Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK50 major headache

Triumph-man
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50 major headache

Hi All

Im having an absolute nightmare !

Please someone help before I go insane.

Ive set up my orbi at least 3 times now and ive had it working at least once

Using it through a BT smarthub.

Ive downloaded the orbi software onto my samsung tab s3 but this keeps blocking me so I suspect it has something to do with my issue.

Anyway, pc is now connected to Orbi but everything keeps reporting "No internet access"

I had it working last night, but today its gone back to wifi only.

Im an absolute novice and will require a step by step guide as I simply dont understand whats going on here

Someone please give me the benefit of your experience

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK50 major headache

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Most BT Smart Hubs have a built in router and wifi already which will cause a double NAT condition and connection problems with a external router connected such as the Orbi.

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@Triumph-man wrote:

Hi All

Im having an absolute nightmare !

Please someone help before I go insane.

Ive set up my orbi at least 3 times now and ive had it working at least once

Using it through a BT smarthub.

Ive downloaded the orbi software onto my samsung tab s3 but this keeps blocking me so I suspect it has something to do with my issue.

Anyway, pc is now connected to Orbi but everything keeps reporting "No internet access"

I had it working last night, but today its gone back to wifi only.

Im an absolute novice and will require a step by step guide as I simply dont understand whats going on here

Someone please give me the benefit of your experience

Message 2 of 17
Chuck_M
Mentor

What would be very helpful is you describing all equipment you have between the street and your Orbi.  This includes make and models of cable modem, router, switches or whatever that end up plugging into Orbi.

Chances are you have a slight misconfiguration or a double-nat condition which would cause this.

Message 3 of 17
Triumph-man
Aspirant

My current set up is...

Internet comes in from the street into my BT Smarthub

My orbi plugs into smarthub

Looking at the replies below..yes, I obviously have a clash between smarthub and orbi, but im not in the least bit technical and I dont understand the terminology to rectify it.

What I also dont understand is why my Tab s3 will no longer let me access the orbilogin

Message 4 of 17
Triumph-man
Aspirant

having reset the orbi and gone back to my BT smarthub, I can now no longer get online on my galaxy tab s3 using BT

It says "Failed to obtain IP address"

Message 5 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP modem already has a built in router and WiFi so adding the Orbi router is causing a double NAT condition which is casuing problems and possible conflict of IP addressing between the ISP modem and Orbi router. 

Please review the 3 suggestions I posted about. You may want to contact your ISP and ask for a tech to help you with configuring the modem for option 1 or 2 and if those don't work, You can configure the Orbi router for AP Mode and let your modem be the host router. 

@Triumph-man wrote:

My current set up is...

Internet comes in from the street into my BT Smarthub

My orbi plugs into smarthub

Looking at the replies below..yes, I obviously have a clash between smarthub and orbi, but im not in the least bit technical and I dont understand the terminology to rectify it.

What I also dont understand is why my Tab s3 will no longer let me access the orbilogin

Message 6 of 17
Triumph-man
Aspirant

Thanks Furry

Lets suppose I was going to try option 3

How do I go about this and in what order do I cahnge things ?

If I disable the radio on my BT beforehand then surely that will stop everything else working ?

How do I set up orbi as my modem ? AP mode ?

Message 7 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you need to disable the WiFI on the modem. 

You can set up the same SSID and PW on the Orbi. So when you go to configure the Orbi for AP mode, set this up first, then you can disable the Wifi on the modem lastly. Then turn ON or connect the Orbi up. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@Triumph-man wrote:

Thanks Furry

Lets suppose I was going to try option 3

How do I go about this and in what order do I cahnge things ?

If I disable the radio on my BT beforehand then surely that will stop everything else working ?

How do I set up orbi as my modem ? AP mode ?

Message 8 of 17
Triumph-man
Aspirant

Now that is the bit I dont understand.

If I need to alter the settings in Orbi from a device whcih is connected to the orbi network ?????

How do I connect to the network if I havent set it up yet ?

Message 9 of 17
Triumph-man
Aspirant

"You can set up the same SSID and PW on the Orbi"

Do you mean I rename my orbi to match my current source ?

ie - BThomehub6 - PX etc ?

Message 10 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

IF thats what you are using for the WiFI SSID name on the Modem, yes.

Message 11 of 17
Chuck_M
Mentor

Option 1 would provide greater capability out of orbi

Message 12 of 17
Chuck_M
Mentor

How do I enable bridge mode on my BT Business Hub?

Not sure which hub or router you're using? Find your model.
Need support for other hubs and routers? Check out our other help articles.

To enable bridge mode on the BT Business Hub 5, simply:

1. On a PC or laptop connected to your hub, enter http://btbusinesshub.home or 192.168.1.254
  2. Click on Advanced Settings
  3. Enter your Admin password if prompted (can be found on the base of your Hub) and click Ok.
    If it doesn't accept the admin password, click on Hint. If there is a hint then a custom password has been setup. You will need to enter this, then click on Ok.
  4. Click Continue to Advanced Settings
  5. Choose the Broadband tab, then click on the Routing tab
  6. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to Bridging
  7. Tick Yes next to Enabled
  8. If you're sure click Yes on the next screen 

Your BT Business Hub should now be in bridge mode. You will need to change the settings on your other Router to use connection type PPPoA for ADSL connections and PPPoE for fibre connections. Depending on the Hub you're bridging to, you may need to enter your broadband connection details on your other router. 

To enable bridge mode on the BT Business Hub 3, simply:

1. Open your web browser and enter http://btbusinesshub.home or 192.168.1.254 to open the Hub Manager
  2. Select Settings
  3. When prompted, enter the admin password and click OK.
    If it doesn't accept the admin password, click on Hint. If there is a hint then a custom password has been setup. You will need to enter this, then click on OK.
  4. Click Advanced Settings and then click Continue to Advanced Settings
  5. Choose the Broadband tab, then click on the Routing tab
  6. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to Bridging
  7. Tick Yes next to Bridging
  8. And then Apply
Your BT Business Hub should now be in bridge mode. You will need to change the settings on your other Router to use connection type PPPoA for ADSL connections and PPPoE for fibre connections. Depending on the Hub you're bridging to, you may need to enter your broadband connection details on your other router.
Message 13 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

I does however for ease of setup for now, AP mode would be recommended. Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 17
Triumph-man
Aspirant

, ive followed option 3 and now seem to have internet connection to the orbi across, with one exception.

My pc refuses to connect to the orbi and insists on staying connected to my bt hub ?

Any reason why this would be and what can I do to rectify it ?

Thanks in advance

Message 15 of 17
ekhalil
Master

@Triumph-man wrote:

My pc refuses to connect to the orbi and insists on staying connected to my bt hub ?

Please switch off the wifi in the BT hub.

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you turn off the wifi on the HUB? 

Check the PC to see if it connects wired to the Orbi system. 

Be sure that your any wireless adapters are disabled on the PC, then re-enabled after the wifi is turned OFF on the HUB. 

You might remove any prior wifi profiles from the adapter and let the adapter rescan and reconnect to the Orbi after turning OFF the WIFI if the adapter fails to reconnect to the Orbi system. 

@Triumph-man wrote:

, ive followed option 3 and now seem to have internet connection to the orbi across, with one exception.

Thanks in advance

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7