Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK50 & Email problems

DoSman
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50 & Email problems

Hello

I'm having some issues with my Orbi Router (I think). This is my scenario. I have changed IPS's due to getting a great deal. Previously I was with Vodafone, now with another provider. My previous setup was a Vodafone modem/router that connected to the Fibre & the Orbi router did the Wifi & extenders, via Bridge. Since I have changed to a new provider I am now setup with the Orbi Router connecting to the Fibre Box & doing the Wifi & Ethernet around the house. No issues with internet whatsoever.

My computers connect via ethernet to the orbi & my iphone connect via Wifi. My email on both PC's are using Outlook & Mail App on the iphone. All email works, Gmail, iCloud, my wifes email (Also outlook).

My issue.

My PC's that check my work email will work just fine for a couple of days sending/receiving, then all of a sudden they will stop send/receive. It's only my work email that does this. The only way I can get it to work again is by logging in to the Orbit, going to Advanced>Internet & changing the IP address. It will work for a day or two & then happen again. I've spoken to my Email provider for work & they have not made any changes, nor is the IP being blocked etc. I have tried various email settings in Outlook but nothing works except for changing the IP each day.

I'm unsure if its the Orbi or the ISP, but as everything else works I'm leaning toward either the Orbi or the Email Hosting company. Unfortunately the email hosing company seem to have done all they can.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to a fix, or a way of changing the IP automatically as a work around?

Thanks

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
DoSman
Aspirant

Thanks for all the help. I’m back to this setup.

ISP modem with ORBI connected via a cable + one satellite. The ISP modem doing the internet and the Orbi doing the wifi, connected via a bridge setup. All going well, no issues with email anymore, so this has resolved everything. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 14

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@DoSman wrote:

The only way I can get it to work again is by logging in to the Orbit, going to Advanced>Internet & changing the IP address. It will work for a day or two & then happen again.

Most ISPs do not allow the customer to choose the IP address assigned to the router.  I am surprised that you an do this.

Does work require using a VPN for access?

Message 2 of 14
DoSman
Aspirant

Hi
Thanks for the reply. I’m basically just turning the router off an on and it creates a new IP.
No VPN just an email that’s hosted with my mail hosting provider.
Thanks
Message 3 of 14
Jeffgear
Luminary

It sounds like your corporate email service is blocking your source IP address, maybe the ISP's IP range you've been allocated from has a poor reputation score. Another possible cause is you're running a personal VPN on your corporate device or router for streaming TV from different regions and your email client session is effectively appearing to originate from whatever region you have chosen and this offshore source IP address is being seen by an IT person who is then blocking it because its seen as a suspicious connection or its in breach of your corp policy.  Ask your IT dept to confirm if they are blocking your source IP.

Message 4 of 14
DoSman
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I am the IT department 🙂

When I say work email, its my personal work email, hosted by a mail hosting company. No not on a VPN either. I've now changed the setup. Now using the ISP's modem (But not the wifi) & have bridged the Orbi Router to extend the network. Will monitor this & see if this resolves the issue. So far no issues but sometimes it takes two days to disconnect.

Thanks for the reply's very much appreciated.

Message 5 of 14
Jeffgear
Luminary

Quirky issue!

If it was a modem, bridge, wifi type issue then you'd think there would be wider issues re Internet connectivity and not just limited to email. Network layer issues would impact browsing, apps etc.

To be limited to just email its sounding like an issue with your laptop. Are you using an email app like Outlook or the one built into Mac, or using the web browser for accessing your email account?

Message 6 of 14
DoSman
Aspirant

Hi

I'm using Outlook on two PC's via an ethernet cable, both stop working. I'm also using Outlook on the Macbook which also stopped workjng. I'm also using Mail on the IPhone which did work. I've tried numerous settings advised by the email provider in Outlook on the PC's and Phone. 

When I turn the Orbi off/on everything works again, for 24-48 hours. Still working at this point since turning of yesterday. This is with the new configuration thought of Modem + Orbi at bridge.

Thanks

Message 7 of 14
Jeffgear
Luminary

So when the email stops working, does it stop simultaneously across all devices or not? Also when it's not working on one or more devices, are you still able to browse the internet and run other apps that connect to cloud/internet services?

Out of interest what DNS have you got set in your router and have you tried using Google's 8.8.8.8 to see if that helps? Otherwise its sounding like an odd port forwarding issue with the port used by SSNMP/SNMP.

Message 8 of 14
DoSman
Aspirant

Hi, yes it stops working across all devices, both PC's & IPhone. Yes am still able to browse the web, use Gmail, iCloud email.

I've tried changing the DNS settings to googles, this worked overnight & then again the problem occurred. I then changed it back to the ISP DNS & resolved for 24 hours. 

Thanks

Message 9 of 14
Mikey94025
Hero

@DoSman wrote:

Hi, yes it stops working across all devices, both PC's & IPhone. Yes am still able to browse the web, use Gmail, iCloud email.

I've tried changing the DNS settings to googles, this worked overnight & then again the problem occurred. I then changed it back to the ISP DNS & resolved for 24 hours. 

I think we've run out of things to guess that might be wrong and need some sort error log detail from your email program to hint at what might be wrong.  I've not done this before but found these instructions to enable Outlook logging, try and see if this works for you: https://www.lifewire.com/troubleshoot-with-transaction-logging-1173721

Message 10 of 14
DoSman
Aspirant

Thanks for all your help. Morning two and still going. I suspect it was something to do with the Orbi, just don't know what unfortunately. Im still on the ISP Modem (Not using wifi) only hard cabled in + the Orbi as the Wifi bridge & email is still working. Won't say for sure yet, but things are looking positive.

Message 11 of 14
DoSman
Aspirant

Thanks for all the help. I’m back to this setup.

ISP modem with ORBI connected via a cable + one satellite. The ISP modem doing the internet and the Orbi doing the wifi, connected via a bridge setup. All going well, no issues with email anymore, so this has resolved everything. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
Message 12 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What Orbi model do you have? 

Message 13 of 14
DoSman
Aspirant

It’s an RBR50.

Thanks
Message 14 of 14