Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK50 WiFi going offline

lawnmowerman
Guide

Orbi RBK50 WiFi going offline

My Orbi RBK50 wifi connection is constantly going offline, while wired connection stays active. So all my wireless devices suddenly go offline. The only way to fix has been to reboot the router. I have done this several times already and not sure what's going on.

This is the first time I've seen this issue in a couple of months since I started using this router.

I am on firmware v2.5.1.8, since that's the last version that supports Disney Circle.

Anybody else having this issue and have any suggestions to fix it?

Thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
theoak
Luminary

Can you narrow down if the issue started when you upgraded to 2.5.1.8?

There is the standard, reset your satellites and router and reconfigure.

You can also try downgrading to 2.3.5.30 to see if stability returns.

Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@lawnmowerman wrote:

My Orbi RBK50 wifi connection is constantly going offline, while wired connection stays active. So all my wireless devices suddenly go offline. The only way to fix has been to reboot the router. I have done this several times already and not sure what's going on.

This is the first time I've seen this issue in a couple of months since I started using this router.

I am on firmware v2.5.1.8, since that's the last version that supports Disney Circle.

Thanks

Message 3 of 11
lawnmowerman
Guide

I have been on v2.5.1.8 for over a month, so it did not start with that. 

It's not an issue with the Router-Satellite connection, it's all devices losing WiFi suddenly and only a reboot fixes it. This started happening today. Meanwhile, all the wired connections work fine while the wifi is offline.

Is v2.3.5.30 the last stable version for this router and does Circle work with it?

Thanks

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update? You might try this first. Don't enable Circle just yet. See if anything changes. If it's better, then enable Circle. Others have need bad behavior with Circle.

Please give feedback to the other questions as well. 

Message 5 of 11
lawnmowerman
Guide

The distance between the router and the satellite is less than 30-feet since the day I installed it. All other settings are default, and it's been working fine for a few months. Why would the wifi start suddenly stop working when nothing else was changed?

@FURRYe38 wrote:

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@lawnmowerman wrote:

Thanks

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@lawnmowerman wrote:

Thanks

Message 6 of 11
lawnmowerman
Guide

Yes, the factory reset and setup was done after I first updated the firmware to v2.5.1.8. I haven't changed anything since then and everything was working fine.

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet is too close, it may work for a while, however if something changed then it may stop. Try moving the RBS out to 30 feet or beyond. Having them too close causes too much wifi signal over lap. Noisey signals impact each other. Also try some of the other suggestions. 

Message 8 of 11
Orbi-User
Aspirant

Having the same issue now for a couple of weeks. I just did a hard reset and circle still blocks all internet traffic.

Message 9 of 11
lawnmowerman
Guide

I disabled Circle and the WiFi has been okay the past couple of days. Would still like to use Circle since I am able to restrict device time for the kids, especially now since they are home all day. Don't want them online at all hours of the day. 

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Try setting up IP address reservations for the devices that are being managed by Circle. Then setup Circle and see if the problem re-appears. Others have posted having problems with Circle. 

For continued help, support and information about Circle, please post in the Circle forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/bd-p/en-home-circle

Good Luck. 

@lawnmowerman wrote:

I disabled Circle and the WiFi has been okay the past couple of days. Would still like to use Circle since I am able to restrict device time for the kids, especially now since they are home all day. Don't want them online at all hours of the day. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7