Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK50 constantly dropping internet

newhall523
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50 constantly dropping internet

Hello all, hoping I can get some help.  I work from home, so depend on reliable internet connectivity.

I bought this almost a year ago, but installed/set it up about 8 months ago.  During that time, no major issues.  Sporadic disconnection from internet for a minute or so, but always reconnected (annoying, but not a big enough deal to create a post here).  This would happen a few times a month.  Updated firmware a few times as updates became available.  After one update a few months ago, all the personal settings got wiped and I had to do personal settings all over again.  Annoying, but after doing that, it worked like it had been over the prior months.

Now:  Until last night, it was working as it had over the past 8ish months. I was streaming hbo until about 11pm, no problems.  This morning, i woke up about 6:30ish and the magenta ring was lit.  I unplugged and re-plugged and it did not reconnect.  I turned off everything (cable modem, orbi) for a couple minutes.  Powered up modem and let it cycle, then orbi, and internet was back on.  Yay!  then, less than 10 minutes later, internet connection dropped.  Modem still showed internet connection.  I've repeated this process/cycle about 10 times today, all with the same result: connects for 5-10 minutes, then drops internet.  But it still shows the network, and devices are still connected to the network. 

I tried factory reset, but interestingly, it didn't work.  I used a paper clip, the little power light blinked orange/amber, but all my settings remained.  Tried setting up new device in app, but the default orbi setup wifi ssid never showed up.  I tried this 3x...not sure what I'm doing wrong.    Thank you in advance for your help. 

What Firmware is currently loaded?  v2.3.5.30
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Arris TG1672G
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode? Router

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 1600
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. approx. 35ft

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. 2.4g: Auto; 5g: 48
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? Yes, 10 or so

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Not using Armor or Circle; have not tried other settings

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK50 constantly dropping internet

"What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Arris TG1672G"

What mode is the ISP modem running in? Modem or Router? This is a modem with built in router and wifi.

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

We presume the magenta ring is on the RBR? 

Message 2 of 4
newhall523
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply. I will try your suggestions. What frustrates me is that it was working fine before over the past 8ish months. What happened literally over night?

The box and online ad said rbk50, but the ring is magenta. Not sure.
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

The RBR is the RBR50 with in the box. Just making sure which ring you were referring too. The RBR which is the base router or the RBS which is the satellite. 

Let us know about the suggestions. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7