Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK50 loses speed every day without daily reboot

Eyesea2020
Follower

Orbi RBK50 loses speed every day without daily reboot

Hi, read on a blog that ChristineT Admin could help me, if I sent her my

Orbi (Model RBK50 mesh with 1 indoor and 1 outdoor satellite). 

I have spent countless hours on the phone with NetGear, mostly trying to get connected to the mythical Orbi support department, only to be disconnected after 30+ minutes on hold.  
Without rebooting every day, my wireless speed drops from 200+ to the mid 50’s; Comcast Xfinity 1.2GB plan, speed verified by direct Ethernet connection.

Jeff

Message 1 of 4
CrazyEddie
Apprentice

I can't say whether @ChristineT can help with this - she has had her hands full for the last few days with another technical issue (also on the community boards). 

Do your speeds improve when you power down the cable modem?  FWIW, I have Xfinity and have periodic problems with my wifi and since one of the main "cures" was to turn off the cable modem, I finally took the extreme step of connecting the modem to a daily timer so that it powers down every night and then turns back on a minute later. I don't think you should be required to do that with the Orbi system, and I don't think I should have to do it with my cable modem either, but 

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@Eyesea2020 wrote:

Hi, read on a blog that ChristineT Admin could help me, if I sent her my

Orbi (Model RBK50 mesh with 1 indoor and 1 outdoor satellite). 

I have spent countless hours on the phone with NetGear, mostly trying to get connected to the mythical Orbi support department, only to be disconnected after 30+ minutes on hold.  
Without rebooting every day, my wireless speed drops from 200+ to the mid 50’s; Comcast Xfinity 1.2GB plan, speed verified by direct Ethernet connection.

Jeff

Message 3 of 4
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Eyesea2020 ,

I understand that you are having issues with the internet speeds on your router dropping from 200+ to the mid 50’s. Please ensure your system is updated to the latest released firmware. Also, please ensure your router is in AP mode. 

Putting router into AP mode:

Select ADVANCED> Advanced Setup> Router /APmode >AP Mode> APPLY.

Please navigate to the links below for the current firmware version download link:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx#download

Cheers!

Kevin

Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7