Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK50 locks up internal networking

Greg00001
Star

Orbi RBK50 locks up internal networking

I purchased a Netgear factory renewed RBK50 kit (RBR50 Router) on Amazon in November of 2018.  After initial pains of setting it up everything has been working well until the last few months.  I will be streaming a show and all of the sudden it will stop saying no internet.  At this point all of the internal networking will stop working.  All wired clients show a network connection but can not access the internet.  I also can not access any shares on the network.  I can't access anything on my Netgear ReadyNAS, networked printers or other computers.  All wireless devices are still connected to the wireless but can't access anything either.  I try the Orbi app on my phone when it is connected to the wireless but it can't find the Orbi.  If I turn the wireless off on the phone and go on cellular data, I can connect to the Orbi via remote connection.  If I do a speed test it says everything is fine and it show it has an internet connection.  From the app I can reboot the Orbi and after the reboot everything is fine until the next lockup. I can not contact support since it shows I am not eligible for any support after 90 days. I do have Circle and Armor but even with them both turn off, it still happened.  I'm thinking it may be a hardware problem. I really don't want to factory reset everything do to custom reservervations and port forwards.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Greg 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?

IF the FW was updated to v60, was a full reset on the system performed and setup from scratch. This maybe needed. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling WMM, Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

How often does this happen?

Is it always the same streaming device which causes the problem?

What ports are forwarded (and why)?

The Orbi is in "router" mode.  What device is the Orbi connected to, and how is it configured?

I would prepare for a factory reset.  There are definite steps that can be taken to make it less painful.

To begin with, take screen shots of configuration pages.

There is a forum thread explaining how to create a text file that can be used in a telnet session to recreate all of the device IP assignments, devicen names, device types, etc. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Quick-way-to-re-enter-your-IP-reservations-after-factory-reset... 

Message 3 of 7
Greg00001
Star

Sorry I haven't responded sooner but I've been doing some testing.  I got so fed up with the lockups (it started with the 2.3.1.48 and 2.3.1.60 firmware) that I decided to downgrade the firmware.  I saw a post about Armor (which I had disabled but it would still lockup https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/Anyone-seeing-internet-connection-drops-with-Armor-en... ) so I wanted to get rid of it.  I downloaded and installed  the firmware 2.2.1.212 but forgot the instructions to disable the auto firmware update so during the time I was looking it downloaded and reinstalled 2.3.1.60.  I'll probably jinx myself but ever since I downgraded to the older firmware and then directly to the new, it has not locked up since. And Armor is enabled.  It has been over a week now and no lockup.

Just to answer a few of the questions:

I have a Arris SB6141 modem which I own and has no router, nor wifi.  It is just a modem.

The Orbi is router mode with one satellite on the opposite wall of the house, Orbi router in the lower level and satellite on the upper.

It lockup would happen on multiple streaming devices.

Port forwarding is for outdoor security cameras.

I did not change anything from the default advanced settings on the Orbi.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Next time try a factory reset after v60 is loaded and setup from scratch. Choose not to enable Circle or Armor after setting up, and see if the network still locks up. If not, then enable Armor and check again. My system is on v60 however I don't use Armor. 

Message 5 of 7
sergio_mb
Aspirant

I've been facing the same issues here at home. Started to happen after I installed some WiFi Ip security cameras (7 in total)...Except for the "20/40Mhz coexistance" that was able, every other configuration was set as proposed below by FURRYe38. Will disable "20/40Mhz" feature above and see what happens. Thanks for the support. All the best, Sergio

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Does the system work if you only put say 3 cameras online? 

How many other devices do you have online at once alone with these cameras? 

What resolution settings are on these cameras? IF there all set for high resolution and you have 7 online all at the same time, maybe bandwidth over load. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

@sergio_mb wrote:

I've been facing the same issues here at home. Started to happen after I installed some WiFi Ip security cameras (7 in total)...Except for the "20/40Mhz coexistance" that was able, every other configuration was set as proposed below by FURRYe38. Will disable "20/40Mhz" feature above and see what happens. Thanks for the support. All the best, Sergio

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7