Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK50 how to set up a fixed ip address for a lan port

desperotto
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50 how to set up a fixed ip address for a lan port

I have a media server attached to one of the LAN ports on the Orbi Router.  I've also set up a W10 shared drive to that IP address.  Every once in a while the IP address gets dynamically reassigned and my shared drive gets lost.  Is there some way I can assign a static IP to this port?  I've tried to follow the instructions in the user manual, but I don't have a "LAN" menu option and "Advanced" is always grayed-out -- if I click on it, it takes me to a solid black web page.  I can see my attached devices at orbilogin.com, but I can't find anyway to change the properties.  Any ideas?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 5
netwrks
Master

Are you using the Orbi in Access Point mode?

Message 2 of 5
desperotto
Aspirant

Not sure I know what "Access Point" mode is.  But I did discover that if I type 192.168.1.1 into my browser, I can log in and access the "Advanced" tab.  I still can't get there via orbilogin.com. (???)  I think I was successful in setting up a static IP for my media server once "Advanced" started working.

At the moment I've got Access Control turned on.  Does that mean that any device can connect to my network, or does it still require "credentials" -- network name and password before a device can connect?  I want my network to be secure

Message 3 of 5
netwrks
Master

Access Control creates an Access list, of which devices  can attempt to authenticate on your network. The assumption is, you have changed the default password and default wifi passphrase for the Orbi. You shoud spend some time getting familiar with the Orbi's documentation.

Message 4 of 5
desperotto
Aspirant

Sorry if I seem obtuse.  I had problems understanding the documentation, because until a few minutes ago I was unable to access the screens shown in the documentation.  In the .pdf it says:  

"Select an access rule:

• Allow all new devices to connect. With this setting, if you buy a new device, it can access your network. You don’t need to enter its MAC address on this page. We recommend that you leave this radio button selected."

With the recommended setting (above), does that mean that a guy driving by my house with a WiFi device can automatically connect to my network?  I just want to be certain that the guy would need to know the network password (no, it's not "password") in order to connect.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7