Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK50 Slow WiFi in AP Mode

Hasselblad100
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50 Slow WiFi in AP Mode

Hi

I have seen a similar post on this but would like to confirm before I return the hardware...

I have an RBR50 wired to an ISP Router (Sky in the UK) and 1 RBS50 satellite. The Sky router can't be put into modem mode.

When the RBR50 is in router mode (not desirable because of double NAT), the Orbi delivers the full speed from the master socket all around the house. If I put the router in AP mode then the upload and downoad speeds are useless. The speed drop is confirmed by seeing what the clients receive over wifi and also by cabling the Orbi and ISP routers to a laptop and seeing what is being delivered (or not, in the case of the Orbi)

Any idea if there are config changes required on the RBR50 to make this work...i would have thought it should be straightforward. All firmware is up to date

I can still return the hardware and get a full refund. 

Message 1 of 9
vajim
Master

here's a similar post that may help

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/orbi-RBK50-as-access-point-and-Sky-modem-in-wifi-mode/m-p/1592...

if possible run the Orbi with a straight modem (no wifi)

Message 2 of 9
Hasselblad100
Aspirant

ok, thanks for the response. So that kind of says that Sky Hub and Orbi don't play well together unless you can live with double NAT. Sky has no modem-only mode and its the same problem for BT 

Message 3 of 9
vajim
Master

@Hasselblad100 wrote:

ok, thanks for the response. So that kind of says that Sky Hub and Orbi don't play well together unless you can live with double NAT. Sky has no modem-only mode and its the same problem for BT 

that's too bad

can you use a different brand modem (Non-Sky)?

Message 4 of 9
Hasselblad100
Aspirant

Hi
ISP options are limited where I live, unfortunately no Virgin Media. I can get a 3rd party modem and t try to set that up, Vigor 130 or similar
Message 5 of 9
Mikey94025
Hero

@Hasselblad100 wrote:
Hi
ISP options are limited where I live, unfortunately no Virgin Media. I can get a 3rd party modem and t try to set that up, Vigor 130 or similar

Do you have a use-case where Double NAT doesn't work for you?  It's not recommended  (because there are such use-cases, like some games) but if it works then go for it.  I personally run my household and 50+ IoT devices with Double NAT and it's not a problem for me.

It is strange that running in AP mode is problemmatic for you because your wifi speeds shouldn't be different talking to the Orbi.  But don't let that problem force you to abandon Orbi if Double NAT works well for you.

Message 6 of 9
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@Hasselblad100 wrote:

...So that kind of says that Sky Hub and Orbi don't play well together unless you can live with double NAT. Sky has no modem-only mode and its the same problem for BT 

How was that conclusion reached?

Many of us are stuck with gateways that can't be bridged.  While IP passthrough and/or DMZ+ does work well enough, it seems like too much bother to worry about.  At a technical level, I'd be hard pressed to come up with any reason how an ISP could make a 3rd party router in AP mode operate in a lesser capacity.  

Message 7 of 9
Hasselblad100
Aspirant

Either 1) the WiFi doesn’t work properly in AP mode with Sky or 2) one or more of my units are faulty
Message 8 of 9
Hasselblad100
Aspirant

I have a music streamer that where UPnP discovery can be problematic with double NAT but all okay so far
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7