Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK50 keeps rebooting!

Akolite
Tutor

Orbi RBK50 keeps rebooting!

Hi there,

Just got my shiny new ORBI RBK50 system and after working well for 2 days, The system keeps rebooting every few hours. The satellite stays on and reconnected to the main unit once it is up but have no idea why its rebooting. I have the latest firmware 2.0.0.74 installed. I have updated to the 2.0.076 firmware as well (for the WPA2 Krack fix) but that has made no change. I have swapped the power supplies (incase that was the issue) as well changed the Orbi router to a different power socket.

Any ideas?? 

I don't want to send it back because when it is working it works great, but I can't have the network dropping every few hours.

Regards,

Devon

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 55
Streak2
Master

I would try a factory reset and if that did not work then look at having the unit replaced.

Is it a proper reboot or a loss of of wifi connectivity?

Message 2 of 55
Akolite
Tutor

Already done the factory reset and got the RMA for a new unit. One thing I have noticed after running a constant ping to the router for the past day... it reboots every 6 hours, give or take 30 seconds... sounds like that could be a firmware issue?
Message 3 of 55
Streak2
Master

Mine would not reboot but lose connectivity to my AT&T gateway from time to time.

The replacement has been perfect.

Message 4 of 55
Akolite
Tutor

So an update... It has been stable for 3 days... now it is rebooting evey 4 to 6 hours again. I think I am going to send it back to get a new one since it is less than a week old.

Message 5 of 55
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Akolite wrote:

So an update... It has been stable for 3 days... now it is rebooting evey 4 to 6 hours again. I think I am going to send it back to get a new one since it is less than a week old.

This has kind of been the story since 1.10.x.

Since 2.0.x came out, my Orbi was rock solid stable for WEEKS.  After a reboot yesterday, the whole system went back to disconnects etc...

No new devices, no configuration changes, no movement in the sats or router, just a reboot and poof, stability is gone.

Message 6 of 55
gloryguy
Tutor

Im having the same issue. Tried all the fixes, new firmware, swapping power supplies, factory rest. Today i returned it to Bestbuy and got a brand new one, went through the whole setup and same problem. Sometimes it will run for 30 munites and sometimes a few hours and then reboots. Did anyone ever figure this out. it has to be a hardware issue as i have had several different versions of firmware that all do the same thing. I had a Nighthawk for years that worked fine? Should i try and rma this for a unit from Netgear and not from Bestbuy. The local store told me that everyone has been returning the AC3000 units? 

Message 7 of 55
Streak2
Master

While I have had a few RBK50 issues in the past, none were related to rebooting.

It's really odd that even the replacement unit does this. As a matter of interest when you installed did it alert you that it would use a different IP range to the IP range of the router from your ISP?

My ISP router is on 192.168 and my RBK50 is on 10.1.

Latest firmware is 2.1.1.12.

As a matter of interest what other devices are plugged into the same socket as the power supply running the Orbi and have any of then suffered any intermittent power issues?

Message 8 of 55
gloryguy
Tutor

My ISP uses a real public ip range, so the router is using 192.168.1.x, no message on boot. There are a few other devices plugged into the same outlet and no intermitent power issues. I have also tried a different outlet. I called support tonight and they are going to RMA me another new one. The replacement I got today was from the same Bestbuy that I got the original one from a few weeks ago . The tech told me that this is a known problem and maybe the second unit I recieved was from the same batch as the first one. I believe it is a hardware issue with either the routers themselves or the power supplies. I have a Nighthawk X6 ac3200 that i have been using with the same setup for 4 years with no issues.

Message 9 of 55
spinkick
Apprentice

Mine is rebooting too every so often can you tell me if the rma fixes it?
Message 10 of 55
eswiderski
Guide

If you're using the latest firmware, this is the issue.  Read the other posts regarding the lasted release.  Complete disaster.

Message 11 of 55
spinkick
Apprentice

nope, rolled back to 2.0.76, same issue. Stable after the initial factory reset, then, once it reboots itself (memory leak?) it **bleep**s the bed and runs really slow no matter how many reboots you do. Pathetic.

Message 12 of 55
gloryguy
Tutor

i have tried 3 of the current firmware versions, all with the same result. The router keeps rebooting. Both units were at 2.0.74 when I got them from Bestbuy. This is why I upgraded them booth to V2.1.1.12 and they still reboot randomly.

Message 13 of 55
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

If your hardware is rebooting I suggest contacting support they will be able to troubleshoot the issue and RMA the unit if needed.

http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

DarrenM

Message 14 of 55
spinkick
Apprentice

@DarrenM What about if your hardware loses performance over a couple days or over a week? 2.0.0.76, 50 mbps until router and bridge restart. 

Message 15 of 55
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I've found that UPNP setting being on did what seemed like a reboot of the router when one of the devices on the network kept sending out bad UPNP settings. The Orbi does not handle clearing UPNP settings well it seems. Turning off UPNP made it stable - no more random disconnects.

Message 16 of 55
vreynolds
Luminary

Mee too.  It keeps rebooting or re-initializing every few hours.  Sometimes, it reboots when I do a speedtest, or start a large download.  I've seen other threads on this - people just troubleshooting one PC, but all my devices (SmartThings hub, security cameras) are reporting a disconnection and reconnection throughout the day.  I am on the beta V2.0.0.76.  Others are warning not to download the latest firmware.  Any opinion on this?  I've had this unit for nearly a year - with the ridiculous short warranty period means I cannot RMA.  I am warning my neighbors to check out these forums for reported problems before making a huge purchase like this.  I love the wifi coverage, but dissapointed with the short warranty and all these problems.  I feel sorry for a non-techy person.

Message 17 of 55
Streak2
Master

You can manually load any of the firmware versions from here https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx#download plus any betas that you may have down loaded to your computer.

So I would try the latest version (while there have been a number of issues reported, it's certainly not a complete disaster, it's been faultless here) to see if that works and roll back if needed.

However, I am of the opinion that once these reboot issues start there is something happening locally that firmware does not seem to address.

Take @DarrenM advice and contact support to arrange for an RMA.

Message 18 of 55
vreynolds
Luminary

@Streak2 wrote:

You can manually load any of the firmware versions from here https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx#download plus any betas that you may have down loaded to your computer.

So I would try the latest version (while there have been a number of issues reported, it's certainly not a complete disaster, it's been faultless here) to see if that works and roll back if needed.

However, I am of the opinion that once these reboot issues start there is something happening locally that firmware does not seem to address.

Take @DarrenM advice and contact support to arrange for an RMA.

Thanks. I will try this firmware update.  I don't have a backup router as I donated my near-perfect R7000 to my brother-in-law.  As I mentioned before when I tried to contact support, I am presented with an option to purchase support.  I've had this unit for nearly a year, and out of warranty.  

Message 19 of 55
Streak2
Master

I think the warranty is a year. Have you been here

https://kb.netgear.com/26905/Creating-a-Support-Case-through-MyNETGEAR

to create a support case?

Message 20 of 55
spinkick
Apprentice

They will not try and troubleshoot, your only option after 3 months and under a year is rma. I really feel like it's firmware problems, though
Message 21 of 55
vreynolds
Luminary

Ok, so I updated both to latest firmware v2.1.1.12.  Lets see if that makes a difference.  I checked my purchase date, looks like I still have a few months left before the 1 year mark.  Thanks all.

Message 22 of 55
gloryguy
Tutor

@aaz wrote:

I've found that UPNP setting being on did what seemed like a reboot of the router when one of the devices on the network kept sending out bad UPNP settings. The Orbi does not handle clearing UPNP settings well it seems. Turning off UPNP made it stable - no more random disconnects.

I was also wondering about UPNP, everythme my router rebooted, I would see UPNP messages in the logs for devices that did not require UPNP. I also turned off UNPN and since doing this the router has not rebooted a single time. The router has been running for 3 days now with no issues and no reboots. Im going to skip the RMA for now because I think AAZ may have found the issue.

Message 23 of 55
fitsnugly
Star

Have the reboots been determined to be a firmware issue or faulty hardware?

Message 24 of 55
Bchildress
Star

I bought my RBK50 in October 2016 and it worked solid till a couple of months ago. It got embarrassing having 50 devices go offline all the time and with only internet TV, it was extremely annoying. So I would say it's firmware. Since I was passed a year for my purchase I didn't want to throw more money at it as I didn't see any solution so I bought the Velop and it worked great. I would gladly swap it out to NETGEAR for a refurbished unit as I feel bad trying to sell it and maybe it could help them isolate problem.
Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 25 of 55
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7