Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK50 SSID not in list

GamerXYZ
Tutor

Orbi RBK50 SSID not in list

I'm trying to set up the Orbi RBK50 system (so, to be clear: it's new and straight out of the box). The first 2 steps in the quick-start guide went without a hitch: I end up with a blue light. But then step 3: it tells me to connect to the Orbi system, but its SSID (ORBI25, according to the information on the Orbi router) does not show up in the network list (nothing new shows up at all). I've tried all computers, this includes 2 OS (Windows 7 and Windows 10). I've also tried manually connecting by entering the SSID myself, as well as the correct password of course, but nothing.

Obviously the next step was to connect a computer (laptop) with an ethernet cable to the Orbi system (tried the Orbi satellite first, and when that failed I also tried the Orbi router), completing step 3 that way, and hoping it will then properly show up in the network list. I'm seemingly connected through the Orbi system that way, which orbilogin.net also shows as it doesn't come up with the "You are not connected to your Orbi's WiFi network"-message but instead comes with a login window, but I can't login with "admin" as name and "password" as password (without the quotation marks of course), despite the quick-start guide telling me this is the name and password for orbilogin.net.

Hopefully someone can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong: help is very much appreciated.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

Well, if you can reach the login screen but cannot log into the router using the default username/password then something is very wrong.  If done properly, the reset will restore the default login credentials.  You must hold down the reset button for a long time until the power LED starts blinking amber for the reset to be effective.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 9

All Replies
GamerXYZ
Tutor

I have something to add to my post: it's not entirely true that nothing new shows up in my network list, a "hidden network" shows up when the Orbi's connected. However, connecting through it using the Orbi's SSID and password doesn't work. Some research has shown me it's apparantly what the Orbi Router uses to connect with the Orbi Satellite, so at least there's proof it's communicating (but then again, the blue light also does this).

Also, from trying out today, I've found something peculiar: when the Orbi's connected, the digital TV signal becomes absolute rubbish. Artifacts everywhere, sound working only like once a second, etcetera. Disconnected the TV signal to see if maybe the Orbi's SSID doesn't show up due to a conflict, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Message 2 of 9
st_shaw
Master

Try resetting the Orbi units using a paperclip inserted into the reset hole on the back.

Message 3 of 9
GamerXYZ
Tutor

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the reset button didn't solve the problem

Message 4 of 9
st_shaw
Master

Well, if you can reach the login screen but cannot log into the router using the default username/password then something is very wrong.  If done properly, the reset will restore the default login credentials.  You must hold down the reset button for a long time until the power LED starts blinking amber for the reset to be effective.

Message 5 of 9
GamerXYZ
Tutor

Well, as said I can only reach the login screen when connecting directly with an ethernet cable, but not through WiFi since I can't connect to its WiFi signal in the first place. So, not accepting the username and password is very likely part of the problem why the WiFi signal doesn't show up in the network list.

However, it seems I may not have held down the reset button for long enough, so I'll try that tomorrow (due to how late it is here now), hopefully that fixes it.

Message 6 of 9
GamerXYZ
Tutor

Completely forgot to update this topic with how it went: the system is now fully functional, turned out I indeed just needed to hit the reset button until the power button started flashing. Thank you very much, everyone!

Message 7 of 9
s22tran
Aspirant

What is considered holding the reset button down for a long time? Sometimes I hold down the reset button for a second and it starts to blink amber and sometimes I hold it down for what seems like minutes and it doesn't change from green to amber at all. I can't tell when I am resetting it or not, but in either case I have trouble with the SSID not showing up in my network list for like a half hour. Thanks. Is that normal or should the SSID appear almost instantly?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 8 of 9
martyfp
Luminary

You need to press the reset button for a few seconds - until it blinks amber.   If it does not blink then try again, ensuring that you get a good contact with the button (I use a bent paperclip).

When rebooting, it takes maybe a minute or so for the Wifi to come up and stabilize properly before you can connect.   Half an hour sounds excessive.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7