Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK50 and 1 Mpbs signal

Mettaman
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50 and 1 Mpbs signal

Next week I'm going to be connected to fiber optic Internet service delivering 30 Mbps. That's "high speed" for where I live in New Mexico. I'm currently connected to Century Link via a telephone modem operating at 1 Mbps. In preparation for the new service I purchased the Orbi RBK50, connected it to the Century Link modem and configured the Orbi router and 1 satellite. Using the Orbi configuration I conducted a speed test and got what I expected, 1Mbps download. I moved to another part of my ranch home and got no signal at all. So, my question is, does Orbi work with a 1 Mbps signal? Thanks! 

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK50 and 1 Mpbs signal

What is the current Mfr and Model# of the ISP modem? Built in router by chance? 

Any router should work with 1Mb ISP speeds, however that is really low by todays standards. Could be manythings happening and due to the slow ISP speed, could be a bottle neck at between the modem and router as data requests are waiting to be processed. 

If your getting speeds at one location, then use this location.

Recommend using a modem only with out a built in router if possible however some ISPs may required a modem/router combo. 

@Mettamanwrote:

Next week I'm going to be connected to fiber optic Internet service delivering 30 Mbps. That's "high speed" for where I live in New Mexico. I'm currently connected to Century Link via a telephone modem operating at 1 Mbps. In preparation for the new service I purchased the Orbi RBK50, connected it to the Century Link modem and configured the Orbi router and 1 satellite. Using the Orbi configuration I conducted a speed test and got what I expected, 1Mbps download. I moved to another part of my ranch home and got no signal at all. So, my question is, does Orbi work with a 1 Mbps signal? Thanks! 

Message 2 of 4
Mettaman
Aspirant

It's a PK5001Z. Since my initial post I went into the modem settings and disabled the wi-fi. The speed tests haven't changed. In the morning I'll see if the Orbi signal coverage expanded. Thanks for the tip.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, thats a modem/router combo. It's recommended to either bridge the modem or if it can't be, use it's DMZ for the Orbi routers IP address it gets from the modem. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7