Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK50 dual systems on large campus with a wired ethernet backbone

vernonls
Star

Orbi RBK50 dual systems on large campus with a wired ethernet backbone

Let us suppose that I have multiple static IPs, but I want my LAN to be seamless and my campus is too large to be covered by an Orbi and one or two satellites.  Could I set up the first base/satellite with one static IP and serving one private LAN range and a second base/satellite with a second static IP and serving the same private LAN range, but a different subset of that range.  Such as this:

Base/Satellite #1 WAN = 25.25.26.27 LAN DHCP serves 192.168.1.100-150 with mask=255.255.255.0 and GW=192.168.1.1 and DNS=75.75.75.75

Second Base/Satellite #2 WAN = 25.25.26.26 LAN DHCP serves 192.168.1.50-99 with mask=255.255.255.0 and GW=192.168.1.1 and DNS=75.75.75.75

It seems this ought to work, but I don't know and hope someone smarter than I can answer. Would devices on the first network be able to see the devices on the second network & vice-versa? Would this effectively allow me to have the LAN spread out over a larger geographic area than the wifi range permits assuming that I had a wired ethernet connection for placing the second base/satellite pair in the distance part of the campus? 

Hope someone can comment here.

vern

Message 1 of 2

Re: Orbi RBK50 dual systems on large campus with a wired ethernet backbone

the simple answer is it wont work and if it even came close to working its would be a dogs breakfast interoperability wise

if you have ethernetnet run use propper wireless AP esp for that type of enviornment and client load you will find something like ubiquiti unifi aps will be cheaper and work better

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7