Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK50 keeps rebooting!

evancg
Guide

I bought an Orbi three unit set at Costco and it started randomly rebooting. Saw the Walmart deal for 2 units for $200 (didn't really need the third) and figured I probably had defective hardware, so returned the Costco set and got the Walmart deal. I still have 2 - 4 random reboots a day!

Almost certainly not hardware related, so very frustrating. I hope turning off UPNP isn't the answer, because that's just ridiculous - UPNP has been around for years, and the Orbi's are replacing a Nighthawk AC1900 that handles UPNP JUST fine. What's going on here and why hasn't Netgear responded? At the very least update the logging system so we can see what's occuring just before the reboot.

I noticed the debug screen has an option to enable logging - hoping it can log to a flash drive or something so I can try and capture what happens just before the reboot - but if something like that is possible for debugging purposes I would ASSUME Netgear is already doing this to resolve this issue for us.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 26 of 55
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Evancg

What firmware version are you on?

DarrenM

Message 27 of 55
evancg
Guide

I was on the latest (1.1.16?) but downgraded to 0.0.74 earlier today in hopes of some stability.
Message 28 of 55
gloryguy
Tutor

it wasnt upnp, that helped it for a few days and then the router started rebooting again. Evene though I purchased this on Black Friday, Bestbuy let me retuen it a few days back and I went with the Velop's. They run perfectly, no issues. I really wanted to make the Orbi's work but I didnt want to put more time into this and then be stuck as it was to late to return them like most people on here. I have been using Netgear for years and im really disapointed and worried about buying anymore Netgear products. I was going to purchase the Arlo cams but went with Ring instead. I hope Netgear gets this worked out for everyone, especily for those of you that have shelled out 400.00 for bricks that its to late to return. Especialy you guys that originaly had these working and then the dreaded firmware update.

Message 29 of 55
evancg
Guide

Wow, it wasn't UPNP for you, and it seems it wasn't firmware related for me. Random reboot on 0.0.74 just a couple hours ago. What a garbage system. I'm out of town for the next few days (feel sorry for my dog sitter and the garbage WiFi coverage!) but as soon as I get back I'll be looking at a differentg WiFi system.

Absolutely unacceptable to have a WiFi router randomly rebooting at any moment. My Nighthawk 1900 never did this. Netgear should be ashamed to release such garbage.
Message 30 of 55
madbrain
Luminary

I'm also having reboot issues. And more problematically, some of the wireless devices just don't come back online at all after the router reboot.

I was using my Orbi router as a single router. Just went back to R7000 for wired, and Orbi in AP mode. That seems to work better.

I have installed Smokeping on my wired Odroid XU4 to track connectivity to various from it to devices.

Hardware topology is like this :

- Odroid XU4 using gigabit LAN port

- hooked up to Trendnet 16-port gigabit switch

- R7000 LAN port #1 goes to same Trendnet switch

- R7000 LAN port #2 goes to Orbi router in AP mode

- R7000 WAN port goes to MB8600 cable modem

- two Orbi satellites, using wireless backhaul

Here are some of the relevant stats :

Ping to R7000 wired router.Ping to R7000 wired router.Ping to MB8600 wired cable modem.Ping to MB8600 wired cable modem.Ping to wired Orbi router in AP mode.Ping to wired Orbi router in AP mode.Ping to Orbi satellite 1 with wireless backhaul.Ping to Orbi satellite 1 with wireless backhaul.Ping to Orbi satellite 2 with wireless backhaul.Ping to Orbi satellite 2 with wireless backhaul.Ping to wemo switch #1, wireless 2.4 GHz.Ping to wemo switch #1, wireless 2.4 GHz.Ping to wemo switch #2, wireless 2.4 GHz.Ping to wemo switch #2, wireless 2.4 GHz.Ping to Juicebox #1, wireless 2.4 GHz.Ping to Juicebox #1, wireless 2.4 GHz.Ping to Juicebox #2, wireless 2.4 GHz.Ping to Juicebox #2, wireless 2.4 GHz.Orbi router log showing  reboot.Orbi router log showing reboot.
As you can see, my Juicebox #2 , which is connected to the Orbi AP via Wifi, went down shortly before 2am. And then never reconnected. It's averaging 21.15% for the last 3 hours. And still hasn't reconnected.

I looked at the Orbi reboot log, and it showed a reboot at 1:56am ! I was watching a movie at that time and not doing anything with the computer.

Meanwhile, at those same times, you can see zero packet loss for pings to the wired R7000, cable modem, and internet (google DNS).

Clearly the Orbi AP reboot is the root cause of the problem.  It is strange that the Juicebox #2 won't reconnect after the Orbi reboot, though. What this means as a consequence is that the electric car plugged to it may stop charging.

There is also some noticeable on all the Wifi devices being monitored (numbers for the last 3 hours only):

- Wemo switch #1 averaging 1.14% packet loss
- Wemo switch #2 averaging 0.94% packet loss

- Orbi satellite #1 averaging 1.15% packet loss

- Orbi satellite #2 averaging 3.03% packet loss

- Juicebox #1 averaging 1.4% packet loss

Message 31 of 55
gloryguy
Tutor

I really, really wanted to make the Orbi's work. I did what I thought was a lot of reaserch before the purchase. Read all all the reviews, checked all the comparison reports and everything I read said they were awsome and wireless beasts. I have to admit, that I never checked these forums before buying them. I wonit make that mistake again! I have had the Nighthawk X6 8000 for 4 or 5 years and a 1900 extender on the 1st floor. It worked pretty well, but with all the mesh hype and just being able to plug in a new router in dead spots etc.... After installing the Orbi's, the first few hours they worked great and then the wife started complaining about her phone and tablet dropping the wireless connection. Then no connection to the alarm and then no Vera controller connection and then no Ring door bell connection. My wife was not happy that I spent 400.00 to ruin our I read about. Different firmware versions, swapping the power adapters, moving units around. When I called support the tech told me thatI had already tried everything that he had in his support script. I figured it must be hardware, so back to Bestbuy for a swap. The new units were exactly the same, random reboots, different hardware? So then I thought well maybe the Bestbuy store had the same batch and I went and swapped them again at a third different store. Same issue! Then I tried turning off UPNP as someone had sugested on here. That seemed to work for a few days and then the reboots started again. I also noticed during the few days that it wasnt rebooting on its own, that the speed was terrible. If I did a speed test when the router first booted up it would be right around 100 mbps down and 10 mbps up. after an hour or so it would drop to around 50 mbps down and 4 mbps up. If I rebooted the router, it would be back to full speed but only four an hour or so. I tested this on the last 4 or 5 firmware revisions with the same results. I read alot of comments from useres that had these working with no issues for a year or so and then after a firmware upgrade several months bck, the problems started. I work from home so all of this was a huge deal to me. If im on a support call with a customer and remoted into them and suddenly the router drops or keeps dropping during our call then.... I thought to myself, if I wait and see if I can fix this or wait for a new firmware version and this takes months or never gets fixed at all then im out 400.00 and be way by the point that I could return them and get something different. I went to Bestbuy and because they extend there return/refund policy during the holidays, I was able to swap th Orbis out for the Velops. The difference was night and day, no more reboots or dropped connections or speed issues. Works awesome now and the wife is happy. We all know that Netgear makes great products, I have been using thier products for years! From the Prosafe firewalls to the Nighthawks, I have never had any issues. I really think they just need to concentrate on the firmware issue and get this fixed before they alienate alot of long time customers. I also think that users with older wireless devices and devices with subpar wireless controllers like Ring are going to have issues regardless. The whole new mesh wireless networking craze and the claim that devices will just switch between networks on the fly and pick the optimal router or satelite is I think a little optimistic, especialy with older wireless devices or devices like Ring or Vera plus etc.

Message 32 of 55
Streak2
Master

These random reboots would drive me around the bend!

I must say though that as one of the beta testers for Orbi neither I nor any of the other testers ever experience this reboot problem.

That's across many firmware versions and various versions of the Orbi eg. 50, 40 etc. and over a period of many months.

I still believe that these reboot issues are environment related and almost impossible to reproduce in the lab. Send me your rebooting unit and it will work perfectly here, I send you my working unit and it will start rebooting at your home.

Not an easy one for Netgear to get to the bottom of but I certainly hope they do

Message 33 of 55
vreynolds
Luminary

I can re-create at will, usually when I haven't been using the phone for a while, then use it..Typically around 4 or 5am when I wake up.  I touch my phone, check my email..and I lose wifi.  When I am at my desk, and working on a ethernet connected laptop, same thing happens.  The act of waking my phone and using internet is making the Orbi reboot.  Sometimes it is twice a day, and sometimes it is 4 or 5 times a day.  Any way to keep logs of the disconnections in an app?

I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 (AT&T).  Others on Pixel 2 phones are also reporting this issue (but not all Pixel owners have this problem).  So tough to get to the bottom of this!  I am ready to give up, but spent a lot of money on this router.

OK, I realize I am posting the same thing on multiple threads...forgive me.  There are so many threads on this!

Message 34 of 55
Streak2
Master

So is this a case of the Orbi losing internet connectivity with your router or a case of it rebooting.

Two different problems.

I have experienced the former problem previously but not for many months now and since my RBR50 was replaced.

I have an S7 Edge the rest of the family have Iphones all working fine.

Message 35 of 55
vreynolds
Luminary

@Streak2 wrote:

So is this a case of the Orbi losing internet connectivity with your router or a case of it rebooting.

Two different problems.

I have experienced the former problem previously but not for many months now and since my RBR50 was replaced.

I have an S7 Edge the rest of the family have Iphones all working fine.

I'll say it's rebooting.  It goes through the colors on the router and the satellite.  Also, after the reboot, the log on the router shows: 

[Initialized, firmware version: V2.1.1.16] Saturday, December 23, 2017 09:33:25

Perhaps someone with networking experience can confirm or not if this log entry means it's reboting.

Message 36 of 55
madbrain
Luminary

@Streak2 wrote:

These random reboots would drive me around the bend!

I must say though that as one of the beta testers for Orbi neither I nor any of the other testers ever experience this reboot problem.

That's across many firmware versions and various versions of the Orbi eg. 50, 40 etc. and over a period of many months.

I still believe that these reboot issues are environment related and almost impossible to reproduce in the lab. Send me your rebooting unit and it will work perfectly here, I send you my working unit and it will start rebooting at your home.

Not an easy one for Netgear to get to the bottom of but I certainly hope they do

Agree they may not be reproducible in the lab. However, Netgear should have some sort of telemetrics/debugging built into the device to record the crash stacks / kernel dumps that cause the reboots.

What is really infuriating is that after 3 months, you have to pay for support incidents, even when they are device bugs.

And the firmware updates are still forced, so there is no way to stay on a "stable" version.

At this point, most of us are paying beta testers for Orbi, ie. suckers.

My Orbi AP just had yet another reboot an hour ago. Second one in less than 12 hours. All my wireless devices went down during that time.

Since I'm now using a separate R7000 wired router for internet, and Orbi in AP mode, all my wired devices remained up.

Message 37 of 55
Bchildress
Star

Yes, I think it is issue with handling additional WIFI signals with certain characteristics hitting on same frequency. This is based on me catching the Google Home office.k network being on at the same moment that my router rebooted. That blast from Google Home triggers the reboot for me , in many cases.

I would suggest that Netgear place a Google home or two in their lab and they may have a repeatable situation.

Obviously it is not the only trigger but if they can reproduce that scenario, I suspect that the solution for that, may likely also address a number of other scenarios that result in a reboot.

Message 38 of 55
godspeed
Apprentice

@Bchildress Do you have Guest Mode enabled, on your Google Home?  If so, that enables a hidden SSID emanating from the Home.  Additionally, when the Google Home is no longer on the network, it starts its own SSID to enable re-setup.

see:  https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/googlehome/wSxsrr_HvWI

Message 39 of 55
Bchildress
Star

I don’t have guest mode on but I’m reversing my thoughts on this. I was thinking that the fact that I saw Office.k when I became aware of reboot happening meant it was the trigger, now I’m pretty sure it’s broadcasting that because it also lost WiFi and that’s what it does when that happens, I.e. it’s a victim
Message 40 of 55
mastervisa30
Luminary

Now my router have starting to rebooting,for the first time,my router has been rebooting by its self,happend to times yesterday,now im back on beta version 76 and everythings seems to work again,all ok on beta 76 version,uppdated to latest then it was working some days and the the router starting to reboot by its self,everything is of when im testing to make sure testing the firmwares.
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 41 of 55
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Agree that Netgear needs to troubleshoot this and resolve it, but my experience with their support was less than useless and their suggestions to try some things were effectively designed as time wasters that had nothing to do with the issue.

Message 42 of 55
mastervisa30
Luminary

I have tested asus lyra and linksys velop in august then it was too many bugs,now im trying orbi i think was the best and fastest,but i can not keep this if its staring rebootings by its self some times,my children wife and family doesnt like this,we have a lots of devices,laptops,ipdads,iphones,ip camera,philips hue many others,ehen rebooting by its selv i got a lots of problem gett devices to start again,if not sending back i januar when my return expires,does anyone have tested some other mesh system,if im sending back what mesh system should i get?maybe i can get asus ac5300?i have a big family and big house
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 43 of 55
RSRA
Star

Like a number of colleagues, we have returned our Orbis to Amazon for a refund. I can wholeheartedly recommend the Zyxel Multy X if you are looking for stable, reliable, fast WiFi coverage over a large area - this kit has offered flawless performance thus far, including a firmware update that added new functionality without causing any problems whatsoever. Whilst the Orbi looks attractive on paper and in the reviews, the testimony of so many users here confirm that it is not with taking the risk if you value your patience and time!
Message 44 of 55
mastervisa30
Luminary

Im gonna have some time inn christmas time and think,after new year im gonna decide if im gonna return my orbi sett,and gett me Zyxel Multy X Tri-Band AC3000 ?maybe Zyxel Multy X Tri-Band AC3000 is gonna beat orbi.Have a good christmas everyone and happy new year.

I can return my orbi free and get my money back if i send it before 15january.

I live in Norway and i think im gonna buyher https://www.komplett.no/product/961948/datautstyr/nettverk/routere/zyxel-multy-x-tri-band-ac 3000#

and here is a link https://www.pocnetwork.net/technology-news/review-zyxel-multy-x-ac3000-tri-band-wifi-mesh-network/

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System, RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 45 of 55
xlerate
Guide

I found this thread searching for the same issue.

Just setup my Orbi RBK50 yesterday and was blown away by the performance and tossed my Actiontec into storage box.

And just now, my workstation (connected by Ethernet) drops connection, the network connection shows disconnected. I check my phone, Orbi offline. Comes back online shortly after with no issue.

firmware version: V2.0.0.74

Message 46 of 55
xlerate
Guide

@Bchildress wrote:
I don’t have guest mode on but I’m reversing my thoughts on this. I was thinking that the fact that I saw Office.k when I became aware of reboot happening meant it was the trigger, now I’m pretty sure it’s broadcasting that because it also lost WiFi and that’s what it does when that happens, I.e. it’s a victim

I did oddly notice my 3 Google Home's broadcasting an SSID yesterday but I have Guest mode disabled on all of them.

Message 47 of 55
xlerate
Guide

There is a 2.1.1.16 firmware available NETGEAR Support RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.1.1.16

Has anyone that installed this able to report if this addresses the issue?

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes the issue where connected devices do not display on the Attached Devices page.
  • Fixes the issue where connected devices on the Attached Devices page do not displays the correct Orbi that they’re connected to.
  • Fixes the issue where the CPU usage is high when the Orbi in AP mode.
Message 48 of 55
Hydro130
Luminary

@xlerate wrote:

There is a 2.1.1.16 firmware available NETGEAR Support RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.1.1.16

Has anyone that installed this able to report if this addresses the issue?

I installed it the day it was released, and it's been working great for me.  However, I've never had any issues with random reboots in the past either.

Message 49 of 55
eswiderski
Guide

I've been on .16 for a few days without any reboots/weirdness.  On thing to keep in mind:  the grass is not always greener.  I have a 4500 sq ft house with over 100 nodes...have been through Google Wifi and Velop.  Orbis is best so far, even with glitches.

Message 50 of 55
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7