Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK50 - issues with Skype and other remote video services

slavrenz
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50 - issues with Skype and other remote video services

Is anyone else having issues with Skype, Teams, Zoom, etc. running very poorly with the Orbi Mesh Routers? With the stay-at-home measures over the last month, I've noticed frequent issues with poor bandwidth, pixelation, garbled voices, etc.

I realize there are about 1,000 different troubleshooting issues, and I won't detail everything I've done. But suffice it to say, I don't have speed issues with any other apps, I have a 100 Mbps+ connection to Comcast, and the quality of my line (jitter, SNR, etc.) is fine. I've also tried the Port Triggering options for these services to no avail.

I'm happy to entertain suggestions for troubleshooting, but mostly I'm looking to see if issues with Skype, etc. are a known issue with the current firmware (2.5.1.8). I've tried downgrading to an earlier firmware and re-upgrading, and that hasn't really fixed anything.

Message 1 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Orbi RBK50 - issues with Skype and other remote video services

@slavrenz wrote:

Is anyone else having issues with Skype, Teams, Zoom, etc. running very poorly with the Orbi Mesh Routers? With the stay-at-home measures over the last month, I've noticed frequent issues with poor bandwidth, pixelation, garbled voices, etc.

I realize there are about 1,000 different troubleshooting issues, and I won't detail everything I've done. But suffice it to say, I don't have speed issues with any other apps, I have a 100 Mbps+ connection to Comcast, and the quality of my line (jitter, SNR, etc.) is fine. I've also tried the Port Triggering options for these services to no avail.

I'm happy to entertain suggestions for troubleshooting, but mostly I'm looking to see if issues with Skype, etc. are a known issue with the current firmware (2.5.1.8). I've tried downgrading to an earlier firmware and re-upgrading, and that hasn't really fixed anything.

I don't think it's unique to any particular piece of software.  Numerous complaints about (2.5.1.8).

Revert back to the one that was most stable for you....or.....standby for dozens of useless questions that will only waste your time.

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Are the problems see over wired and wireless connections? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Please try a factory reset and setup from scratch with the RBR and RBS. 

Message 3 of 5
slavrenz
Aspirant

Yeah, that's what I was thinking...I've tried all the troubleshooting stuff. Sounds like I need to wait for a new firmware update

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you downgrade FW? 

Be sure Circle or Armor isn't enabled. Circle has been causing problems lately. 

@slavrenz wrote:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking...I've tried all the troubleshooting stuff. Sounds like I need to wait for a new firmware update

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7