Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK50 as a OpenVPN client

_DamN_
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50 as a OpenVPN client

My previous setup was: Nighthawk R7000 with customized firmware loaded onto it and acting like a VPN client (OpenVPN). Due to the fact that we moved, I had to replace existing setup (not enough coverage) with RBR50 to get a coverage I needed. During the integration process I got stuck with the setup where VPN is required and from what I read, I think the setup I need is unfortunately not supported. My requirement is: RBR50 acting as a OpenVPN client  connecting to remote location. The only settings I was able to find on my firmware was a VPN server which would allow clients to connect to my RBR50. That's not what I need ... Can somebody please help with this ?

Thanks !

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK50 as a OpenVPN client

@_DamN_ wrote:

My previous setup was: Nighthawk R7000 with customized firmware loaded onto it and acting like a VPN client (OpenVPN). Due to the fact that we moved, I had to replace existing setup (not enough coverage) with RBR50 to get a coverage I needed. During the integration process I got stuck with the setup where VPN is required and from what I read, I think the setup I need is unfortunately not supported. My requirement is: RBR50 acting as a OpenVPN client  connecting to remote location. The only settings I was able to find on my firmware was a VPN server which would allow clients to connect to my RBR50. That's not what I need ... Can somebody please help with this ?

You are correct.  Netgear's firmware for the Orbi (as with the Nighthawk) supports only OpenVPN server for the purpose of reaching the Orbi LAN from outside. There happens to be third party firmware for the Orbi RBR50 that provides OpenVPN Client and also Wireguard.

http://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/html/orbi.html 

The latest series of posts about this firmware is here:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-rbk50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-2-8... 

If you download the most recent version, there is a "ReadMe" file that explains things about it.

So, it seems to me that there are two choices:

• Stay with Netgear-provided firmware and user VPN Client software on the devices which (a) have OpenVPN client software available, and which require use of a VPN.  This leaves out "Internet of Things" devices (smart plugs, light bulbs, irrigation controllers, garage door openers, etc. etc.)
  • Load up Voxel's firmware on the Orbi and run everything across the VPN.  If it turns out that Voxel's firmware is "not for you", then the Netgear firmware can be reinstalled on the router.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 5
_DamN_
Aspirant

Thank you but no, this is not what my set up is about. I plan on using different openvpn server so my orbi will be acting as a client. Article which you sent describes issues with connecting TO orbi openvpn server.
Looks like w/o changing the firmware this is almost mission impossible ...

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@_DamN_ wrote:

You are correct.  Netgear's firmware for the Orbi (as with the Nighthawk) supports only OpenVPN server for the purpose of reaching the Orbi LAN from outside. There happens to be third party firmware for the Orbi RBR50 that provides OpenVPN Client and also Wireguard.

http://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/html/orbi.html 

The latest series of posts about this firmware is here:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-rbk50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-2-8... 

If you download the most recent version, there is a "ReadMe" file that explains things about it.

So, it seems to me that there are two choices:

• Stay with Netgear-provided firmware and user VPN Client software on the devices which (a) have OpenVPN client software available, and which require use of a VPN.  This leaves out "Internet of Things" devices (smart plugs, light bulbs, irrigation controllers, garage door openers, etc. etc.)
  • Load up Voxel's firmware on the Orbi and run everything across the VPN.  If it turns out that Voxel's firmware is "not for you", then the Netgear firmware can be reinstalled on the router.
Message 4 of 5
_DamN_
Aspirant

Thanks !

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements