Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK50 - are newer satellites compatible?

RalphSparkle
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50 - are newer satellites compatible?

I have the Orbi RBK50 model and would like to buy another satellite (which I think are called RBS50).  They are hard to find at the moment.  Are later satellite models compatible?

Message 1 of 6
vajim
Master

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@RalphSparkle wrote:

I have the Orbi RBK50 model and would like to buy another satellite (which I think are called RBS50).  They are hard to find at the moment.  Are later satellite models compatible?

I agree that the RBS50 is getting hard to find (and expensive if you do).  My "Best Buy" right now is the RBS40V which Amazon has been selling for $100. It includes a speaker for music (and Alexa), but that feature can be ignored if you want.

Any of the original Orbi satellites will function with the RBR50 router: RBS50, RBS40, RBS20, RBW30, RBS40V, but NOT any of the "Pro" or "AX" satellites or the RBS10 model.

Message 3 of 6
RalphSparkle
Aspirant

Perhaps a silly question - can the router act as a satellite too?

(it's cheaper to buy a router and a satellite than just a satellite!)

Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@RalphSparkle wrote:

Perhaps a silly question - can the router act as a satellite too?

(it's cheaper to buy a router and a satellite than just a satellite!)

Alas, no. Other companies designed their mesh systems to be identical, where any of them could be used either as the router or as a satellite. Netgear Orbi was not designed that way.  I believe there is a "hack" on the internet that will convert a router into a satellite.  I have never tried it.  But, if the router is essentially "free", who cares if it gets bricked?

I have a second Orbi router that I bought off eBay to experiment with and to use as a spare.  Purchased in 2016, my original Orbi is LONG out of warranty.

Message 5 of 6
jpmoynihan
Aspirant

I too am struggling to find RBS50 (in the UK)

I'm disappointed Netgear aren't giving me a simple upgrade patch on a product that's only 3 years old

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7