Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK50 Setup with Verizon Fios

ender3424
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50 Setup with Verizon Fios

Just bought a Orbi RBK50 - Router + one Satellite that I am going to setup in a 3000 sq foot house. House had Verizon Fios internet with a rented verizon router on 1st floor and the house has 4 floors.

The normal setup instructions seem to assume connecting to an existing modem, but I don't see much guidance regarding approaches for setup with an ISP's Router or when the Modem is a Modem/Router Combo, so wanted to get thoughts if others have setup with Fios and what they have done.

For setup with the verizon router, I am thinking there are these options:

1) Remove the verizon router, it appears that you can run ethernet directly from the verizon ONT which essentially acts as the modem for a verizon fios setup. One thing with this is that if you have TV boxes which I do it appears you need to then connect the verizon router to a LAN port on your own router, so it can stillget an internet connection because it seems to provide internet out to the TV boxes for things like the TV Guide / Demand (via a coax back to the verizon ONT I think)

2) Leave Verizon Router in line from the ONT, set it to bridge mode, where it won't really function as a router anymore, DHCP / Wifi would be disabled, it would pass the WAN connection to the Orbi which would provide DHCP/Wifi etc. Not quite sure the advantage of this, but it may still allow the verizon router to get internet it needs for the TV setup.

3) Leave Verizon Router in line from the ONT, keep it as a router, connect Orbi to LAN port. This would be a double NAT config, which I am thinking may not be ideal? Could disable wifi on Verizon Router and then just connect wired/wifi devices to Orbi, but then everything would still be flowing through the original Network on the Verizon router.

I'm also wondering what the best placements would be to try of the two Orbi devices on the 4 floors.

There is one in wall ethernet drop run from the 1st floor closet with current verizon ONT + Router up to the 3rd floor. So I was thinking I could put Orbi router in 1st floor, use ethernet backhaul to connect to the satellite which is placed on the 3rd floor, or vice versa.

Other option would be to maybe put router on 3rd floor, and then satelite on 2nd floor via wifi backhaul. Wanted to get thoughts on how much advantage the ethernet backhaul would provide for this, and how stable the ethernet backhaul feature is I see it was added more recently in a firmware update.

Message 1 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Option 1

Sat placement will come with trials.  If possible, place the router as close to the middle of your home/network.

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@ender3424 wrote:

3) Leave Verizon Router in line from the ONT, keep it as a router, connect Orbi to LAN port. This would be a double NAT config, which I am thinking may not be ideal? Could disable wifi on Verizon Router and then just connect wired/wifi devices to Orbi, but then everything would still be flowing through the original Network on the Verizon router.

There is one in wall ethernet drop run from the 1st floor closet with current verizon ONT + Router up to the 3rd floor. So I was thinking I could put Orbi router in 1st floor, use ethernet backhaul to connect to the satellite which is placed on the 3rd floor, or vice versa.

Very good description of the problem.  Item #3 is incomplete.  If the Verizon router stays, putting the Orbi in Access Point (AP) mode will eliminate the "double NAT".

Regarding the single (1) in wall ethernet, which for discussion we assume will handle gigabit speed.  Ordinarily, I recommend placing the Orbi router where the most traffic sensitive devices can be connected to it, preferably using ethernet.  However, with only a single ethernet cable, putting the router on the 3rd floor would "use up" that single cable, leaving the satellite with only 5G WiFi for backhaul.  My choice would be: router on floor 1, satellite on floor 3.

As @Retired_Member says, WiFi placement is tricky.  Ordinarily, "center of the space" is best, unless of course all the devices are on one side with nothing on the other side.  Metal, stone, and brick degrade WiFi signals more than air and drywall.  So, next to an AC duct is a non-starter.  WiFi radios do not perform as well when they are stacked vertically.  Typical omni-directional antennas have a "torroid" radiation pattern, with significant nulls directly above and below.  After experimenting, you may find that the satellite needs to be "offset" horizontally from the router.

Good luck.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

@ender3424 wrote:

Just bought a Orbi RBK50 - Router + one Satellite that I am going to setup in a 3000 sq foot house. House had Verizon Fios internet with a rented verizon router on 1st floor and the house has 4 floors.

The normal setup instructions seem to assume connecting to an existing modem, but I don't see much guidance regarding approaches for setup with an ISP's Router or when the Modem is a Modem/Router Combo, so wanted to get thoughts if others have setup with Fios and what they have done.

For setup with the verizon router, I am thinking there are these options:

1) Remove the verizon router, it appears that you can run ethernet directly from the verizon ONT which essentially acts as the modem for a verizon fios setup. One thing with this is that if you have TV boxes which I do it appears you need to then connect the verizon router to a LAN port on your own router, so it can stillget an internet connection because it seems to provide internet out to the TV boxes for things like the TV Guide / Demand (via a coax back to the verizon ONT I think)

2) Leave Verizon Router in line from the ONT, set it to bridge mode, where it won't really function as a router anymore, DHCP / Wifi would be disabled, it would pass the WAN connection to the Orbi which would provide DHCP/Wifi etc. Not quite sure the advantage of this, but it may still allow the verizon router to get internet it needs for the TV setup.

I'm also wondering what the best placements would be to try of the two Orbi devices on the 4 floors.

Other option would be to maybe put router on 3rd floor, and then satelite on 2nd floor via wifi backhaul. Wanted to get thoughts on how much advantage the ethernet backhaul would provide for this, and how stable the ethernet backhaul feature is I see it was added more recently in a firmware update.

Message 4 of 7
ender3424
Aspirant

Oh so for #3 if the Orbi is put in AP mode, then it would not perform DHCP correct, the verizon router would do that? In that case I should still disable the wireless boardcast from the Verizon Router I assume?

I am thinking more that router on 1 and Sat on 3 with etherent back haul sounds like the way to go, reguarding this, if they are connected via ethernet backhaul, does the Router have a more powerfu Wifi broadcast than the Satellite per say? Or with etherent backhaul are they somewhat similar? Only thing is that most of the devices will be on the 2nd and 3rd, 4th floors, so most would be connecting to the satellite.

If I was to use wireless backhaul, the Router would go on the 3rd floor and probably the Satellite on the 2nd floor, it would be going through drywall, and it sounds like I should off set them a bit so they could be about 25 feet apart I would say but it would be through this 3rd floor ceilng of course.

Thanks I will try different locations

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@ender3424 wrote:

Oh so for #3 if the Orbi is put in AP mode, then it would not perform DHCP correct, the verizon router would do that? In that case I should still disable the wireless boardcast from the Verizon Router I assume? Yes.  When the Orbi is in AP mode, the Verizon router assigns IP addresses to all devices using DHCP (including the Orbi units).  And, the whole purpose of purchasing Orbi is to use Orbi WiFi, so the Verizon WiFi should be turned off.

I am thinking more that router on 1 and Sat on 3 with etherent back haul sounds like the way to go, reguarding this, if they are connected via ethernet backhaul, does the Router have a more powerfu Wifi broadcast than the Satellite per say? Or with etherent backhaul are they somewhat similar? Only thing is that most of the devices will be on the 2nd and 3rd, 4th floors, so most would be connecting to the satellite.The router and satellite radios are identical.  Both the same strength.  With ethernet backhaul, it doesn't matter that most of the devices are connected to the satellite.

If I was to use wireless backhaul, the Router would go on the 3rd floor and probably the Satellite on the 2nd floor, it would be going through drywall, and it sounds like I should off set them a bit so they could be about 25 feet apart I would say but it would be through this 3rd floor ceilng of course. (typo? 2nd floor ceiling = 3rd floor "floor")

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

25 feet maybe too close, see if you can get them out to 30 feet. 

@ender3424 wrote:

Oh so for #3 if the Orbi is put in AP mode, then it would not perform DHCP correct, the verizon router would do that? In that case I should still disable the wireless boardcast from the Verizon Router I assume?

I am thinking more that router on 1 and Sat on 3 with etherent back haul sounds like the way to go, reguarding this, if they are connected via ethernet backhaul, does the Router have a more powerfu Wifi broadcast than the Satellite per say? Or with etherent backhaul are they somewhat similar? Only thing is that most of the devices will be on the 2nd and 3rd, 4th floors, so most would be connecting to the satellite.

If I was to use wireless backhaul, the Router would go on the 3rd floor and probably the Satellite on the 2nd floor, it would be going through drywall, and it sounds like I should off set them a bit so they could be about 25 feet apart I would say but it would be through this 3rd floor ceilng of course.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7