Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK50 Wireless Stops

mark0824
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50 Wireless Stops

Similar issues as many it appears. I have had my RBK50 with one satellite for almost 2 years (3k sq ft house with 900sq ft basement). Almost no issues. I added a wall unit to get some better coverage upstairs for upstairs, 3 floors, including basement, router is in basement office with cable modem, 1st floor has a satellite and 2ndfloor has the wall plugin. Well, same thing as OP started, once a day wireless slows to a crawl later in the day (desktop is wired with zero issues so it cannot be a modem issue) then stops even though the satellites are green. Router then says offline, my 2 cameras go down (Logicircle 2 been connected for over 8 months+ no issues) and can only get it working with a reboot. 

I buy a new one RBK50 and setup on Sunday. Set it up with the router in basement, satellite on 1st floor, wall unit plugged in on 2nd and the original satellite on the 2nd in a back bedroom.. All appears good then on Tuesday, it goes down. Reset and it goes down again yesterday. I then update firmware, and remove 2 satellites using the one that came with the new unit. I am on comcast and have a Netgear CM600 with 150mb speed.  I setup one at a time. It is in Star Pattern but I think I have also tried daisy chain and that did not help. IPV6 was off and I just put it on last night. I do not have set channels for 2.4 or 5 just using auto for now. I do have neighbsors that are 100 feet away but I can see their networks. 

I have not added any device except the wall plugin so maybe that was the cupirt but I did unplug that yesterday before it froze agian and stopped working. Maybe it a problem with the older satellite or having more than 1 sateliite? I have that unplugged now. It makes no sense to be honest. I really need tow satellites and if I cannt get thos working, its if to eero for me.

Help is appreciated.

Thanks 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK50 Wireless Stops

What FW is currently loaded?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials. I use just the base router and just 1 satellite in a 5000sq ft home. 40 feet in between the base and satellite. No issues.

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Set up IP address reservations for each satellite and devices on the router as you add them to the router.

So you replaced the older RBK50 system with the newer system?

Message 2 of 11
mark0824
Aspirant

Firmware is the latest (downloaded yesterda)y but also happened on the prrvious version. With the rotuer in the basement the signal is too weak on the upper levels of the house.

The question is what would cause a thw Orbi to slow down, then stop and require a reboot in order to work again after almost 2 years of zero issues? The only device added to the network is a Orbi Plug In satellite. I bought a new RBK50 on Sunday and still have the same problems. All settings where the same as before the problem. No new local netowrks from neighbors who are 100ft plus away. I have since removed the extra satelleis and only have the new unit with the satellite it came with it. I will know later today  if the problem has been solved if wireless does not crap out. If it does, then the question is, why is this happening on two seperate units?

Thanks

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the channels and remove the plug in satellite.

I recommend moving the base router from the basement to at least the main floor. Basements are not good for wifi sources.

These units are not being used at the same time are they? Just one system at a time?

Message 4 of 11
mark0824
Aspirant

Cable comes in at the basment level, my office and deskltop is there and I can not run a hardline. Every other device is wireless. I have had good signal stength since I bought he Orbi in 2016. The original RBK50 is unplugged. All of the routers setings are the same as they have always been in the past. No changes since I have owned the router. The new one is using the same settings and it had issues. I did change to IPV6 but that was after the wireless stopping on the new router. 

All satellites unplugged except 1 so I will see what happens later today. 

Thanks

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, let us know how it goes. Definately set manual channels as well.

Message 6 of 11
mark0824
Aspirant

Did not switch any channels yet. No drop in wirless yesterday with only one Satellite. Going to see how today goes and if it goes well then I will add a 2nd satellite back upstairs. If at that point it stops, then there is your issue. I will then change the channel and see if that works.

Message 7 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@mark0824 wrote:

I will then change the channel and see if that works.

Do you know why people change wifi channels?

Message 8 of 11
mark0824
Aspirant

To avoid interfence. 

Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Please try setting a manual channel and let us know...

Message 10 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@mark0824 wrote:

To avoid interfence. 

OK...and I believe the Orbi like most routers have a auto channel select.  Chasing a channel works fine for maybe a day or so or until your neighbor does the same thing.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7