Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK50 bridged to FIOS Quantum cannot see my NAS wired LAN

Villy
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50 bridged to FIOS Quantum cannot see my NAS wired LAN

Just set up today the RBR50 router and RBS50 satellite, the router is connected via cable to FIOS Quantum router, followed the instruction by disabling FIOS' wifi, and all works great. Well, the wifi works great - I get 600+ mbps on the satellite which is set 40' away from the router - but I cannot see my NAS and other devices on the wired LAN from devices connected to the Orbi. 

Before posting I searched for similar experiences and potential solution, but I couldn't find anything. Looked thru the router's advanced settings and was not able to identify any such that might help me resolve this. So to recoup - the Orbi router is connected via network cable to the FIOS Quantum router, the wifi on the FIOS router is disabled, all my other devies remained connected directly to the FIOS.

My expectation was that I will be able to see my network components thru Orbi exactly as I was seeing thru FIOS Quantum before attaching the Orbi. Can anyone help me with solving this, seeing what I am missing/misunderstanding here?

That you

Villy

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Where is the NAS connected? To the FIOS router or the Orbi? 

NAS and all other devices should be connected to the Orbi router.

Is the Orbi running in router or AP mode? 

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Where is the NAS connected? To the FIOS router or the Orbi? 

NAS and all other devices should be connected to the Orbi router.

Is the Orbi running in router or AP mode? 

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 2 of 8
Onelove123
Aspirant

I have the Orbi RBK53 kit (RBR50 router and 2x RBS50 satelites) and replaced the Fios Gateway with the Orbi router.  First I disabled the wifi (2.4G and 5G) that came with the Fios Gateway.  Then I disconnected the ethernet from Fios Gateway and plugged directly to the Orbi router.  Then unplugged the coax wire from Fios Gateway and connect directly to the TV cable box.  Now I have a seemless Fios Gigabit setup with my Orbi RBK53 system.  I saw a few devices connected to a satelite that is ~60 feet away with 1 bar so I had to reset the wifi on those devices (nest, wifi cameras, lights) to start a new connection to the closest router/satelite to get full bar connection. 

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 3 of 8
tsig
Luminary

If you are still using the Fios router, you need to run the Orbi in AP mode.

Message 4 of 8
Villy
Aspirant

Thank you all for quickly replying to my plea for help!

I will try as suggested to directly connect Orbi to the ethernet cable coming out of the FIOS splitter box while bypassing the FIOS router and report back (I have always been under the impression that FIOS’ routers cannot be replaced by third-party ones because Verizon integrated some nifty tricks in them to prevent you from doing that, will see how that goes).

On unhooking my other devices from the FIOS router and hooking them directly to the Orbi – yes this will work I am certain, I just don’t understand the need to create one more node to jump for those devices. The way I see it, Orbi being already hooked to the FIOS router should be able to see all other hard-wired devices on the network the same way any computer connected in its place sees them – this is what I don’t get, why Orbi does not see the LAN the way my laptop does when hooked in its place by the same cable? Is it Orbi setting that I have to change for this to happen, or Orbi has simply not been designed to behave in such a way and so my expectations in this regard are not realistic.

I’ll try either approach and see which works better for my home setup...but...I just cannot get over the fact that the Orbi doesn’t see my network – Why? Why? How hard is that? Why my 7 year-old laptop can and Orbi can’t? It just makes no sense to me.

Thx again, will post back with my experience…

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume you need to connect the orbi directly to the FIOS router, not the splitter box. The FIOS router has to do some forum of translation from the ISP services, thus this is your ISP modem/ONT which is needed.

Reason for not seeing FIOS network is probably due to different subnets which is normal having two routers on the same line.

Use of the FIOS routers DMZ will be most helpful for your Orbi router in this case.

Message 6 of 8
Villy
Aspirant

Thank you all once again, with your suggestions I was able to solve my problem.

Yes, the solution was to set the Orbi as an access point rather than router, my problem was that I (not being much network-educated) didn't understand the basics, and it seems everyone assume the basics are understood. Well, this shouldn't really be the case, most people by far have no understanding whatsoever of home networking, not even the basics.

And so I want to state the basic knowledge I lacked, with the hope that this will serve well someone having similar problem and stumbling upon the thread.

The basics (the way I understand them now), just my 2¢.

Router’s main functions are: 1) provide access to internet, and 2) establish local network by assigning IP addresses within the network of devices attached to it.

Additionally, a router can function as a router, or as access point only. Function #2 noted above is only enabled when the router performs as such – when it performs as access point (AP) it cannot form local network.

On connecting one router to another (as in my case Orbi piggy-backing on the FIOS): the first (R1) in the chain always function as a router, and the second (R2) can function as a router or as an access point only.

If the setup requires that R2 functions as a router, then all devices that must be present on the network should be attached to it in which case R2 will assign local IP addresses as needed. This is not very sensible solution imho, because we are only adding more doors to go thru for the devices before reaching the internet.

Setting R2 as access point only, means R2 gets assigned itself local IP address and thus becoming part of the local network established by R1. This in the case of FIOS seems to be the only solution, and works just fine for me.

Hope that helps someone in situation similar to mine, and with knowledge as limited as mine when In started doing this yesterday. It is simple indeed, but nonetheless it needs explanation if you are not on the inside. I wish the manuals would give a brief overview of this so users have some understanding on how local network is formed.

Regards

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working, Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos