Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK50, RBS50 & RBS40V wifi calling issues

Browntownnj
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50, RBS50 & RBS40V wifi calling issues

I’ve noticed that my rbs40v constantly drops the Alexa but not it’s wifi when connected to my rbK50 and rbs50. BUT I do have random issues with wifi calling dropping (not always disconnecting but def dropping for more than 10 seconds) if my device(s) switch from the rbK50 or rbs50 to the rbs40v. It’s as if it isn’t really augmenting the mesh but acting like a separate mesh within since it’s on the same network. Anyone else having either of these issues?
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System, RBS40V|Orbi Voice Add-on WiFi Satellite and Smart Speaker
Message 1 of 20
vajim
Master

Re: Orbi RBK50, RBS50 & RBS40V wifi calling issues

Any recent firmware updates?

Message 2 of 20
Browntownnj
Aspirant

Im on the latest 2.7.2.104 but this was happening as well during the last fireware if not the last two. Basically when they dropped the 75% from transmit power, i started really nicticing this issue. The dropping of alexa has been going on fro the last 4 firmware updates and it seems to only fix itself for about a 2-3 week period after a reset, but im getting annoyed at having to reset my orbi every so often. Right now I can fix the disconnect from alexa with a quick power off but that still is ANNOYING.

Message 3 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings
Not seen on Orbi AX.

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

Message 4 of 20
Browntownnj
Aspirant

3300 sq ft home.
Router is in one corner of the home, 50 satellite is in the middle of the home and the 40v satellite is in the far opposite corner of the home as the router so they are making a straight line. The router and the 40v are connected via Ethernet and the satellite in the middle of the home is the only one using the wifi backhaul.

I have little to no interference from neighbors. If I do it’s only in one spot of my home and it’s barely there and not an issue. I own a wifi scanner and have checked the frequencies in and around my home. As for setting a channel vs auto, the issue still persists and has no benefit.

I’m quite familiar with all the settings you’ve mentioned and they are all set as is so that’s not the issue and of course if Ive tried both ways and always end up with those enabled.

Everything you suggested has also been tried and is currently set that way with the exception of ipv6. There is no difference with that on or off and I prefer to have it on.

My satellites are placed roughly 27-33 ft apart with walls, doors and furniture between them. When I scanned at 75% I had amazing coverage and very little issues. 100% causes overlap and 50% doesn’t seem to cover in all the places leaving me with dead spots. I don’t have issues with speed, I have issues with wifi calling dropping or switching between satellites slowly creating gaps in the conversation. I have giga fiber and see speeds between 230-368 on wifi and 900+ When on Ethernet. My biggest issue is that I’m stuck using AT&T’s gateway, but I already have that sorted and it’s not the issue as this wasn’t a problem when using the older firmwares.
Message 5 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Is Daisy chain enabled on the RBR? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

Message 6 of 20
Browntownnj
Aspirant

Yes Dailey chain has been enabled and yes two factory resets have been done as well as an manual update to ensure all updates were done correctly.
Message 7 of 20
Browntownnj
Aspirant

Sorry, let me clarify…yes Dailey chain has been enabled but since I only have two satellites and they are not in the spoke wheel set up with the router in the middle it’s not needed so it’s currently set to off.
Message 8 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

IF 100% is causing too much over lap then move the RBS farther away. They can be moved and place at greater distances. 30 feet is a starting point, however not necessarily a rule that you have to have them right at 30 feet. Others have reported having there RBS out at 60 feet. I have one of mien at 40 feet down in a basement area. I have great coverage and no dead spots. 

Seems like all this could be better helped by geting better placement and distances between the RBR and RBS to better get you the best coverage that the RBR and RBS can offer. 

Message 9 of 20
Browntownnj
Aspirant

I literally have them in each corner of the home. Unless I move them outside there is no further they can be placed. And before you say to remove one of the satellites, I’ve done that and just attempted to use the two 50’s, but that didn’t generate enough coverage and I was losing wifi speeds due to all the walls regardless of the placement.
Message 10 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Is this a single level home or multi? 

For 3300 sq ft, you should only need the RBR and 1 RBS. I have 5000sq ft home and use just 1 RBR and 1 RBS. Sometimes I connect a 2nd for testing and checking stability. But mostly 1 RBR and 1RBS covers my mutlti story home just fine. Zero dead zones. 100% power as well. 

Message 11 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible maybe one of your RBS could be faulty as well. Anything is possible when it comes to Orbi. 

Message 12 of 20
Browntownnj
Aspirant

I’m glad that works for you home, but for mine one didn’t cover and two also had issues. I have lots of stone and insulated walls. The size of the home is only one factor in determining placement. How many walls, furniture, insulation, types of walls, etc all affect how the signals pass. Having a giant fireplace in the middle of the home surrounded by stone doesn’t allow for wifi signals to pass at all…so again the placement I’ve been using is best based on the configuration of my home and how it maps out when using a wifi frequency scanner.
Message 13 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya having stone, brick or concrete will impact any wifi router. 

I would not recommend placement of the RBR or RBS near the fireplace if possible. 

Seems like this is a distance and placement kind of thing though...

I would try a factory reset and setup from scratch as well. 

Revert back to what was working for you then. 

Message 15 of 20
Browntownnj
Aspirant

Orbi denies the satellite is faulty which is what I’ve said. They also state that if I can reset it and manually load the firmware then that’s all they would do and everything else internally wouldn’t matter. Like I said, the customer service they provide is garage. I had a different setup in a previous home only slightly smaller with two 40’s and spectrum wifi and I had better results all around. Sometimes I feel between the AT&T gateway and the rbs40v my setup is destined to always have issues. Honestly, the only thing I haven’t tried is replacing the 40 with a 50…but I would rather wait till the newer faster systems come down on price and just replace the entire setup.
Message 14 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Well take out the RBS40 and run the 50s only. Move them around more and use 100% on the RBR. See if you can get more coverage with the two 50s with better placement and distances. 

Message 16 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

And turn OFF Daisy Chain on the RBR as well. 

Message 17 of 20
Browntownnj
Aspirant

Dailey chain is off and no, the two 50’s don’t cover the home no matter where I place them.
Message 18 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Try rolling back to privious FW that worked for you then. 

Message 19 of 20
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try rolling back to privious FW that worked for you then. 

What I've been saying all along.   

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7