Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK50 VPN Apple Amazon Issue

j66
Aspirant
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50 VPN Apple Amazon Issue

I have a question about our Orbi RBK50 and unable to find an answer in the community.

We recently switched ISP companies.  Previously, Orbi worked great.  No issues.  All connectivity fine.

ISSUE

With the new ISP, connected Orbi to their router and the following errors immediately occured with devices connected via wifi to the Orbi.

All Apple products (iPhone and iPad) no longer download from the Apple Store (shows an app needs an update, click on update, and it bounces back to home screen with an error that we aren't connected to the internet)

Amazon Prime on any device (smart tv, phone, Alexa) no longer plays.  Receive an error that it either "timed out" or aren't connected to the internet.

VPN (third party) installed on above Apple products will connect occasionally (sometimes quickly as before, sometimes times out and says that server stopped responding).

When connecting to the wifi with the new ISP (and bypassing my Orbi connection) all of the above work normally (and like they did with my previous ISP).

FIX

Technician for new ISP is unable to fix and has not heard of this issue before.

I factory reset our Orbi (and satellite) and this fixed the problem completely, until we had power loss from a storm.  When it came back up, same problem.  However, this time the factory reset of Orbi did not correct the issue.

I appreciate any help.  At a loss here.

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK50 VPN Apple Amazon Issue

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

If the Orbi is connected to a router in front of it, then you'll be in a double NAT condition, This is not recommended and will cause connection problems. 

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@j66 wrote:

I have a question about our Orbi RBK50 and unable to find an answer in the community.

We recently switched ISP companies.  Previously, Orbi worked great.  No issues.  All connectivity fine.

ISSUE

With the new ISP, connected Orbi to their router and the following errors immediately occured with devices connected via wifi to the Orbi.

All Apple products (iPhone and iPad) no longer download from the Apple Store (shows an app needs an update, click on update, and it bounces back to home screen with an error that we aren't connected to the internet)

Amazon Prime on any device (smart tv, phone, Alexa) no longer plays.  Receive an error that it either "timed out" or aren't connected to the internet.

VPN (third party) installed on above Apple products will connect occasionally (sometimes quickly as before, sometimes times out and says that server stopped responding).

When connecting to the wifi with the new ISP (and bypassing my Orbi connection) all of the above work normally (and like they did with my previous ISP).

FIX

I factory reset our Orbi (and satellite) and this fixed the problem completely, until we had power loss from a storm.  When it came back up, same problem.  However, this time the factory reset of Orbi did not correct the issue.

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@j66 wrote:

ISSUE

FIX

Message 3 of 5
j66
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for this very detailed response.  

The firmware on my Orbi is/was current:  2.2.1.210

The ISP Router was a Zhone, model 6718-W1-NA-0GW, XDSL 4 port wifi

The transparent bridge mode did not correct the issue.  I disable the wifi on the ISP router and set it to bridge mode.  Still same problems below with devices.

However, as I was preparing to skip to option #3 below, I logged in to Orbilogin (which I had not done before) and it immediately gave me a warning banner that the Orbi IP was set to default 10.0.0.1 in order to avoid conflict.

Prior to setting it as an AP, I checked the devices to see if this corrected any of the problems.  It did.  All worked fine now.

I'm not sure why the Orbi was not at the default IP as I never changed it and when the ISP was doing the installation of their router, they did not access the Orbi.  However, it works!

Thanks again.  My recommendation for anyone reading this community support would be to login to orbilogin.com to ensure that the default IP is set and you do not receive a warning banner.  It might clear up the issue quickly.

I then went through 

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

If your ISP Modem has a built in router, it's probably using same IP address as NG routers do, 192.168.1.1. Thus NG will detect this and change to the 10 IP address string. 

You can use the 10 IP address string on the Orbi, you can even set a different IP address string before you connect it to the ISP modem, you can use something like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.2.1. 

You could change the ISP modems IP address string from .1.1 to 192.168.67.1 then the NG router will use 192.168.1.1. 

Sounds like it's working now and might leave it and enjoy it. 

@j66 wrote:

Thank you for this very detailed response.  

The firmware on my Orbi is/was current:  2.2.1.210

The ISP Router was a Zhone, model 6718-W1-NA-0GW, XDSL 4 port wifi

The transparent bridge mode did not correct the issue.  I disable the wifi on the ISP router and set it to bridge mode.  Still same problems below with devices.

However, as I was preparing to skip to option #3 below, I logged in to Orbilogin (which I had not done before) and it immediately gave me a warning banner that the Orbi IP was set to default 10.0.0.1 in order to avoid conflict.

Prior to setting it as an AP, I checked the devices to see if this corrected any of the problems.  It did.  All worked fine now.

I'm not sure why the Orbi was not at the default IP as I never changed it and when the ISP was doing the installation of their router, they did not access the Orbi.  However, it works!

Thanks again.  My recommendation for anyone reading this community support would be to login to orbilogin.com to ensure that the default IP is set and you do not receive a warning banner.  It might clear up the issue quickly.

I then went through 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7