

Thanks for that, it looks like I'm stuck then. There's no way I can put anyhting ahead of the Orbi in the network. I guess the Orbi iteself cant be set to block the update URLs?

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Nope. Has to be done with a up stream router. 

Are you having problems with v22 loaded? If so, give details. 

Message 4 of 9
dbrewood
Guide

Yep that is what I thoiught adn I have no option of using an upstream router

The firmware I have is 2.7.3.22, problems are as in the first post. DNS on the network fails so DDNS (ect) services that my NAS need to run fail as it can't hit the internet. Worst affected part is that this takes my hosted forum offline.

Message 5 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@dbrewood wrote:

Thanks for that, it looks like I'm stuck then. There's no way I can put anything ahead of the Orbi in the network. I guess the Orbi iteself cant be set to block the update URLs?

"No way" may not be entirely correct.  "No way without purchasing a cheap router" might be more accurate.

The ISP router can be replaced by the Orbi, correct?

Then the ISP router can be replaced by any other router (that meets the ISP requirements) and the Orbi can be connected to that router in AP mode. Lots of routers are available for under $100US. (many under $50US)

Message 6 of 9
dbrewood
Guide

@CrimpOn wrote:

"No way" may not be entirely correct.  "No way without purchasing a cheap router" might be more accurate.

The ISP router can be replaced by the Orbi, correct?

Then the ISP router can be replaced by any other router (that meets the ISP requirements) and the Orbi can be connected to that router in AP mode. Lots of routers are available for under $100US. (many under $50US)

I know what you are saying but buying a new router is surely working round something that the Orbi should (and did) support natively until the blasted firmware update.

Message 7 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@dbrewood wrote:

I know what you are saying but buying a new router is surely working round something that the Orbi should (and did) support natively until the blasted firmware update.

Oh, yes. "Working around" is exactly correct.  As with a number of previous Orbi firmware releases, V2.7.3.22 has put some people in a frustrating situation:

• Live with problems with, or give up on, activities they want to do.
  • Dump their investment in an expensive WiFi solution that is really good in a lot of areas, but is driving them crazy over this particular issue.
  • Find a 'hack' that will be at least a temporary fix until Netgear fixes the problem.

Users on the community forum have no contact with Netgear engineering and certainly no influence over decisions (such as not stopping the release of this firmware version when problems arose or insisting on the auto-update feature).

All we can do is suggest things that some enterprising folks have discovered.

Situation sucks.

Message 8 of 9
dbrewood
Guide

Aye indeed understood.......

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation