Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK50 - Inconsistent speeds and connections!

Orbi RBK50 - Inconsistent speeds and connections!

I have just bought the Orbi RBK50 twin pack and set it up.

First thing I did was update both the satellite and router to the latest firmware - V2.1.1.16

I have now connected around 10 devices to the Orbi and have noticed 2 main issues -

1. Some of the devcies that are positioned closer to the satellite are still connected to the router which is at a further distance...

2. I have performed speed tests from the same location (approx. 7 foot away) for two devcies, 1. Macbook pro 2014, 2. Ipad 2014

The Ipad maxes out my speed at 200mbps however the macbook is around 100mb!

I have then tested it around the hosue with my phones (android and apple) and a few other devices and I get mix speeds rnaging from 20mb - 120mb...

I have checked the admin page and it seems some of the wireless devcies are connecting to 2.4ghz network and others on 5ghz.

Why is it so inconsistent?

Is there any settings I can change from default to help?

The only setting I have changed is disabling the Daisy-Chain Topology

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
ddp2049
Aspirant

I see you are having a problem. How can you tell which devices are on the router and satellite?  Do you know if the satellites' blue led light should be always on or it just turn at first connection?  

Message 2 of 5

you can check the devices via attached devices page...

It is blue and status on admin page is good.
LED is irrelevant as I have mentioned that on some devices I am getting my maximum provider speed...
Message 3 of 5
Emperor1
Guide

I've the same inconsistent wifi speed (and use a RBK23 kit with 2 satellites).

I'm using it as AP and the only change i've made is to enable  Implicit BEAMFORMING

Have you solved the inconsistence ?

I use a 1GB fiber FTTH

Message 4 of 5
st_shaw
Master

@Orbi1Kenobi77 wrote:

I have just bought the Orbi RBK50 twin pack and set it up.

First thing I did was update both the satellite and router to the latest firmware - V2.1.1.16

I have now connected around 10 devices to the Orbi and have noticed 2 main issues -

1. Some of the devcies that are positioned closer to the satellite are still connected to the router which is at a further distance...

2. I have performed speed tests from the same location (approx. 7 foot away) for two devcies, 1. Macbook pro 2014, 2. Ipad 2014

The Ipad maxes out my speed at 200mbps however the macbook is around 100mb!

I have then tested it around the hosue with my phones (android and apple) and a few other devices and I get mix speeds rnaging from 20mb - 120mb...

I have checked the admin page and it seems some of the wireless devcies are connecting to 2.4ghz network and others on 5ghz.

Why is it so inconsistent?

Is there any settings I can change from default to help?

The only setting I have changed is disabling the Daisy-Chain Topology

The behavior you describe in 1) and 2) is not surprising. Some devices, laptops, IP cameras, OSX devices, etc. will not roam between access points (APs) until the signal becomes almost unsuable.  They will stay associated with the first AP they see, even if a stonger AP becomes available.  For these devices you must cycle the WiFi on and off to get them to connect to the strongest AP.  Do that prior to your speed tests.

If some of your devices that do roam (e.g. iPhones) are preferring 2.4 GHz, then the device must think the 5 GHz signal is too weak. Next time this happens, use the Airport Utility on iOS to look at the RSSI for your APs.  You might need to move the Orbis for better coverage, or you might need to add a second satellite. Lowering the Orbi transmit power on 2.4 GHz might help, but could reduce coverage area.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7