Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK50 Keep Dropping Connection on Firmware 2.1.4.16

mfergus2
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50 Keep Dropping Connection on Firmware 2.1.4.16

The previous firmware was terrible, luckily 2.1.4.16 solved the connection issues..for about two weeks. My router has been dropping connection and losing connection with the satellite nearly every 15 minutes. I checked my connection directly off the modem, Gigabit on Cox on an Arris cable modem and consistently get over 900 Mbps. I reboot the router and notice an immediate drop to 200 Mbps wired on the same laptop that was just seeing 900 Mbps. Speed then fluctuates on wired and WiFi then ultimately goes out.

I rolled the firmware back to 2.0.0.74 as others suggested yet the dropping of connection continues, even over wired. I have contacted Netgear support and was told I was out of my 90 day tech support but still in hardware warranty. I purchased the system in February 2018. I still called Netgear and got the call center then was told after on hold for 40 minutes I would be routed to the Orbi support, then after a minute wait I was told that they couldn't transfer me and I would get a call back in one hour. The call never came.

Today I called Best Buy where I purchased the system and was told they would make an exception and do a return for me. I really don't want to start from scratch, the Orbi ran great for 4 months until firmware changes but I am running out of options. Anyone have ideas on what I should try. The system doesn't feel like it is overheating and the power plug is secure with proper power output. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK50 Keep Dropping Connection on Firmware 2.1.4.16

I would download the FW file for v.16

Disconnect the ISP modem from the router.

Disconnect all other devices from the router and wifi accept for the satelite(s).

Wire connect 1 PC to the router.

Re-load the FW for the Satellite(s) first. Then re-load the FW for the router.

Do a full ERASE or Factory reset on the satellite(s) then the router and set up from scratch.

Set up the router first, then re-add the satelite(s).

Any wireless neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try using Manual channels 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4ghz.

Review this as this is what I did to set up my friends 50 series last month:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

Can use the same configuration and see how it works for you.

Message 2 of 4
mfergus2
Aspirant

Thank you for the response and I apologize for the delay in mine. I finally got to your suggestions. Problem is now I can’t even connect to the router at times. If it’s not the internet dying because of the Orbi, it’s the Orbi shutting down and not allowing me to even connect. I checked the lights and power and the router seems fine. My situation unfortunately went from bad to worse.
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the model# of the ISP modem?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements