Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK50 Speeds Drop

srdavis872
Apprentice

Orbi RBK50 Speeds Drop

I recently bought an RBK50 kit with an RBR50 router and RBS50 satellite. Set up was kind of a pain. It's been working for a while with some disappointing performance. Internet service that I get is about 160 Mbps. When I test speed through the Orbi App, the router sees 168 Mbps pretty regularly. But every couple days, speed I get on my wireless devices will only his about 40 Mbps. This is tested on a 16" MacBook Pro, and an iPhone 11 Pro. Only thing I can kind of correlate, is it seems to happen when I take the laptop somewhere else and return. If I leave the laptop home, but still take my phone, it seems fine. Not sure if just coincidence but that's the only logical thing I've come up with so far.

Rebooting the router fixes it for a couple days.

When at home, I sit about 15-20 ft from the router during the day. Same room, just opposite corner.

I've tried messing with different advanced wireless settings. I have set channels to ones that are not used in my vacinity. I have tried implicit beam forming on and off, mu-mimo on and off. Trying to do one thing at a time to see what causes it.

I'm outside of support, and right now my only option is to return it and try another.

Any help is appreciated.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 45
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Orbi RBK50 Speeds Drop

what firmware are you running?

Message 2 of 45
srdavis872
Apprentice

V2.5.1.8

When I check for updates, it says "Firmware is up to date"

Message 3 of 45
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@srdavis872 wrote:

V2.5.1.8

When I check for updates, it says "Firmware is up to date"

trust me...it's bad...do a search....lots of complaints.

recommend reverting back to previous stable FW

how did you get V2.5.1.8??

Message 4 of 45
srdavis872
Apprentice

Just through the app if I remember. I think that's what it updated to when I set it up.

Do you know how I can install a previous firmware version?

Message 5 of 45
srdavis872
Apprentice

And how far back in versions do you recommend I go?

Message 6 of 45
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@srdavis872

Do you know how I can install a previous firmware version?

look for the download area here and enter your model number....

here's your bette choice:  

RBR50 (Orbi Router) Firmware Version 2.3.5.30

then stop looking and perfomring manual updates....NG will push critical updates with no action required by you

@srdavis872

Message 7 of 45
srdavis872
Apprentice

I'll try it out. And I only updated because it was during setup and I think it asked me to. I'll leave it alone otherwise.

Message 8 of 45
srdavis872
Apprentice

So I've been experiencing the same issue. Since firmware downgrade, my best speeds are slightly worse than before (130-ish instead of 160-ish), and I still get the problem where it get's limited to 40-ish Mbps after a couple days.

Also, the iPhone app has been much worse since the downgrade. I have a hard time seeing devices and things just seem a lot slower.

All around it seems like only worse performance and no positive trade offs.
Message 9 of 45
FURRYe38
Guru

Please try a factory reset and setup from scratch with the RBR and RBS. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@srdavis872 wrote:
So I've been experiencing the same issue. Since firmware downgrade, my best speeds are slightly worse than before (130-ish instead of 160-ish), and I still get the problem where it get's limited to 40-ish Mbps after a couple days.

Also, the iPhone app has been much worse since the downgrade. I have a hard time seeing devices and things just seem a lot slower.

All around it seems like only worse performance and no positive trade offs.

Message 10 of 45
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Factory resets are for lost passwords 

post with dozens of questions are wasting your time 

Message 11 of 45
srdavis872
Apprentice

Do you recommend something else?

Message 12 of 45
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@srdavis872 wrote:

did you revert your firmware?

Message 13 of 45
srdavis872
Apprentice

I will try that as a last resort

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? 

Speed from the modem into the router is fine, so I think this is irrelevant. Speed test through the app at the router is 174 Mbps, which is what it should be. But to answer the question, it is a Motorola MB7220. It is not the ISPs modem, it is one I purchased.

1,762 sq ft, but that's over 3 stories (2 plus finished attic). Router is in the attic as that's where my office is. My problems happen even when I'm sitting 10-20 ft from the router with no obstructions, so I think this is irrelevent.

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

It's 2 floors down. I'd guess 40 ft as the crow flys, but through multiple walls. But again, the satellite is not reallly a factor in this. Doesn't matter what is connected to what or how far. Speed is the same.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

I set it to channel 2 for 2.4Ghz and 40 for 5Ghz. When doing a wifi scan, there's 32 other signals it picks up, but I chose channel 2 and 40 because those are not used by any other the other networks. Channel 1, 6 and 11 are all used 3 times already, each.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings
Have tried it, makes no difference.

Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Armor - already off

Circle - don't know what that is

Daisy Chain - already off
Fast roaming - already off

IPv6 - already disabled

20/40 - was on, will try off

Preamble - was set to auto, will try short

Message 14 of 45
srdavis872
Apprentice

@Retired_Member wrote:

@srdavis872 wrote:

Yes, see my post from yesterday. Didn't help anything, but speeds are even slower when the problem happens and app works worse now.

Message 15 of 45
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@srdavis872 wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

@srdavis872 wrote:

Yes, see my post from yesterday. Didn't help anything, but speeds are even slower when the problem happens and app works worse now.

then you have something else going on......many folks run into problems when they try to run 2 routers in the same system.  not sure if that's your case

Message 16 of 45
FURRYe38
Guru

@srdavis872 wrote:

I will try that as a last resort

Speed from the modem into the router is fine, so I think this is irrelevant. Speed test through the app at the router is 174 Mbps, which is what it should be. But to answer the question, it is a Motorola MB7220. It is not the ISPs modem, it is one I purchased.

Reason for asking about he modem to check for a wifi and router here. Your fine nere. 

1,762 sq ft, but that's over 3 stories (2 plus finished attic). Router is in the attic as that's where my office is. My problems happen even when I'm sitting 10-20 ft from the router with no obstructions, so I think this is irrelevent.

Reason for asking is to ensure good placement and distance between the RBR and RBS. Havin them too close could also cause problems which some are not aware of.

It's 2 floors down. I'd guess 40 ft as the crow flys, but through multiple walls. But again, the satellite is not reallly a factor in this. Doesn't matter what is connected to what or how far. Speed is the same.

I set it to channel 2 for 2.4Ghz and 40 for 5Ghz. When doing a wifi scan, there's 32 other signals it picks up, but I chose channel 2 and 40 because those are not used by any other the other networks. Channel 1, 6 and 11 are all used 3 times already, each.

Channel 2 isn't a primary channel and use by the wifi system. One of the other 3 channels are primary and should be used. You maybe in a wifi congested area which can cause wifi problems on any version of FW. One thing you can try is to reduce the power output of the wifi radios on the RBR when you in a congested wifi environment. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings, Try using one of the other primary channels when you change the power output. 

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/802-eleventy-what-a-deep-dive-into-why-wi-fi-...

Beamforming should be enabled for the most part. 

Armor - already off

Circle - don't know what that is

Daisy Chain - already off
Fast roaming - already off

IPv6 - already disabled

20/40 - was on, will try off

Preamble - was set to auto, will try short

Message 17 of 45
srdavis872
Apprentice

@Retired_Member wrote:

@srdavis872 wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

@srdavis872 wrote:

then you have something else going on......many folks run into problems when they try to run 2 routers in the same system.  not sure if that's your case

It is not, it's my only router.

Message 18 of 45
srdavis872
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@srdavis872 wrote:

Channel 2 isn't a primary channel and use by the wifi system. One of the other 3 channels are primary and should be used. You maybe in a wifi congested area which can cause wifi problems on any version of FW. One thing you can try is to reduce the power output of the wifi radios on the RBR when you in a congested wifi environment. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings, Try using one of the other primary channels when you change the power outpuit. 

I'll switch it to 6. My wifi diagnostics tool says that's the best one to use based on it's scan, I was trying to avoid using already used channels and it was an option in the router. But both of the devices I check speed with regularly are on the 5Ghz frequency anyways.

Beamforming should be enabled for the most part.

It is enabled now. I've tried both for a while but have left it on for a few days now.

Message 19 of 45
Retired_Member
Not applicable

manual wifi channel selection is a waste of time.  your neighbors are doing the same

Message 20 of 45
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 21 of 45
Retired_Member
Not applicable

turning power down is another waste of time

Message 22 of 45
srdavis872
Apprentice

@Retired_Member wrote:

What else do you suggest then? You've shot down everything FURRYe38 has recommended, but haven't suggested anything else beside "soemthing else is going on". Do I just throw in the towel on Orbi and switch to something else? 

Message 23 of 45
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@srdavis872 wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

What else do you suggest then? You've shot down everything FURRYe38 has recommended, but haven't suggested anything else beside "soemthing else is going on". Do I just throw in the towel on Orbi and switch to something else? 

i don't shoot down anyones 'suggestions', merely point out those that are copy/paste waste of time.

have you ever provided your modem?  when did you problems start?  how long have you had the orbi?   The app has known issues.  Speed can mean different things to different people.  

one final thought...you mentioned 3 floors....router in basement???   IF possible get the modem/orbi to the 2nd floor 

Message 24 of 45
srdavis872
Apprentice

@Retired_Member wrote:

@srdavis872 wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

i don't shoot down anyones 'suggestions', merely point out those that are copy/paste waste of time.

have you ever provided your modem?  when did you problems start?  how long have you had the orbi?   The app has known issues.  Speed can mean different things to different people.  

Yes, please read through the posts responding to FURRYe38, the answers to the "time wasting questions" answer the model question.

I've had it about 2 months. And most of the time I've had it I've been noticing these issues, but more so now that I'm working from home full time. I replaced a 6-7 year old Apple Time Capsule because I had a dead spot in one of the spots I want to use internet the most. The setup of the Orbi went extremely rocky, had to redo it a time or two and so far haven't been very impressed with it.

"Speed" to me means "speed". I pay for 150Mbps service, if I only measure 40Mbps, there's a problem. If my video calls get choppy, there's a problem. 

Message 25 of 45
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 44 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7